PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Iron 14-14-14 Photos

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Here is my photos of my lawn. Sprayed at 8oz. per 1K sq. feet.

I also sprayed at 2oz. per 1K & 4oz. per 1K with similar results.

The 1K sq. feet sprayed at 8oz. is closest up in the shot. The other areas sprayed hasent been photographed yet.

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 09:49 AM
As you can see its not really a dark green as I had thought. Its more of a greasy brown.

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 09:52 AM
IT does apear to be GREEN in the first to pictures but its not really a closer look would show you the brown greasy tint to it.

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Last one....I think?

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Honestly these photos arent doing justice! Its making the lawn look greasy blackish green....but really it has that tint of lets say MUD TRACKS? mud tracks when you run through a wet lawn if you know what im speaking of. Maybe I can get a closer up picture.

KirbysLawn
05-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Iron sprayed will stain the grass for a few weeks, until it's mowed off. At the same time the grass will turn a darker green, by the time the stain is gone the grass will be a dark green.

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Ray that's the best info I have heard all week...so do I just need to let each customer know about this so they dont freak out? And this is normal correct?

KirbysLawn
05-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Normal yes, just hope (and make sure) you do not get it on the paved areas, fences, houses, etc...

Sure is late to be putting down triple 14 on fescue.

Bunton Guy
05-22-2003, 09:51 PM
What do you suggest? for a quick solid green?

KirbysLawn
05-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Just iron, no N this late, I try not to apply N past April 15th if possible. Sustane is great for color also if you can sell it$$$.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Low N would be ok to apply, just use a real slow release.

Iron takes time, it has to be absorbed into the grass some how, it's not paint.

MOW ED
05-23-2003, 08:52 AM
LGF , I assume you are working with similar grass blends (cool season ky blue rye red fescue) Do you spray ferromec? If so what rate do you have lock with. I have used it on my lawn only to test and have found that it does have to be absorbed over a little time as you said but I am wondering if I should have applied a little heavier.
If you dont use ferromec, what do you recommend?

LAWNGODFATHER
05-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Ferromec AC, I usually spray it with a herb.

Not much blue but mostly fescues.

I use 1oz per 1000. I wouldn't go over 2oz per 1000 unless you are spraying a PGR.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Bunton guy, now that I look at those photos again, they have a purple tint to them.

You have toooo much iron.

Bunton Guy
05-25-2003, 09:19 AM
I guess that means that the lawn did not need Iron. I sprayed it at the recommended rate from Lesco 8 oz. per 1K. Then I also tried and got the same purple results with 2 oz. & 3oz.

Northwest
05-25-2003, 02:14 PM
After two weeks the lawn will be a deep green and you won't have that greasy look any more. As for notifying customers I don't. Only had a couple of calls from people thinking there lawn was screwed up. Just tell them everything is okay wait two weeks and you will have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Iron is great, just don't hit anything else with it. I was spraying at the end of the day not paying attention and stained 23 sections of cedar fence cost me $1400 to replace.

Anyone know why the iron fries some grass (low growing bent in perennial rye-fescue lawn) and clover. I am not complaining because both of these are considered weeds in the lawn.

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 04:10 AM
I use 6-10 pounds of urea and 15-20 pounds of ferrous per acre . Results show in less than 24 hours . I gave up on iron plus and ferromec years ago . This is a photo of my iron mix .

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 04:12 AM
Another iron spray job after 24 hours . This one was 18 pounds of ferrous and 3.5 pounds of potassium nitrate .

Bunton Guy
06-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Im sorry I said it was 14-14-14 and it is 14-0-0. I was looking for the results that I see in your photos and the results I got after the staining went away was a minimul green. Could I put down urea at this time of the year if I blend it with something else? We have been getting ALOT of rain and our share of sunny hot days. What do you have to watch for when using urea this late in the year; brown patch?

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Since I am not in your area I would say contact Lesco or another fertilizer dealer and ask what rates other companies are using . The urea rate per acre is not set in stone and you can adjust it down to suit your needs . I would not go higher than 12 pounds per acre as it could burn . The potassium nitrate rate is set in stone and will burn at rates between 4-5 pounds per acre . For the ferrous you can go from 12-18 pounds per acre , any higher and you can turn the grass black for a few weeks . I also add about 1 pint per hundred of activator 90 so it stays put . Products like feromec and iron plus a pretty much the same and by mixing your own you can save some money .

Bunton Guy
06-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Are you doing liquid or granular apps?

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 07:22 PM
I was spraying liquid in the last post . I use 1-200 gallons of water plus the ferrous and urea per acre . I also have a granular program that works real well ..

NAT
06-22-2003, 07:29 PM
hope you had some fungicide mixed with the iron. brown patch going crazy here in my area.

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 07:40 PM
We don't get much fungus here in Arizona but I still add a fungicide when I spray .

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Found another one . This one was using 4 pounds potassium nitrate and 18 pounds of ferrous .

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 06:44 PM
This was my worst turf last winter . This job was a pellet fertilizer job only . This was after two applications of 15-15-15 SR + minors at 7 pounds a thousand 30 days apart . This job had some serious issues dating back to the original install . Out here in Arizona you have your show turf in the winter months .

azturfpro
06-23-2003, 06:49 PM
This is another pellet only job . Same fert same rate 45 days between applications .

Mscotrid
06-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Hey AZ,

We want to know how you groom the sand so smooth and what dye is being used.....:)

lugnut#6
06-25-2003, 12:43 PM
most of yall seem to be from north of me in a different zone.would the advise yall are giving work with warm season turf?im on the mississippi gulf coast and we have lots of st augistine and centipede.im not sure iron is even an issue down here.i have a unfiltered well that runs my home irrigation system.it leaves the pavement and tree trunks orange.does this iron and the rust it promotes here with the high salt content of the air present health problems for my trees?(water oaks,live oaks,magnolias,and silver maples)
the trunks are hit up to 8' up the trunk by the heads.
and mr godfather does your advise on less N after spring also aplply to this area?organic matter decomposses at an impressive rate here with the high humidity(average of 90% or more).ive posted questions before about lime usage.should i wait till fall to apply lime?most labeling i read says apply anytime.

any advise is,as always,very much appreciated
thank you all
pat jordan

LAWNGODFATHER
06-25-2003, 04:02 PM
How many LCO's flood N in the spring?

I feed in the fall for spring, in your region, the same goes, but you don't get the cold winters like we do here.

You grass types still need to be fed in spring, but do you need to feed it in the spring?

I recommend Iron not nitrogen. You irrigation system is dispensing rust most likely not much so iron. Do you have a bladder on your system? Also your pump could be cast iron, both of which rust, and stain. Nitrogen is another subject.

My region they say 4 pound of N a year, how much of that 4 # is from decomposed matter?

For fert. I always apply slow release, less room for error, less chance to burn, less visits to properties, more money in my pocket due to less product applied.

For you on the lime issue....Do you need it? Soil test would be best before applying it. For all we know you might need to go the other way.

azturfpro
06-25-2003, 09:38 PM
The sand you are looking at is really a 1/2" crushed granite . We use a lot of rakes and in areas with smaller rock we use big push brooms . I also have a Toro sand trap machine that I use when we don't have time to rake .

lugnut#6
06-25-2003, 11:07 PM
thank you godfather :)
(kisses ring)

lugnut#6
06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
how much nitrogen is replaced in the soil by mulching?

LAWNGODFATHER
06-26-2003, 02:14 AM
I dunno, can't give an answer on that.

I backed off of applying 4# down to 2.5# use fert with iron and it seems to work just fine.

Do a little research on you region and grass types, see what the experts say.