PDA

View Full Version : Local Associations

Green in Idaho
05-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Has or does anyone participate in a LOCAL forum or association much like this network?

I think the biggest benefit of a national forum like this one is there tends to be less of a threat from 'the competition' since helping someone out 1,000 miles away is not going to affect the offeror; and so everyone can be in it to genuinely help out others while receiving the same benefit. It's truly beneficial for everyone.

But whereas this forum is a national network, there are some things that do not relate to everyone e.g. snow removal, differences in the local economy, etc.

On the other hand, at a local level I think people would be apprehensive to tell the guy across town how to do something better or to offer 'lessons learned.'

We have a state association but in a big state the geo differences tend to isolate the different markets. So I'm thinking of starting a local network to help benefit everyone in the local green business. So it would be beyond just my clients. For those that do not know, I am an accountant and specializes in accounting for the green industy due to my prior experience.

My concerns are:
1) people will be threatened by the competition
2) I might be shooting myself in the foot or worse
3) local contractors tend to have an "I already know my business and there would be no benefit for me" = no participation
4) did I mention shooting myself??

The local operators I have talked to said' It might be good, I might be interested.." But no one is knocking the door down to get it going. While others are saying it won't work. And others are much more like "hell no."

Can you help me out here on this one with YOUR thoughts? Imagine something like this but just for your local area...

Your comments would be appreciated, here or directly at:

markmosher@cableone.net

Mark

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
05-19-2003, 08:46 PM
I too have thought of doing somthing like this.The main reason I wanted to do it was to set some sort of priceing criteria,that way you do away with at least some of the low ballers in your area.Then you get to price a job on how well you do a job not by price.On the other hand if you did set a pricing chart up all some one would have to do is come to one meeting get all the info they need on pricing then lower it 5 or 10 bucks and low ball everyone.S there are good and bad points to a group like that.

kris
05-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
On the other hand, at a local level I think people would be apprehensive to tell the guy across town how to do something better or to offer 'lessons learned.'

Mark

I think you hit the nail on the head there.
When we wanted to start a maintenance division I spent the day at a large company 3 hours away ...not one across town.

Lanelle
05-19-2003, 11:01 PM
A local association is not a threatening thing. Its a chance to bring in industry experts to share the latest research information and product information. People don't stand around and share 'secrets'. But it is a way to have a united voice in the face of unfavorable government actions and regulations. I participate in a local association and the networking opportunities are great. We were instrumental in getting an old law changed that regulated what local nurseries were allowed to sell. It will have a positive effect on several of our members. I find other companies that I can sub work out to or refer for work that I don't do. In turn we get referral work from others but this is not one of those meetings were people are just hawking their services. Its very low key and educational.