PDA

View Full Version : to much nitrogen

mikeshere89
05-21-2003, 06:19 PM
i put down nitrogen pellets last weekend and now my yard is starting to burn out, it is burning where my tire tracks are from my 36 wb, anything i can do to stop it from burning anymore and will it come back shortly(turning green again) please help

longslawn
05-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Water, water, then water some more. Nitrogen will get used up quicker if you water it in real good.

Bunton Guy
05-21-2003, 08:12 PM
yeah take mikes advice...water water water...and then youll have brown patch!

mikeshere89
05-21-2003, 08:25 PM
it is day six since i put it down, do u think the burnt grass will get worse or is most of the damage done? god i hope it doesnt get any worse, this was a complete **** up on my part.

SWD
05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Yep, it will get worse. Pretty much what you have done is over applied the synthetic nitrogen and now it is acting like a salt.
The delay in response to the problem means it wasn't as bad as it could of been.
Take a stiff spring leaf rake and vigorously rake about 2"-3" deep and loosen the soil.
Water in approximately 1" of water with activated charcoal.
This method works well with almost any type of over application - and it works best when done immediately after the screw-up.

mikeshere89
05-21-2003, 10:50 PM
so i am going to loose all of the grass then? also just do this where it is burnt, i sure as hell cant do the whole half acre like this.

KirbysLawn
05-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Is it that dry there? Are you sure it's being burned and not leaf spot or brown patch?

greenman
05-21-2003, 11:32 PM
How late in the spring season do you guys up there (Mike in iowa) apply fert with N on cool season grasses? I know the climate is later up there, but down here we dont put down N on cool season (only tall fescue can barely survive here) after April.

mr.lawnzap
05-22-2003, 01:51 AM
im in similar a temperature area as you in arkansas and i wont put down high n fert on fescue, i use triple 13 it wont burn it and makes it thick and green.

longslawn
05-22-2003, 07:49 AM
I wasn't thinking about it being a cool season grass. Not much used in my area.
I would still water the grass real good one time to dilute the nitrogen then water on a regular schedule. Water the grass in the early AM.

greenman
05-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
im in similar a temperature area as you in arkansas and i wont put down high n fert on fescue, i use triple 13 it wont burn it and makes it thick and green.

I put down my fert on my Fescue lawns around mid- March this year. It was 28-3-10 50%SCU 4.5FE. April (1st week), I applieed my second application of pre-m, 0.86% 0-0-7 at 1/2 rate a/i. No problems. No way would I put down that high of N after April here.

timturf
05-22-2003, 06:59 PM
mikeshere95

What exactly did you apply????????

State label info
Like ?-?-? applied at ? lbs per 10000 sq ft
What % urea?
What % wsn?
What % win or slowly available n?
If any slow release n, from what source?
If product had potash, was it sulfate or muraite?

All fert contain salt, some more and others less!!!!!!

Answer these questions, and your response should be more helpful!!!!!

What other, if any fert applied this spring before the last application? Again give all necessary info!!!!!!

tim

Turfdude
05-23-2003, 08:41 PM
If it were hotter and later in the year, I'd suggest checking for chinch bugs. When they stree a lawn, one "warning sign" is tire damage like you're describing.

lordohturf
05-24-2003, 04:40 PM
You need to think back about a couple of things and take a close look at your lawn soon!

1. Was there a frost or extreme cool the night before you cut the grass? If so, you may only have tip burn which should grow out.

2. The fact that only the tire mark areas are brown leads me to think that you didn't overfertilize, or the rest of the yard would be turning brown also.

3. if you are experiencing cool nights, warm days with high humidity, you might be spreading brown patch, summer patch or some other disease through your lawn.

Look close to the crown of the plant to see if new growth is coming in. If so, you may just need to wait and let new growth come in! Try to avoid cutting in that same pattern for awhile!