PDA

View Full Version : Lawn is yellowing?

ArchiesLawns
05-25-2003, 11:29 AM
I have a lawn(bermuda) that is yellowing in a circle about 20 x 30. The entire area is about 25 x 35. But the edges are staying dark green. Does not look like Dollar spot or Brown Patch.. The tips of the blades are turning yellow which look like they have yellowish/brown tips.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

greenman
05-25-2003, 10:46 PM
where's your location? did this start out small and get bigger or just all of it yellow at one time? Were there any chemicals applied? Need more information please.

SWD
05-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Other than a chemical burn, this sounds like Curvularia. Treat it the same way you would Brown Patch.

ArchiesLawns
05-25-2003, 11:00 PM
It did not start in one spot and get bigger. The entire area started changing all at once. I have treates this area the same as the entire yard. Barricade back in Feb along with Simazine and Trimec. Then put a 32-3-7 30% SCU w/2% FE on it in April. I have checked for grubs, nothing. Put Lime down last November. This area is very noticable. Almost looks as if it is dying off.

Thanks for the help!

SWD
05-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Yep, sounds like a root borne disease. Have you pulled any samples from the edges of the diseased/not diseased areas and looked at the roots?
Are the roots brown, white or not there?
Thypically what occurs with Curvularia is the turf is stressed from mis/under fertilization and/or pesticide induced stress in addition to favorable weather conditions for this disease.
Remember, most turfgrass pathogens already exist in/on the turfgrass itself. Once the turfgrass is stressed (read weakened) the balance between the diseases and the healthy turf fighting off the disease is broken. This is when symptoms appear.
However, to combat the stress, you have to know what type of turf you are managing, the health of the soil, and the growing conditions best suited for that turf.
As far as learning the diseases that can strike turfgrass, I would recommend the following: Compendium of Turfgrass Diseases. ISBN#: 0-89054-124-8 distributed through APS Press.
I will warn you in advance, the Compendium doesn't make good bed time reading. You have to pay attention and apply what you are reading to the turf management area you are responsible for. However, on a positive note, the color plates in this text make the acquisition of this text worth it.

ArchiesLawns
05-26-2003, 10:41 AM
Where would I find this book? Also, what recommendations would you do to correct this problem?

Thanks

kppurn
05-26-2003, 12:06 PM
http://www.shopapspress.org/41248.html

SWD
05-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Go to any book store, quote the ISBN # and you have it.
As far as treating the problem, I have not a concrete idea as I know not the previous maintenance.
Let me know the: turf type, fertilization, herbicide/pesticide application, temperature, height of cut, type of cut - and possibly I may be able to assist you.

ArchiesLawns
05-26-2003, 10:30 PM
It is a hybrid bermuda. I used Barricade, simazine, and Trimec on the first application. Then I put down 32-3-7 with 30% SCU & 2% FE in April. It is cut at 3" .

Thanks for any help. Also, do you think Banner Maxx would help?

ArchiesLawns
05-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Also, the temp has been around 70-80 during the day and high 50's to low 60's at night.

Ilovegreen
05-27-2003, 08:01 AM
Does this lawn happen to have a round above ground pool???

Lohr Equipment & Wel
05-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Maybe fairy ring, not much to do except mask with fertilization and possibly aeration might help. good luck

Williams Services
02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Another thread resurrection ...
Simazine's label specifies not to use more than .72 oz/m ... was the rate applied greater than that? (Do you remember? :D )

slow release
02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Dude, look at the dates these threads were posted, it was almost two years ago. I hope he resolved the problem and isn't still looking for advice! :dizzy:

Williams Services
02-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Hence it being a thread resurrection ... dude.