PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeding...

yerturfsux
05-18-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing one of the 300 gallon tank models and was wondering what you guys thought about them and your luck with the results. It sounds fairly good, but my questionare these:

1. If my rotor heads are set to water both new installed plants and turf, are my plants going to require more water than what my hydroseeded area needs? Yes, I know summer is here and the new plants need as much as I can throw to them, but is this still ok for the hydroseeded area to recieve this much water?

2. What are the options for medium? I heard paper, "mulch", etc. plus the seed and fert.

3. Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

I personally have never used one before, but it seems logical. Has anyone used one that could provide info? Thanks.

turfquip
05-18-2003, 09:16 PM
To answer your questions...

1) Newly hydroseeded areas need to be moistened once or twice a day in order to facilitate germination. Drenching to the point of creating puddles or excessive run-off on sloped areas is too much water.

Once germination has occurred (10 - 14 days average) then the new area needs the equivalent of 1 inch of water per week, either by rainfall or irrigation.

2) Hydromulch is available as cellulose paper, wood fibres, or a combination of both. The slurry produced by the machine will include the appropriate mulch type for your machine plus seed, fertilizer, a product called 'tackifier' which acts as both a slurry lubricant during the mixing and spraying process and a binding agent once the slurry has been applied.

There are also a host of amendments...some of which facilitate rapid germination, soil PH corrections, erosion control, etc. The necessity and appropriateness of these amendments are job 'specific'.

3) Without turning this into a commercial let me give you a link that you may like to follow. Good luck with your decision.

click here (http://www.turfquip.com/hydroseeding.html)

Harleyman
05-18-2003, 11:22 PM
yes new lawns need to be watered twice daily to get good germination and growth. They also need to be refertilized in about 3 weeks. We have been running a 600 gallon Machine for 3 years , runs good but seems a little to small, 300 gallon would be really small and i don't think you will be happy with it. Bigger jobs will come along and you will be kicking yourself ever after!!!
We started running a new paper this year and i really like it, i have been a wood guy forever but with a jet it beats the H@ll out of the machine and you. If you email me i will tell you what machine we have and what type of mulch we use, I have had a few problems with my machine that I had to fix with no help from th manfacture, I prefer not to give there name on any board.

turfquip
05-18-2003, 11:29 PM
"We started running a new paper this year and i really like it"

What brand are you refering too? In my experience Applegate makes the very best cellulose :)

GreginAlaska
05-19-2003, 01:05 AM
I would suggest a mechanical agitated machine. I've run mechanical and jet and much prefer the mechanical. It mixes the slurry much faster especially with wood mulches.

Now if someone could come up with a composite tanked mechanical agitated machine, that would be just great!

Heller Landscaping
05-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I know this is getting off track how do you get your customers to water 2 times a day? I can't get them to water one a day.:angry:

Harleyman
05-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Yes that is the mulch i am now using.
Watering 2 times a day that is what it states in my material. I know many do not water twice a day, they do it once if, and then over water and call back bitiching about there lawn not comming in good. then i piss and moan about them and usally take care of it. It is a pain in the A%% for what little money we are able to get for lawn installation around here. The large companies will yell that the prices are way to low for lawn installation but it is there fault they are so low, they just keep the price the same as it was 10 years ago so they can spray for everbody in the state!:angry:

turfquip
05-20-2003, 08:14 AM
"I know this is getting off track how do you get your customers to water 2 times a day? I can't get them to water one a day"

Its real ez in my opinion. Pick A, B, C or a combination :-)

A) Remind them they've purchased a 'premium' service and in order for them to protect their investment they will need to follow your instructions.

B) Remind them that if they cannot keep the area properly watered, it will not grow, and further, you (the installer) will not be responsible for the results.

C) Offer to sell them follow up watering service as well.