PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Lift jack to pull bushes?

Hawkeye5
05-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I have a job where I have to pull three medium size evergreen bushes from a front house enterance. I really don't want to use the pick up to pull the bushes in this location. I've been thinking about alternatives such as two "A" frames with a cross-member or a tripod and a come-along. But then I wondered about using a hi-lift jack to do the job. Anyone used a jack to pull bushes before? Seems like it should work as long as a larger base was used to prevent the jack from sinking into the ground.

Wannafish
05-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Have you thought of placing a steel wheel (without a tire mounted) on it's edge (like it is when it's on a vehicle) onto a board next to the bush, with a chain around the bottom of the bush, over the wheel, and hooked to a come along (or vehicle)?

This has worked well for me in the past...and the taller the wheel the better as this provides more leverage.

Hawkeye5
05-20-2003, 12:35 PM
No fish, I had not thought of that, but sounds like it would work to provide extra leverage. Nothing like inovation and experience! Thanks.

Mike Bradbury
05-21-2003, 12:06 AM
have it out before you got your contraptions all hooked up :)

blafleur
05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
I agree with Mike. I have tried a few contraptions, but the only good one is a large machine. Other than that I am back to shovels, long rock bars, and a pruning blade equipped sawzall.

Good luck,
Bryan

DLCS
05-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye5
I have a job where I have to pull three medium size evergreen bushes from a front house enterance. I really don't want to use the pick up to pull the bushes in this location. I've been thinking about alternatives such as two "A" frames with a cross-member or a tripod and a come-along. But then I wondered about using a hi-lift jack to do the job. Anyone used a jack to pull bushes before? Seems like it should work as long as a larger base was used to prevent the jack from sinking into the ground.

I've used a High Lift jack before to pull cemented in 4x4 posts out of the ground before. Work really well just make sure you use a larger base.

Hawkeye5
05-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback DLCS. I'm stubborn so I was determined to try as I was convinced a Hi-Lift would work like a charm. I've made a larger base from a 2x6 and placed three bolts through the base to secure the jack base. Will get to try her out tomorrow.

blafleur
05-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Hawkeye, just curious how it worked.

Bryan

Mike Bradbury
05-25-2003, 12:46 PM
What are "medium sized evergreens"?

I dug 7 very large arboravitae out for a customer yesterday. Each was 6-7' tall and 7-8' wide. None took more than 10 minutes of digging with a good old shovel and a mattock to cut a few bigger roots. I am strong, but geez, seems pretty simple to me?

daveainthere
05-27-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm with ya Mike....you should a seen me the time i was "trying" to use the ole wood splitter to "pull" up some bushes.....although i have used them jacks to pull out fence post before, and it worked real good...but thats a fence post.

Hawkeye5
05-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Bryan: Worked like a charm. Pulled them high enough that I could cut the tap root and larger roots with the chain saw. I do dig out smaller bushes that don't have strong root systems with a sharpened shovel.