PDA

View Full Version : Company signs while working on the job?

Kohls Landscaping Co
05-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi! I was curious how many people here place a small company sign at the residences they are landscaping at. I realize I would only do it if I had permission of the owner. In the next several years, I am looking to expand and figure this would be an easy and inexpensive means to get my company name out. Obviously, I don't mean cutting a yard and having sign out for the hour I am there. Thanks for the help in advance!

WildMowMan
05-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Yes I do....but only at sites where I'm doing a design project or a lawn maintenance account who is paying for a pristine property...it's good advertisement and showcasing at the same time.......if one does good solid work. I wouldn't showcase an inexpensive low maintenance account......just a waste of a good sign that probably cost more than the account.

tiedeman
05-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I look at it this way, those signs usually cost around $50 per sign. And usually you have to order a minimum. If you are small, I wouldn't do it, but if the project is a major one, then I would do it. We just have never done it because it's an expense that we just don't want. Also the reason that we don't do it is because 95% of the time these are one time landscaping projects and we usually don't go back and maintain them. So its up to the customer to maintain them, which they do so in a poor fashion. So if they maintain them in a poor fashion, and people drive by seeing the sign, they will think, "Thats the quality of work that they do, forget them."

Georgiehopper
05-21-2003, 10:28 PM
This is a sticking point for me and my husband. He is in favor of placing signs on properties, but I am not. I personally think it looks tacky. Most people do it though. If I was a property owner, I would not want a contractor's signs on my property.

Groundcover Solutions
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
We put sings on all of our large projects. We had a few nice signs (about 100 apaice) made up that we put up while we are working on the project and for about a week after we are done. We then come back pick up the sign and that is that. It is a great way to advertise because people can see the great work you do and they know who to call to get there yard done. You can get alot of work from other people in the neighborhood who are trying to keep up with the jones's so to speak. Just my 2 cents

WildMowMan
05-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Exactly........you don't leave them up for too long....only order so many for what you think you're gonna need..as far as how the property is maintained, I only realy leave my sign up for a week or 2 then I pull them and move them to a fresher project. Georgie's right "no homeowner wan'ts to see a contractors sign on they're property" for a long extended period of time anyway.
Besides if you planned on keeping them on the properties you're gonna spend too much on to many. My old man always said.."K.I.S.S.-keep it simple stupid" He's right!

kris
05-22-2003, 09:16 PM
We have them for construction jobs only ... a day or two after the job is finished they are removed.

JML
05-23-2003, 05:45 PM
We use the plastic covered cardboard signs that a lot of the political campaigns use. They look very good, two color signs and cost around $3 a piece. At that price I really don't care what happens to them after a week. They only are good for about 60 days in the elements anyway.. I put them everywhere I can no matter how small the job. Name recognizition is a big thing with me...