PDA

View Full Version : Best blades for striping effect on 36WB SCAG?

JayC
05-21-2003, 05:44 PM
I recently purchased a used 36" SCAG WB BeltDrive and I added a brand new set of Gators to it because the original blades were shot. After reading many posts on this site about striping, I'm wondering if I would get a better effect with the standard SCAG blades? Someone mentioned BobCat blades on a SCAG for best results, I'm just wondering which ones will work best for me. I'm in NJ and my lawn is very healthy, mostly tall fescule mix, and I mow it at 3.5 inches. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Jay

P&J Lawncare
05-22-2003, 12:41 AM
bobcat high lift offset blades are great with scag mowers,
http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog2003/page175.html
Here is a place that you can order them from, the part number bo17a

JayC
05-22-2003, 10:41 AM
I just placed an order for them, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I look forward to giving them a try. I bet they'll work great!
Jay

JayC
06-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Thank you P&J Lawncare...What a difference. I'm very happy with my new blades. I only mow my own lawn so I don't have much practice. This is my 4th mow of the seaon and I'm new to the WB mower. One things for sure, it's fun to mow the lawn again after stepping up from the 21incher. Here is my initial attempt with new gator blades....Not much to show:

JayC
06-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Here is a shot with the blades you recommended: I think it's a world of difference...

JayC
06-20-2003, 07:11 PM
another:

JayC
06-20-2003, 07:13 PM
and 1 more:

IndianaDave
06-22-2003, 11:42 PM
jc,

The stripes look excellent. Are those with a mulch kit installed or not?

JayC
06-23-2003, 10:44 AM
No mulch kit, no roller or chains either. Just the stock deck with the bobcat high lift offset blades. I may look at making a striping kit, but for now I'm very pleased with the difference the bobcat high lift offset blades made.

JayC
07-25-2003, 03:32 PM
A couple new ones

JayC
07-25-2003, 03:34 PM
side yard

The Lawn Boy Pro
08-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Nice yard and lawn!

tsh1773
08-06-2003, 10:08 AM
I have the same scag 36". How much did the set of blades cost and Do you have a problem with the belts coming off the pulleys? The belt on the right side tries to work it self off the pulley when backing up.

JayC
08-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the nice comment Lawn Boy Pro. I try to keep things looking good....

tsh1773:
I believe the blades were around $9 a piece and after tax and shipping I probably paid $25 total. They showed up in about 3 days.

No problems with belts coming off the pulleys at all. I picked this machine up back in April. All it needed was a little cleaning up, oil change and filter and a good set of blades. It's been very good to me, and always starts on the first pull. I think it's somewhere around 8 years old with a newer 14hp Kohler. I think the engine is about 3 years old. It's in very nice condition, and works well.

Since I've had the machine, I've raised the deck in the back to the highest position, and made sure I had a 1/4" lower height in the front. I did this for a couple reasons. (1) I needed the ground clearance for the deck not to scalp any of the lawn. (2) I added these off-set blades which lowered my cut by about 1/2". Raising the deck helped me adjust back to a 3.5" cut. (3) I wanted to keep the rear of the deck 1/4" higher than the front so I could get the best possible striping effect.
I have also sanded and primed and painted all the scuff marks on the decks with the Scag Cats Eye paint and it looks really good. I also painted the SCAG letters on the gas tank red, just because I thought it looked cool. I was bored one day and a little over excited about getting the machine I guess. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I have fun with it, and most of all, it makes mowing the lawn fun again.

chefdrp
08-07-2003, 12:55 AM
I bet your the envy of all your friends with your commercial mower?

JayC
08-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Yea, I think I have a couple of them wishing they had one. Since I've always been intrigued by commercial lawn equipment, I've been shopping around over the years and picked up a couple nice used machines. The first one that got a lot of attention from my neighbors was my 8hp Billy Goat blower. I clean my front lawn off in just a few minutes. Most of the neighbors have professional lawn care companies, but they comment to me what a nice job I do and they like my equipment. One day I'll have a professional lawn care company mowing my property, but for now, I find it a lot of fun to do it myself. It's more like a hobby to me than a chore. Someday I hope to have a boat, so maybe then I'll hang up my green thumb.

chefdrp
08-08-2003, 01:30 AM
why not start one yourself? Then buy the baot and have them do your lawn and others. LOL

maple city
08-11-2003, 02:10 AM
We're using a 48" Scag Zero Turn. I had excellent results with the original factory blades. We just put gator blades on, and they are even better. The better the grass, the better the results. On lawns that are treated, we get awesome results. The picture below is a treated lawn, mowed with our Scag, no striping kit, factory blades:

http://www.garyfd2.com/stripes2.jpg

JayC
08-14-2003, 05:14 PM
maple city,

Looks great! Very nice lawn in that pic!