PDA

View Full Version : 6x6's Parking Area

River Hill
05-23-2003, 07:08 AM
I need to install a few 6x6's around a gravel parking area at my moms house. These will only hold back about 2" of gravel. Do you think I need to install a trench to hold the 6x6's in place or can I just lay them on the ground? If I just lay them on the ground should I anchor them and if so how? Also I really don't plan on stacking them. I just want to create a boarder.

Also if I wanted to connect these together end by end what is the best way.

bushwoods1
05-23-2003, 07:27 AM
I would scrape the gravel back out of the way where you are going to lay the timbers. The ground under it should be fairly well compacted already ( I assume, unless this is a new area ) Lay the timbers in, and I drill 3 holes in each timber, ( per each 8' timber) then use 2' long re-bar through the timbers into the ground. The re-bar can be picked up at Home Depot already cut into 2' pieces.

This should be more than enough to hold back the small amount of gravel, as well as handle the occasional car tire bumping into it.

I have done this on a large scale parking lot that used the timbers to box in 6" soil, as well as plants, (and yes the asphalt under the"box" was removed first for drainage ) for those of you that wondered.

This has worked well for me.

River Hill
05-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Bushwoods,

I see you are in Northern VA. I will be passing you on my way to Lake Anna, I can pick you up if you want to help me. I can then take you Bass Fishing.

Just Kidding, but thank you for the advice. I will stop by Home Depot on my ride down tonight.

bushwoods1
05-23-2003, 07:49 AM
I'm jealous.
I will be heading down there myself hopefully next week to do some fishing myself. Too much rain has kept me busy trying to play catch up.

Tight lines!!!