PDA

View Full Version : Work Guarantees

Georgiehopper
05-19-2003, 08:34 AM
What kind of guarantees do you guys offer on your work?

Do you guarantee your hardscape and for how long?

What about your plants?

We guarantee our hardscape one year.

We guarantee our shrub/tree plantings one year.

We guarantee our perennials 90 days.

No guarantee on annuals or transplanted plants.

Heller Landscaping
05-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Are you an insurance company to? I am not.

Georgiehopper
05-19-2003, 08:58 AM
No, I'm not an insurance company, but without a guarantee you don't get much work. I mark up my materials to cover losses should they occur.

I don't cover plants against things like drought or other acts of God.

kris
05-19-2003, 09:30 AM
We do the same. One year on everything ... If we had a hardscape fail after a year we would still fix it even if the warranty was up.

Why don't you enlighten us Heller ..tell us how you do it.

KerryB
05-19-2003, 10:33 AM
12 months on hardscapes, trees, shrubs but no warranty on flowers.
I will however replace one or two if they die. But this is only for my regular clients.
I am not an insurance co. but I do believe in insuring my business for success.
If I do a job I do it well. I dont want people to see my work and say oh look some of the plants are dead. I dont want them to do any work for me.
That was a nice patio for about 3 months. Now it looks like a fish pond. lol

earthtool
05-19-2003, 01:00 PM
We also do the same Grasshopper. I believe it is just good business. It keeps customers. I want them to come back and have them make referrals, which is the cheapest advertisement I have found. Quaility Work, Quaility Plants and Customer Education= Success. Just my drop of fertilizer, if you get my pun.:rolleyes:

tailoredlook
05-19-2003, 04:42 PM
2 years on hardscapes, 1 year on plantings with the option of purchasing an extended warranty over an additional 5 year period. Must be purchased in the first year though.

kris
05-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Tailored I'm curious about the extended warranty.... is that option available only if you also do the maintenance?

Heller Landscaping
05-20-2003, 08:02 AM
I don't know I have never given anything a guarantee. Some customers have ask for them but I told them no and they did not seem to mind. I have trouble getting them to water anything that the sprinkler system does not water. I have heard of a landscaper that did give a guarantee and he charged 70% more per tree that they wanted guarantee and the customers always went with it. Maybe I should try putting a guarantee on things.

ElephantNest
05-20-2003, 01:12 PM
If it is a new garden, with my supply of plants I guarantee it for one year, except for Acts of God, lack of or too much watering, pets. etc. I have been using the same nursery for almost 10 years, never a problem so I feel confident I won't be replacing many, if any plants. If it is also a lawn customer of mine, I offer one year FREE garden maintenence, if it is just a one time garden customer, I offer 6 FREE months maintence. Here's my reasoning: For my usual customers who are getting a new garden, I'm there anyway, and if done correctly, what would the garden really need in that first year? Maybe a little herbicide, some fert. 3 to 4 times, trimming maybe twice in that year ( which actualy is part of the original bid)...only a few minutes every few months...no biggie and it makes the yard look even better.

One time garden customer and 6 free months: Same theory really; how much work could be needed in that first 6 months? Not a lot, but you're back, maybe talking to the customer again, at least being seen by others if not the owners. This, I find, is when I get more work from the original customer and many times neighbors have asked or commented to the original customer how nice it all still looks, and wants something done like that himself....so the original guy gives him my number or the neighbors catch me out in the yard and talk to me themselves.

I'm small, my town is small, and word of mouth is bread & butter.

bushwoods1
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
I do one year on hard-scape, and plant installation's.
I do have a clause about acts of God, over/ under watering, and acts beyond my control.
No grantee's on transplanting.

mdvaden
05-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Who is the judge for whether or not something is under or over watered?

And insects are also "Acts of God", aren't they?

No wonder wholesale nurseries rarely ever offer a guarantee.

In 99% of the cases, the plants in nurseries are in fine condition. When do the plants die? - when they are in customer hands.

What is usually the cause of death?

1. Customer failure to care properly.

2. Almost everything else - "Acts of God" or better stated - natural cause and effects.

PRapoza451
05-24-2003, 12:32 PM
We do one year plant warranty, assuming the client follows out watering instructions and excluding "acts of god" disease, insect damage over and under watering.
Checking for under or over watering is pretty easy. We bring a soil probe and core the root ball. We've pulled trees out before and found standing water in the hole. Plants are generally pretty tough. We have a 97% survival rate.
Usually when we do have to replace a plant we end up getting more work in the process. We meet the client to look at the failed plant and "Oh by the way while you're here I was thinking of doing ________." Happens almost every time.