PDA

View Full Version : Edging questions???

rebel77
05-23-2003, 09:09 PM
What do you guys use to edge? I have a mclane edger that is ok for a bed that has been established. I know they make a different kind of edger that is for putting in new beds. What are they, cost, good brands, and what is the difference between the two?

Rebel77

jason r.
05-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Rebel,
I don't have one but I just got a free video on one in the mail from BedShaper. Call 1-866-233-7427 and request a free video and info. I'm sure they have a website but not sure what it is.

NCSULandscaper
05-24-2003, 12:01 AM
I use the trusty old shovel method.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
05-24-2003, 07:04 AM
I just purchased the ez-trencher and it seems to do a good job, it comes in handy on the tree bases because it has such a tight turning radius.

Steve
Pape's Landscape Maint.

rebel77
05-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks, I called for the video. How much am I looking at spending? I really think it would help me out.

Rebel77

crazygator
05-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Bringing this back up!

Also what is everyone charging to reshape a bed with a true bed edger per foot?

I have a new customer that I would like to bring this up before they put out the mulch, and thought I could work up a price before.

And which bed edger is everyone using/buying and why?

I have also been looking around and not too sure. Some look very similar in the way they work. Any advice is much appreciated!

gvandora
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
For bed edging here's what I do. I use a stick edger to cut the edge around the bed. Then I take a shovel at a 45 degree angle inside the edge to cut away a ledge for the mulch to lay on. The low end of the cut is towards the outside of the bed like this... \|

That's how I do it. It takes some time, but it really leaves some killer edges. As far as billing, take your hourly labor rate times your expected hours and there is your price.

rebel77
05-25-2003, 10:04 PM
I may try that. Do you use a spade or flat square shovel?

AztlanLC
05-26-2003, 02:07 AM
I friend of mine has a bedshaper, he lend it to me one day and I did fall in love with it, it's not the same doing 20' linear foot with a shovel than 3,000', the shape was perfect and the time that it took was amazing, (compare to a shovel or stick edger), I think it runs for about $4,500 but if you have the need for it it's worth it, this place, I did last year for about $600 I came up a little short at the end because the time that it took, but this year I made some good profit using the bedshaper, I now I have to get it next season.

GarPA
05-26-2003, 07:29 AM
The Brown bed edger is awesome..not only does it cut a perfect deep edge, but it pulverizes the soil. You then need only to brush the soil back into the bed and start the mulching. By far easier than edging by hand and no clods of dirt to haul away. I plan on buying one soon because I need it for many small jobs and renting it for a one or two hour job is not cost effective. The cost is around $1800. Will pay for itself very quickly. But.....even the new model where the back wheels can turn, does a lousy job going around even larger tree rings. I have to do those by hand. ALso, where there are shrubs right up to the edge, the discharge part of the machine will damge shrubs if you are not VERY careful. Once you use one of these you will want one...truly the most profitable machine I have ever used.

Old Hippy
05-27-2003, 09:32 AM
There are three types of bed shapers available in the world today
1. Shovels, the things with wood handles
2. Rotary edge cutters, like EzTrench, Brown, Qucik Trench and etc
3. Edge cutters, like Turfco, Bed Shaper

Big diff in units.
Rotary edgers have a big spinning blade that cuts the edge and blows the dirt up into the bed. Good for new beds as you can put the mulch on top of the dirt. Not so good for refreshing an old bed because the dirt blow up on top of the mulch and you have to re-mulch or rake the dirt in. The are pulled backwards and are tiresome.

Edgers that shave the edge off are Turfco at turfco.com and bedshaper. They just cut the edge of the bed off and leave it lying where you cut it. The make a nice sharp edge. You do have to pick up the dirt you cut off but it does not fly up into the bed. I have used them and if you cut like a half inch off it is really easy to pick up with a spade and haul off or fill in a low spot in the lawn.

With either unit you have to deal with the dirt it does not go away. Prices range from like $1300 to $5000. You have to go shopping. Suggest you start with magazine product guide book or internet.

the is money in them there edges

Oldhippy

CMerLand
05-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Crazy Gator,

To reply to your question regarding bed edging and what to charge for it when using a true bededger. For the record I have owned a bedshapper for about 5 years.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, charge exactly the same amount of money you have always charged for bed edging when you had to do it by hand with a shovel. If your clients have been paying you $ 200 to do their bed edging in the past and it took you 5 man ($ 40.00 per man hour) hours to do it with a $30.00 shovel, why would you even consider to do it any cheaper after now making a 2K to $ 3500 investment into a machine so you can now get it done in 2 man hours??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????? The end results will be exactly the same, only now your more effecient thanks to you investment.

Its far to late to save lawn mowing from this "deflation" of prices which is exactly why lawns today are still being cut for the same prices as 20 years ago. Guys have given away, for free, their increased efficiency thru their upgraded equipment purchases back to their clients by lowering their prices because it no longer takes them as long to do something. WHY?????

Still not convinced??? Okay, last try. You think I'm obviously nuts and disregard my advice and now are only going to charge the client $ 100 ($ 50.00 per man hour) for their $ 200 edging thinking they will forever love you for lowering their price. (NOT) The client is having a party and needs the beds edged, BUT the machine is down that week because of some mechanical problem and your waiting for parts, and you have to edge those beds by hand again. Do you think for a moment that you can explain to them that you need to charge them the additional hundred cause your machines broken????? Not likely huh?? So now its going to
take you those same 5 hours for only half the money, leaving you earning only $20.00 per man hour.

Get my point????? Did I convince you?? Never ever be afraid to pocket a profit because you became more effecient, especially, if the client is already accustomed to paying that amount.

Good luck.

Grassmechanic
05-27-2003, 02:49 PM
BedEdger by Brown. Can do about 100' of bed in 1 minute.

Mike