PDA

View Full Version : Any decent non-commercial pesticides?

WildMowMan
05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I've recently had a client ask us if we could spray for ticks, mite, mosquitos and grubs...I don't have a pesticide license. She's offered many homeowner type found in local Home Depots, Lowes, or Wal-mart garden shops.....Are there any decently effective apps. that I could use without the license or no?

Rtom45
05-21-2003, 01:45 PM
I assume that New York's regulations are similar to Pennsylvania. In PA., any chemical work that you do for others requires a license. In general, chemicals that you can buy and use at your own home, cannot be used at another's home unless you are certified.

BRL
05-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Sub it out to someone with a license. Or, if the law is similar to here & PA, you could have the client go to Home Cheapo & buy the stuff, then have you apply it. But you can't charge to apply it because then you need a license to do so probably. So rather than do it for free, have another company do it & make a little bit on top of that. Good luck.

SWD
05-21-2003, 08:52 PM
To answer your question - No.
There is a reason to be licensed for applications - and you have just proven why.
Provided I were you, I would seriously consider obtaining the necessary licensing - check with your local county extension agent for all of the details.

JasperStorm
05-21-2003, 10:09 PM
In many states, it's not what you are applying or where you bought it, but the fact that you are applying a chemical in the line of (even a scrub) business.

Any housewife can go to the local Home Depot, buy whatever pesticide she wants, and apply it (within labeled restrictions) to her heart's content around her property.

You, however, might simply want to prance around the lawn with an Amish built hand watering can containing only mild, organic fertilizer, while singing "Zippy De Do Dah" and saying "hello" to the sparrows and bees, but you HAVE TO BE LICENSED BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE.

WildMowMan
05-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by JasperStorm
You, however, might simply want to prance around the lawn with an Amish built hand watering can containing only mild, organic fertilizer, while singing "Zippy De Do Dah" and saying "hello" to the sparrows and bees, but you HAVE TO BE LICENSED BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE.

lmao:D Don't worry........I just subbed the job out.....i'll get my cut...case closed....... Maybe next season, I'll obtain my license but I got enough work to keep me busy... I can do without the hassle.....thanks for input...........WMM

gogetter
05-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by BRL
Or, if the law is similar to here & PA, you could have the client go to Home Cheapo & buy the stuff, then have you apply it. But you can't charge to apply it because then you need a license to do so probably.

Are you sure about this? Not sure about Jersey, but I don't think that will fly here in PA.
Maybe some of the more experienced PA. guys could chime in on this?

dan deutekom
05-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Jasper Storm

I have never ever seen this question answered better than this. Thank you very much.:D

PS. May I quote you when ever I am asked this question?

WildMowMan
05-24-2003, 08:11 PM
i actually used a bit of that quote when i explained to the homeowner why I wanted to sub the job out.:laugh: