PDA

View Full Version : Loosing green quick!

Bunton Guy
05-21-2003, 08:21 PM
A good bit of my yards (tall fescue) are loosing their green after the second split app of Lesco pre-m. Why would this happen so quick and what would you do?? I dont plan on making another app until next month. And it has been 30 days since the last of pre-m apps. After the second app. they didnt green up much at all and I cant really figure out why.

kickin sum grass
05-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you need to start with a complete soil test.

mr.lawnzap
05-21-2003, 09:17 PM
youre gonna have a lot of people on here say you must have done something wrong, but i have seen fescue lawns killed by liquid pre-em . othertimes i have seen faded color that would not heal.

Grassmechanic
05-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Test soil, it sounds like ph out of whack.

Mike

masterpiece1
05-21-2003, 11:35 PM
I had the same problem earlier this season. I hit it with some nitrogen and watered and it came back. This is the first year for us using pre-m and we noticed it turning brown on approx. 3% of our lawns. Good luck!

LAWNGODFATHER
05-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Temp?

What did you apply this round?

Might need more iron.

I have seen some lawns changing for summer already.

The rye is going away, and the grass is starving.

Remember lots of precipitation uses up food fast.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-22-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
youre gonna have a lot of people on here say you must have done something wrong, but i have seen fescue lawns killed by liquid pre-em . othertimes i have seen faded color that would not heal.

I have yet to see a lawn die from pre-em, plus he is using pendamethalyne from lesco hence the trademark "Pre-M" (granular).

If he was to "burn"or "kill" the lawn it would not be loosing the green it would be browning out.

Sounds to me these lawns are needing nutrients. I hear them screeming "FEED ME"---"FEED ME"!!!!

Also another question, how much growth are you cutting off, you cut the crown off the lawn it will not be as green.

Tharrell
05-22-2003, 07:53 AM
The grass around here (NC) has some yellow in it, no chem apps. Everyone's talking about it. I think it's either too much rain or it's used up the fertilizer because of the almost constant rain. I'm gonna try some iron but can't decide whether to use a little liquid N or not.

Russ
05-22-2003, 09:25 AM
The rye and fescue around here is clorotic and red thread is starting to show up where round 2 hasn't been applied. It's growing 1/2 in a day and still wants N.

lordohturf
05-24-2003, 05:15 PM
To answer your questions you need to fill in some detail.

What fert analysis did you use with Pre-M and did it have slow release?

Have you had an awful lot of rain with little sunlight. ( chlorosis )?

Has it been unseasonably hot or dry?

Sometimes it's easy to diagnose the problem, but if you don't have the benefit of seeing it or knowing the background info, it's
hard to give a good answer!

KenH
05-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Lack of sun.

grassguy_
05-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Excessive moisture here has been the problem for lawns yellowing in appearance as well as leaf spot hitting because of cooler temps. There could be a number of reasons for the discoloration you're experiencing and only you know your conditions that may be contributing to it. Pre-em can and does do some root pruning to existing grasses but if its applied at the rates recommended then there should be no problem. Tall fescue is hardy enough to tolerate many conditions but lacking nutrients can hamper its recuperative abilities.

1stclasslawns
05-24-2003, 09:51 PM
I agree with the "FEED ME" If you are going to be spraying put about 4 oz of ferromec /thousand and some slow release N to go with it.

Jim

KirbysLawn
05-24-2003, 11:13 PM
I would check for leaf spot and/or brown patch, it's on alot of lawn here right now.

Bunton Guy
05-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Yes we have had way over normal rain ammounts with its share of cloudy and lower than normal temps lately! The lawns had been growing more than we need them to as normal spring rush with about 8" of growth each week cut down to between 4-3.5" each week. So far no brown patch and no results since the last pre-M and still weeds are popping up. The thing about this Pre-m is for the last 2 years I have been still getting weeds...and I hate spraying for weeds because its leaving big bare patches of just dirt. Mainly when I shoot the clover it will leave the large bare patches.

lordohturf
06-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I hope I'm wrong replying to your last message. You said you hate spraying weeds after treating with Pre-M. I hope you're not talking about perennial broadleafs like dandelion and thistle, clover, etc.

If so, you need to take a label reading lesson and have a serious
thought about what you are doing!

Gallery is the only preemergent that is effective on many perennial broadleaf weeds and even with it's use, you will have to kill the carry over weeds from the previous season with a three way or some other postemergent weed control.

Like I said, I hope you weren't talking about these weeds or you
don't know what you're doing!

Bunton Guy
06-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Lordo, I know nothing ?? how does that sound im a complete idoit ! does that make it all better ? Im trying to learn here...I mean isnt that what this site is about?

LAWNGODFATHER
06-02-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
I hate spraying for weeds because its leaving big bare patches of just dirt. Mainly when I shoot the clover it will leave the large bare patches. Mix is to strong, you are killing the grass also in most avg cases, there are exceptions, but those are turf areas that have been neglected for many many years.

lordohturf
06-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Didn't mean to claim you are an idiot, Bunton. Maybe I used strong language for this sight. If I offended you I am sorry!

The point I was trying to make is to read each label closely.
If you read it for each product you use, you may be able to answer alot of the questions you have for the sight.

"When all else fails, read the directions!"

Bunton Guy
06-02-2003, 04:53 PM
I sprayed at the rate that the Lesco man suggested for our area. I will try less oz. per gallon this time. Many of the lawns I spray are ones that have been neglected by the home owners for years.

Russ
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
5. TURF TIPS.

A. PALE GREEN TURF. Joe Rimelspach noted that mysterious chlorotic patches
of turfgrass have once again returned to lawns and fields in rain-soaked
Ohio. Certain cultivars of Kentucky bluegrass develop yellowish, irregular
patches and streaks during periods of continual rainfall, cloud cover, and
warm temperatures. The cause is still unknown, however turfgrass scientists
speculate that it is a physiological response to slow growth, high moisture,
and temperatures unfavorable for turfgrass growth. Fertilizing or adding
iron only exaggerates the condition as the healthy turf turns greener, in
stark contrast to the sickly colored turf that is not growing. Fortunately,
with proper mowing and maintenance, the turfgrass should eventually recover.
A close examination of the yellowing turfgrass should quickly distinguish
this condition from pale-looking weedy grass species.