PDA

View Full Version : Trailer with front mounted dump box ?

Turf Dancer
05-25-2003, 07:30 AM
I have an idea to build a trailer with a dump box across the front that will dump to the side for debris, you know a dump box for grass! my idea is to build a 14' trailer, the back 10' portion would be for equipment. the front 4' x width of trailer would be a dump box for grass and I could use it for bark chips etc. I plan on the dump box having 3' to 4' sides! so the ends of the box would be on the sides of the trailer on the front, which I could have lettered ! Has anyone built a trailer like this ? If so could you post a picture please. I think I have it figured out but I would like any ideas you may have!

Smitty58
05-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Turf Dancer, I don't have one but now I want one. I've got a few ideas. What if you built a box the width of your trailer and say 2-3 feet wide. Keep it up off the floor so you can put stuff underneath. On the inside of the box slant the bottom towards the side you want to dump on. Put a hinged door (hinges on the bottom) and build the door with sides so when you drop the door it forms a shute. Then instead of dumping you simply rake whatever you have in the box out. You could probably line or paint the bottom with something to make the stuff slide out easier. This would not be as slick as a dump ,but a lot easier to build and really nothing to tear up. Then all you have to do is pull up to where you want to dump ,drop the shute and pull the junk out. As a matter of fact this could work pretty good for mulch too. If you position a wheel barrel under the shute simply rake it in.
Thanks for the idea now I've gotta build one.

Seon
05-25-2003, 10:00 AM
My thoughts would be the weight of the dump when full of grass. This would increase the weight on the tongue hitch which in turn will affect your steering? BTW, when dumping, the weight of the load will shift towards one side...will it tip the trailer towards that side?
These are just my thoughts and may not even be a factor. Good luck.

Lech615
05-25-2003, 11:51 AM
I really like this idea. i have been thinking about something similar but not sure how to go about it yet. Lert me kow if you have anymopre ideas. Hey maybe you could patent it and sell when you figure it out

Thanks
Carl

wxmn6
05-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Seon
My thoughts would be the weight of the dump when full of grass. This would increase the weight on the tongue hitch which in turn will affect your steering?

Good point - I would think that you can counter balance by moving the equipment back at the end of trailer. Heck, if it was a full 14' trailer, you still would be putting 1000 pounds machine in front and still have plenty of equipement behind to help counter balance. So I don't think it would be a big deal, I THINK.

Originally posted by Seon
BTW, when dumping, the weight of the load will shift towards one side...will it tip the trailer towards that side?
These are just my thoughts and may not even be a factor. Good luck.

Another good issue to point out. I guess it's time to invent a leg stablizator like those on big ladder fire trucks! :D Oh wait, by the time everything is done and loaded up, you would be well at the max GVWR. :dizzy:

Green Pastures
05-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Debris Systems-http://www.debrissystems.com/index.html

Dump and Go Products-http://www.dumpandgo.com/products.htm

fblandscape
05-25-2003, 07:01 PM
I would think for a stabilizer all you will need is a 2x2 reciever hitch on the side of the trailer that you can slide a stabilizer into and just lock in there with a pin for quick dumping. Another thought is, if you want to use this for bulk materials, how are you going to load the box? Most wheel loaders around here at least just barely are able to dump into the back of a long bed pick-up. You might have luck being loaded by a skid steer though.

landscaper3
05-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Get a 16' tandem trailer put a 4x8 easy dump insert up front and you will have about 12' of equipment room! Or go for a 18'footer

Doogiegh
05-25-2003, 08:03 PM
My trailer is a 16'. I used the first 7 feet for a dump box and the remaining 9 feet for equipment.

Doogiegh
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Here's a pic of the box 1/2 open. I used plywood sides that mount on with a latch and pin kind of system. I can dump leaves in there all day long during a cleanup, come home, take off both sides of the trailer and push the stuff out to the right and left.. Put the sides back on and all done.

Doogiegh
05-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Last one - The trailer was built back in the fall and only got some use due to the crappy weather. This spring, I touched up some things (Like paint and cutting the wood to the right length, etc).

Here is what it looks like now (and it's still a work in progress)

Green in Idaho
05-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Interesting. Invention is the mother of necessity!

Is your design due to towing it with something other than a truck?

Doogiegh
05-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Pulling trailer with Dodge 1500 truck, but don't want to get truck constantly messed up with clippings, trimmings, leaves, branches, etc.

My equipment space requirements for right now aren't all too much, and wanted something to be able to fill up and dump easily.. The truck could be done, but I have another job so mounting a leaf box of some sort onto the truck wouldn't be good.. And I'm not taking a leaf box on and off all the time either..

So the trailer idea was rigged up.. Could put a debris box in the back, but then how to get equipment on and off? So came up with this idea and I think it's really pretty unique and fits my situation 100%. I just have to paint the gas-can rack black and the inside walls which I didn't do before so it looks "finished" and then it's all set. :)

Gary

Turf Dancer
05-26-2003, 05:32 AM
This project has been in the works for a couple of years! I was looking for any ideas or to find out if anyone else had built one with a hydraulic dump box on front! The debris system trailers are expensive ! the smallest model is over $15,000. It is a nice system but high dollars ! I am thinking a trailer for the average one man show that i could manufacture and market for less than the cost of a Stander ! I have it almost completely figured out but I am still working on it ! I should have a unit built by nest spring. I don't want to build it too light or use any cheap components!

cat320
05-26-2003, 01:29 PM
15K you have any pics you post of it? would just like to see what could cost so much.

Green Pastures
05-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by cat320
15K you have any pics you post of it? would just like to see what could cost so much.

Go to the websites I listed above...................

gogetter
10-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Turf Dancer, did you come up with anything yet?

Green in Idaho
10-17-2003, 12:24 AM
and DoogiegH,

how did that trailer set-up work for you this summer? Ready for leaves with it?

therainman
10-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Dump n Go is great. There is one here in town. He would not trade it for anything. The people at unruh have been great to him. I would like to get one myself. Too much money though. around 20k.

shawn