PDA

View Full Version : fertilizer (milorganite)

ccorts
05-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Can someone tell me the advantages of using milorganite over other fertilizers. I understand the fact that it will not burn but other fertilizers seem to offer more phosphorus and potash for about the same cost. If you get more with general purpose fertilizers, what is the "plus side" with milorganite? Also, if I do put down milorganite now, can I aply a weed and feed is a few days or am I getting a nitrogen overload?

Chris Wagner
05-20-2003, 09:50 PM
I use Milorganite at the church where I'm the grounds director. Milorganite is a slow release fertilizer and also contains iron which helps to green up the lawn, too.

Depending what type of weed and feed you will be using, I'd suggest just applying a spray to kill the weeds you have and then apply the Milorganite. Better yet, do a soil test to find out what your soil and your turf need.

That said, I put a quick release fertilizer down, Chemlawn came to spray, and last week I applied Milorganite. The turf is awesome and the Milorganite hasn't really kicked in yet.

You're right about Milorganite. It won't burn the lawn. It does take a considerable amount of Milorganite to work properly. Use the directions on the package as your guide.

Perhaps some more info on your turf would be helpful to determine the best fertilizer and/or weed control you'll need.

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 01:00 AM
I'd be happy to reseed that lawn for you when you get done burning it up ;)

Chris Wagner
05-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Our turf is never burned out. Stop by if you'd like. I'd love to show you our quality.

8 years experience working the same grounds... never had to redo anything.

Thanks for the offer.

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wagner
Our turf is never burned out. Stop by if you'd like. I'd love to show you our quality.

8 years experience working the same grounds... never had to redo anything.

Thanks for the offer.

What was the time spread of those 3 apps? Bet you've got some nice thatch build up if that is normal type ferting.

Chris Wagner
05-26-2003, 02:45 AM
Virtually no thatch.

I'm sorry you don't like our practices. What works for some might not work for others.

mr.lawnzap
05-26-2003, 02:47 AM
you got tru-green spraying and ferting this church and you fert and spray it too?? better be careful, if your smart youll get another company to spray it so you dont have too. looks good though.what exact mix of fert did you put on it?

Chris Wagner
05-26-2003, 11:49 AM
ChemLawn isn't my choice. I'd do the whole thing, but the pastor prefers to have them do it.

Anyway, my feeling is that the ChemLawn's applications are so watered down, that they aren't effective in the least.

A 25-5-10 quick release was applied April 15. Milorganite was applied around May 15. ChemLawn showed up somewhere in the middle.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't recommend this practice for most homeowners or if you aren't planning on intesely managing your turf like we do.

Chris Wagner
05-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Another pic...

Chris Wagner
05-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Another

Green in Idaho
05-26-2003, 11:55 AM
FYI for those who haven't read the label, Milorganite is sewage sludge. As in the stuff that is processed at a sewage facility!

The plus side is you are particpating in a waste management program (reclycling) as the end user.

As for the turf, not much different than putting any other composted manure down.

Mike Bradbury
05-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Chris Wagner
Virtually no thatch.

I'm sorry you don't like our practices. What works for some might not work for others.

I have no opinion on your practices. I DID ask what the time spread was on these THREE fertilizer apps?

jaytee
09-26-2003, 11:21 PM
holy crap!! *no pun intended*...that grass is hella green...*no pun intended again..*

lars
09-27-2003, 08:54 PM
When everyone says Milorgonite is slow release, they really mean it. Actually, Milorgonite has something similar to a half life. If you apply a pound of N this year, the turf will recieve 1/2 lb this year, 1/4 lb next year, 1/8 lb year after that, etc. That said, Milorgonite works best on a program where you make a few apps a year for many years. At a local golf course, the previous super made a heary app of Milorgonite on the greens five years ago and the effets are still being seen. Other than that, the advantages are similar to every other organic fertilizer; no burning, pH is not lowered (which is what urea eventually does), organic matter is added to the soil.

And yes, you can apply a weed and feed, but try Trimec, Confront, etc and skip the N if you can, as you probabaly won't need it. I highly doubt that you will burn turf if you apply weed and feed properly, though.

Green in Idaho
09-27-2003, 09:04 PM
ccorts, you are in Michigan? I'm surprised you are not familiar with Milorganite.

If you have friends in Milwaukee you might be more familiar with the product than you know. :D

For a homeowner, I would recommend seeking some other organic fertilizer.