PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Start fast

stainedrug
05-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Hello all, a friend of mine and me are interested in getting into the lawn care services. We know someone in another county who has too many contracts and wants someone to take some over for him so he does not loose face. There are three commercial accounts needing mowed twice a month one is a hospital about 650 per month. I am very interested in starting my own business. I really don't have the money to go and buy all of my stuff and am unsure of what steps to take to start the "business end" of it. What are the steps for getting business licenses and such. I figured i could get the business license and get myself a business loan to buy some real good equipt. I don't want to go out there with a res mower and screw it up on my first job. Any input would be helpful Thanks.:blob2: :blob2:

Turf Pro Lawn Care
05-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Hello,
I am pretty new at my own business also. I sold my classic Corvette to buy my equipment and my truck. I paid cash for all but the truck. If you have something that you could sell, you can always replace this item in the future.

Good Luck
Bob

greenman
05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
OMG, you should've kept the 'Vette!

Turf Pro Lawn Care
05-26-2003, 10:13 AM
I still have one Corvette (1979). I still work my full time job in Tele Comm also, I am hoping to go in LCO full time in 2005. I have 2 Commercial Condo's and 8 residential homes, I hope to gain 40 more residentials before the end of summer. I will be putting out some door hangers in a couple weeks. I am not in a big hurry.

Bob

stainedrug
05-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Lemme guess CATV contractor.. arent we all. I am also in that line of work looking to stay home some more

Turf Pro Lawn Care
05-27-2003, 01:13 AM
Nope Not CATV. I got my start there about 15 years ago.
I work for Airnet Communications. We design and deploy wireless GSM Base stations. I was part of the team that built the wireless telephone system in Afghanistan. (phase 1).
I spent 5 months there. I am hopeing to get an oppurtunity to go to Iraq.

Bob

stainedrug
05-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Not alot of grass there!!:D

Auroris
05-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Former cellular Network Field Engineer - enjoying the sun and fresh air much more than the cool, air conditioned buildings filled with the constant whir of fans.

Best wishes this season.

Cole

Let it Grow
05-30-2003, 09:22 PM
I don't know about in your state but here in Wa you can
fill out a business licesnse application online, and get your UBI instantly. If you are doing commercial accounts you will most likely need (and want) liability insurance, probably at least $500,000 coverage. It would be good to write a business plan as well. You can get info on this at www.sba.gov. It is a great site for new and old businesses. If you have decent credit you should be able to get a business loan fairly easily. I started my business for less than $10,000. Just make sure your buddy is really gonna give you the lawns he said he would. Good Luck.

LawnMowerMan2003
06-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Well, this would be my strategy for starting:

If you don't have the money to get all the equipment I would reccomend starting with what you can afford. Otherwise, what happens if take out a loan and find out you don't like the business? Or things don't go quite as planned, and you decide it would be better to go with something else. Then you are either stuck with all that equipment or you sell it at a loss. If the property is not too big there's no reason why you would "screw it up" with a 21" mower. I've done commercial accounts with 21" mowers before. You just have to be sure you get a decent brand. I have been the most satisfied with Snapper mowers, and one reason for this is that you get the same self-propel on the cheaper models that you do on the $700-900 commercial 21" models. And there's not plastic gears or junk on a Snapper. I've proved they will hold up to at least one season with around 30 residential customers without breaking down much. You'll probably want to spend at least $300 on an Echo Trimmer, but this still means you could purchase your minimum equipment to get started for less that $1000. I know it can be done, because I didn't have any other options in the past.

CoachLinz
06-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm up and running with a $4000 start up budget. I got everything I need including my truck within that budget. Just have to be resourceful and find quality used stuff as far as mower, truck, etc. I bought new trimmer and blower. And it's all good commercial stuff - Echo trimmer and Blower, Bobcat 48" w/b, etc. Just have to look around a bit. Good luck.

LawnMowerMan2003
06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I need to start looking around myself. I could use some better equipment, and should be able to save up $4000 by sometime next season. What kind of truck did you get?

gogetter
06-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Stained, look for your states website. My state (PA) has a whole section on starting a business. Tells ya pretty much everything I needed to know.

Unfortunatley, I didn't think to look there until many months after I had already started (and had already asked tons of questions here) LOL!

Good luck.

Steve HTLC
06-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Hello Im steve, I just started as well, we just registerd with the town, and we are gathering equipment, good luck everybody, especially the newbies.