PDA

View Full Version : "would you do me a favor?"

WildMowMan
05-19-2003, 01:57 PM
How many times have you had customers come out half way through a project and tack on some extra work while you are there and try to get you to just throw it in without raising the bill....y'know..."oh, by the way while you're here would you do me a favor and cut up that limb that fell in my backyard"..then its...."pull out the patio furniture from under the deck"........then "pull out the dead flowers in the planters".........or "water that half dead juniper" that was planted in the shade by her previous landscaper. Then because that all adds up to time lost you tack a few bucks on the bill.then it's.. "what do ya mean..this isn't the price we agreed on!!!!!!" When you mention the hour and 1/2 spent putzing around doing trivial BS they don't want to hear it..they feel that as a favor you should be wasting your time for free or something........I mean if it really is something pointless and timeless then I'll help out but when they start taking advantage.....my "spidey senses tingle"!!! I'm not in this game for free!!! Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

Green Pastures
05-19-2003, 02:29 PM
No, but I'll do a job for ya. :)

Would you like a free estimate?

WildMowMan
05-19-2003, 03:17 PM
lol......cool...can i refer those that want favors over to you:D

Georgiehopper
05-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah...I get that all the time...

and I take a special form with me for add ons which shows them what I will charge. IF they get mad, too bad...we're a business, not a charity. If I have a really, really good customer though, I will do some extra at no charge.

kris
05-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Yes, it really does depend ... I've done some extras at no cost.
Whatís a half hour labor on a 50k scape job? We do have change order forms for those bigger favors.
;)

promower
05-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Tell them ahead of time when they ask you, you charge $35-$45 an hour. Then see if they still want you to water the juniper.

hosejockey2002
05-19-2003, 11:07 PM
The last line of every one of my bids states "Any work not described above is not included and is available at an additional charge".

tiedeman
05-20-2003, 01:26 AM
customers all try that kind of stuff with us..if it is really small, like maybe moving something for them then we will do it for free...but like weeding, pruning, stuff like that we charge extra. And if they complain we just tell them that it isn't part of the lawn care agreement, it is an added service.

WildMowMan
05-20-2003, 12:25 PM
what I find funny, if you do it once........they 're gonna expect it all the time, any time....its amazing how sweet they ask, but how nasty they become when they see the charge....constant freebies.......sorry it just don't work dat way!