PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Contracts

gilllawnservice
05-24-2003, 11:07 AM
I have several residential contracts and although they are lucrative, I definately have more capacity for work. I have been banging my head trying to figure out the best way to market for commercial accounts. Most either want referrals from other commercial accounts or won't even return my calls. I have been cold calling property management companies for fax numbers to request inclusion in their bid vendors list but I don't know if the fax will pan out for me or not. I've even walked into a few just starting businesses in an attempt to get an account but to date I have nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gill Lawn Service

www.gill-lawns.com:dizzy:

Green in Idaho
05-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Commercial accounts esp property managers take a little longer to cultivate. Just keep your name in front of them in a nice and friendly manner and you will eventually get an invite to submit a bid. You may miss several bids before landing one.

btbej
05-27-2003, 03:17 PM
I am currently starting my own lco biz and having a great time with it. Fortunately I have been working for a commercial janitorial service for two years and have an idea how to get into these head managements heads.....you don't! They don't care about you at all. They get 20 calls a day from lco's, janitorial services, etc and they will not remember you!

The best thing I found to do is mail professional looking information (not a piece of paper flyer) to them because they will file it. Keep your name in front of them about every two months and you may just get the call....it can take up to five years to land it though.

Just keep in mind when thinking commercial contracts are the way to go......."they didn't care about you before you did their lawn maintenance and they don't care about you now". These building managers are all about dollars and cents and it is a very tuff biz dealing with commercial.

That is why I am starting my own residential lco biz. I will take on mom and pop business type settings.

Just my thought!

gilllawnservice
05-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Great input but quite negative. I certainly understand about the "I don't remember you " thing.

I have residential now and it's great but my capacity is that of wanting more yards to do. Commercial contracts would be money I didn't have to troll for with residential contracts.

I'll heed your advice and continue to wear them out.

Regards,

GLS

btbej
05-27-2003, 03:58 PM
sorry about the negativity, but I have had to deal with these people for the last 2 years and basically am glad to be getting laid off so I can deal with real people that respect quality service and not just the $$$'s.

Sorry, but go for it....just pick and choose who you deal with!

Good luck!