PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa spreaders ?

Turf Dancer
05-22-2003, 11:50 AM
I am tired of throwing away a cheap spreader every year. I was looking at the Shindaiwa RS 75 Spreader ! Does anyone have one ? Are they any good ? I was quoted $249 and $309 for the stainless version !

morturf
05-22-2003, 04:55 PM
All the spreaders out there aren't much if you ask me. I have tried them all. I do a lot of hills. I have been pushing a spreader for more than 35 years and put on literally 100's of tons of product. T-handles limit the usefulness of these spreaders. The arrangement is inhereintly unstable on hills since it makes you take your hand off the handle to turn it on and off. I do way too many hilly yards for this. I have modified a model 77 and a Golfstaff. This is best spreader made, I modify a Spyker Golfstaff 88 to make it work. The Golfstaff is well built. With this arrangement you can shut off the spreader and keep your hands in control of your spreader. I have more pictures if you like to see them.

If a your only criteria is that a spread rate be on the bag, get another spreader. But if you can calibrate and you want a spreader that lasts get one of these. We don't even use the dial or the bag setting to set ours...We use a caliper and the rate/1000 it is far more accurate. Well anyway.....hope you get one that really works in the long run for you.

fblandscape
05-22-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't have much experience with the Shindiawa spreaders, but from what I remember, and from what I heard from my old dealer they are not good. I would suggest a Lesco spreader. Not cheap, but well worth the $$$

kickin sum grass
05-22-2003, 07:59 PM
I bought my first lesco spreader in 96 I think. Still in the work force today. Every couple years put a new gear kit in witch in a couple bucks and 1/2 hr work. Maybe a new impeller at the same time. Not much to ask from something that makes that much money. Also buying a lesco almost all the parts you need are usually in stock. No waiting around for them to be shipped. The 300 + dollars will make much more profit ratio than that 8000 dollar mower we all have no trouble buying. Don't sweat the cost cuz a good spreader will be around for a long time.

Grassmechanic
05-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Hmmm...Morturf, that spreader looks very similiar to an Agri-Fab. I've never had a problem with spreaders tipping going across hills, but maybe that's just my own experience. I use the new lesco. Works great.

Mike

morturf
05-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Yah, Agri-fab.......now there is a high endurance machine.....:D. Maybe the hills aren't as steep or I just put too much in the spreader. This unit is all stainless. The fabricated handles are too. The discolorations are from bending the steel. I guess I am a proponent of function over form.

I used to have Cyclone A100 models. I used them till it was cost ineffective to have the parts machined to replace the pieces that were no longer available. Are there any of you guys out here old enough to remember those or have pushed a similar model. If you have ever pushed one with wheel barrow handles you would not go back. Everybody that has worked for me has the choice to push the spreader they like and they all push these. hmmmmmm.

morturf
05-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Thought I would post one more pic......the axle bearings are greasable and they are roller bearings. This really helps for longevity. I have a pic somewhere of and model 76 that is over 10 years old. Still works.

lordohturf
05-24-2003, 03:53 PM
The birds say, " cheap cheap cheap!"

That's what you will get with agri fab gears , frame, etc.

It's hard to go wrong with a Lesco. I've had too many fall
off a truck on the road. Most of the time, (if it doesn't get swiped before you can turn around and pick it up) you can throw it back on the truck and go back to work!

lawnmowerman29
05-25-2003, 09:12 PM
I have the shindiawa stainless steel model. I would not recommend it to anyone. The only reason i bought it is because i used to sell equipment and that is the brand we sold. The first year i had it, the axle bent, the hopper broke, and now the second year the axle is bent again. It is supposed to hold 75 lbs of fert, but one 50lb. bag and the axle will bend within 50 applications. The biggest 300 dollar piece of junk i ever bought.

The Lawn Crew
05-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Try looking at the Scots SR-2000. Virtues are under "Best Rotary Spreader" thread.

Here's a pic: