PDA

View Full Version : no water..and dandelions

musselman
05-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Im not a guy that does any spraying or fertilization...just mowing. My problem is that in my home town we are in the middle of a major drought...so the city will not let any outside watering to be done (good thing I have another job and do lawns part time) Anyways, a few of my accounts have asked what they can do about dandelions, and since most over the counter type stuff requires you to water before or after I was wondering if you guys knew of anything they could buy to use. I ve told most of them to call a pro, but many of them seem to want to do something themselves since lawn will not look good at all this year anyways. Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks

Grassmechanic
05-22-2003, 10:50 PM
If the grass is under stress from drought, more damage can result from herbicide applications for dandelion. During drought stress, hand picking is probably the best method to deal with weeds. The grass doesn't need the extra stress from chemicals. That's my .02

Mike

grassguy_
05-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Its true that putting any herbicide on with drought conditions isn't recommended, but spot treating with a general broad spectrum weed control, and using at low dosage rate can help keep weeds in check until conditions become more favorable. Read your label for the weed control specifics and applying under drought stress. I'm not sure the severity of your drought but you may spot treat a few plants first and see the effect after 4-5 days. Dandies, unfortunatley have a tap root system that allows them to tolerate extremes, so even when a moderate drought condition prevails dandies can flourish.