PDA

View Full Version : simplicty or john deere garden tractor?

nourroll
05-23-2003, 03:10 AM
I'm trying to decide between a simpcity conquest and a john deere lx277. I have around 2 acres to mow with some hills. They both seem pretty similar but my main concern is reliability. I know the deere will last but I dont have any experience with simplicitys. They do have the locking diff. and the deck seems like it would give a nice cut. Any suggestions?

leadarrows
05-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Go with the John Deer. The Simplicity I had had one problem after another. The plastic dash broke where it attachés to the mower the locking rear axle did not work. I think it's just a lie. The starter went out five times in three years. The out side deck rollers kept falling off. It was the most worthless mower I ever owned. It did mow nice when it wasn't broken down. Just for the record I was not that hard on it. I was not the only one two have similar problems. Sneak a peek into the services department at your dealer and look for common repairs being made. You will find more than one Simplicity getting a new dash I would bet. My 02

roadking35
05-23-2003, 08:56 AM
I would go for the Deere!. I have a 277 that I have been using at my lake property for 2 full years, cutting aprox 2 or so acres of grass. I have had no problems with this machine at all. This is my 2nd Deere the first was used for over 10 years with no problem either.
I am using a Hustler Z 60" for my own yard... now if you want to talk about a lawn mowing monster!!!!! anyway good luck!
mark

dbear
05-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Nourroll, I've used both a Deere (170 w/38") and Simp (AC B210 w/48") and I'd say that the Simp cuts much better, and the deck is infinitely easier to remove. Admittedly, my experience is based upon older machines, but from what I've seen, the Simp is still ahead of the Deere in both categories. However, either machine should be a good one.

That said, let me ask which dealer do you like better, or feel more comfortable with? Which tractor physically fits you better or are more comfortable on? Sometimes it's answers to these questions that determine final choice.

Maybe something to consider: A used commercial unit. My current mower is a Ransome three wheeler with 61" deck that I bought at an auction three years ago. This spring, I repowered it with a new engine. All totalled, I've got approx $2500 in it. My only regret is not having done it sooner. My mowing time went from around 4 hrs to a little less than 1.5 hrs for my 1.5 acres.

Good luck with your decision and let us know.

nourroll
05-23-2003, 01:01 PM
dbear, I've never actually been able to sit on the simplicity that I want. The dealers around here dont seem to keep many in stock, I did get to sit on the next step up the prestige and i loved it. The John Deeres always fit good to. The prices are about the same also. They want $3995 for an 18 horse 50" cut conquest, And $3900 for the 48" cut deere. The kawasaki engine and the reliable reputation the deere has are the only things keeping it in the race. I dont personaly know anyone down here that has a simplicity and the briggs engine has me a little worried about how it will hold up.

dbear
05-23-2003, 05:25 PM
If the Briggs is a Vanguard, it's a great engine, from what I've heard. It's actually of a Daihatsu(sp) design(?). I wonder if the lack of a Conquest at your local dealer is because of their popularity (can't keep them in stock) or because of their unpopularity (can't give them away so dealer doesn't order). Maybe the dealer could put you in touch with one of their customers.

I admittedly don't know a lot about either model. Once again, good luck..(Personally, I think most of the fun is in the looking...)