PDA

View Full Version : Painting your Trailer

Expert Lawns
05-26-2003, 06:18 PM
What is the best way to go about painting a trailer? It's a 6x10 US Cargo Open trailer. I'm thinking spray paint is the best way? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Mowingman
05-26-2003, 11:53 PM
I have painted several of my trailers with spray cans. I get the "Rust Stop" brand that they have at Ace Hardware. Lookes fine when I am done, and it is cheap. I think it took about 10 cans for my 16x6.5 trailer with ramp. Buy one of those clip on triggers. You can wear your finger out in a hurry without one:D

Simone Lawn Service
05-27-2003, 01:35 AM
I also need to paint my open trailer soon. I think I'll spray the metal, but for the wood floor I'm considering rolling it (it's black) and putting some of that anti-slip grit you can buy to add to the paint.

Harry0
05-30-2003, 09:30 PM
I usually paint mine in the winter so I use brush and small rollers for the easy to get to areas and spray cans for the hard to get. I might use all can but the ventelation is not there in my shop-1 gallon did my 10' and my 12' o yeah I wire brush and prime-They get done every other year-Harry

hunter
06-01-2003, 12:07 AM
never paint your floor. But coat it once a year with linseed oil. Better protection for the wood and helps it last twice as long as paint.

paponte
06-04-2003, 11:30 PM
I spray all of our trucks. If you have a compressor, invest in a gravity gun. You can get them cheap on eBay. Buy a gallon of rustoleum, and some paint thinner. Sprays on quick ind effortless. Not only that, but your finger doesn't go numb from holding down the spray can button! :cool:

blafleur
06-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Harry0
I usually paint mine in the winter so I use brush and small rollers for the easy to get to areas and spray cans for the hard to get. I might use all can but the ventelation is not there in my shop-1 gallon did my 10' and my 12' o yeah I wire brush and prime-They get done every other year-Harry

Do you also do the underside. If so do you use the same paint or some special undercoating?

Bryan

stevo22
06-06-2003, 12:58 AM
i bought a 16x6.5 trailer last yr, dual axles, elec brakes, 4 foot expanded all the way around...only problem was that it was baby blue...the guy that i bought it from had it custom made, and it is heavy duty...very stout..not sure why it was blue..i sandblasted the blue off and the rust and shot black on it...tractor paint from tsc...looks pretty good too..painted the wood floor too...had to buy four new tires...couldn't pass it up...paid six bills for it, plus the new tires...made out like a bandit...hell there is almost that much in the axles and expanded..

bob
06-07-2003, 12:21 PM
I paint my trailer every year. I use 2 cans of black gloss spray paint.

Expert Lawns
03-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm bumping this thread......

I just bought a red tandem axle open trailer and need to paint it. I want to either sand it down and repaint it a bright red color (its red now), or sand it down and repaint it a glossy black.....any suggestions? also, can I use a light grit attachment on my angle grinder to sand it down? thanks

FERT-TEK
03-16-2005, 02:54 PM
What is the best way to go about painting a trailer? It's a 6x10 US Cargo Open trailer. I'm thinking spray paint is the best way? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
buy one gallon of rustoleum and a 3" roller for the side rails and a regular roller for larger areas and go to town. Later after rolling everything then use rustoleum spray paint for the areas you cant get.

green814
03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
When I repainted my 6.5x10 trailer, I used a couple wire wheels on my die grinder & electric drill to remove the old paint & any surface rust. Personal preference would be red, but it's up to you. Good luck.
Chris

barnard
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
There are lots of nooks and crannys on a trailer- Hard to sand. I've painted several. I spray it down with a good stout degreaser. Pressure wash it. Then shoot it. If you want to improve the adhesion a bit spray it with Jamb-it or other liquid "sander". A quick shot with lquer thinner will work if the old paint is well cured (several years old). If its pretty new the laquer thinner will wrinkle it like paint remover. I usually just degrease,wash, dry, shoot.

jreiff
03-20-2005, 11:20 PM
We take ours to a local metal shop and have all ours sand blasted. We usually reapaint our trailers when we refloor the trailer.

Kind of dumb for us not to have the trailer sand blasted before we paint it, because of the winter weather here and all the road salt.

We paint are own trailers. We use the spray painters with the air compressor. Works out pretty good.

Soupy
03-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I use rollers for most of it and then spray the hard to reach areas. Works great.

RedWingsDet
03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Im painting mine to. Its black now, If I just wash it with my high bit powerwasher (12hp), and then wait for it to dry and just spray the new black paint over it, will it be okay?

Thanks.

green814
03-23-2005, 11:04 AM
PL
Use primer before spraying the black. It is hard to say what brand paint was used, so using primer will prevent an interaction between the 2 brand of paint. Plus it will help the black stick to the trailer.
Chris