PDA

View Full Version : question about sod

theyatesies
05-18-2003, 08:37 PM
I am in the process of putting sod down in my backyard where there is nothing. I have though a bunch of rocks scattered from some driveway work I had done. My question is this. Can i put some dirt down over what I have(the rock) and then lay the sod down or will that matter? This will be fescue.

If I can put dirt down what kind and how do I figure how much I need. I actually need to raise the ground level a little.

Anyone that can help.

Lance

turfquip
05-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Can you provide a little more information?

Why is there nothing there now...was there ever any grass growing back there?

Gene $immons
05-18-2003, 10:37 PM
I would try to prep the area as good as possible by raking up or removing large rocks and debris. Then add 1 to 2 inches of fresh topsoil. Most topsoil places here in OKC will only deliver a minimum of 5 yards, which is quite a bit of dirt. Then lay the sod, water on a regular basis for the remainder of the summer. GO SOONERS!

Gene Simmons

theyatesies
05-19-2003, 12:01 AM
theres nothing there now because the back yard was wooded when we moved in and I'm just now getting it cleared and ready for the next step.

Gene where in c. oklahoma are you located?

kris
05-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Green side up.;)

Georgiehopper
05-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Its difficult to grow nice turf over top of rocks. You will get dry spots that die out during times of drought. I would remove the rocks first, unless you have an irrigation system installed.

Since this was a wooded area at one time, you should do a soil test, and amend the soil with compost and lime and whatever else the soil test says you need. Your local cooperative extension office probably offers this testing service.

Mike Bradbury
05-21-2003, 12:10 AM
former wood lots are the worst. That decaying cellulose screws up the soil. I wouldn't spend the money on sod. Seed is hardier and cheaper (you'll be redoing it in 3 years in all likelyhood).

bushwoods1
05-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Mike Bradbury
former wood lots are the worst. That decaying cellulose screws up the soil. I wouldn't spend the money on sod. Seed is hardier and cheaper (you'll be redoing it in 3 years in all likelyhood).

I agree why waste your money on expensive sod? Get the rocks out of there, fill in any low spots, seed and straw.