PDA

View Full Version : small over seeder

wrmarch
05-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey!

In 2001 I used an over seeder to seed into my existing lawn. The back which has full sun and a sprinkler system looks great.

My front lawn is half full sun and half shade (oaks and tall cedars)and a sprinkler system. Its my problem, very spotty with patches of dark green grass.

My question is, is there a small over seeder on the market to rent or should I loosen the soil and sprinkle seed around.

Thanks

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Sure you rent overseeders. $120 a day for the nice Ryan Mataway around here. Can also rent a smaller power rake, get the cutting blade, not the swinging hammers. About $40 a day. Either will do the job.
Make sure you get a shade mix of seed.

mr.lawnzap
05-26-2003, 02:50 AM
you can use a rotary-spreader to re-seed, can buy one for30-50 bucks from wal-mart or home depot, aerate youre lawn and then overseed.

Mike Bradbury
05-26-2003, 03:30 AM
I've never been happy with the aerate/seed process. To much clumping as the seed only takes in the aeration holes. Got to do something to rough up the soil in the 95% of the area not touched by the plugs. Power rake, THEN aerate, very good.

mr.lawnzap
05-26-2003, 03:38 AM
i never have problems with the aeration and seeding process,works great if done properly!

Mike Bradbury
05-27-2003, 01:04 AM
So explain how you do it "properly", cause I and the three differnent companies I sub for all consider it unacceptable. Help me out.