PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeding - Pricing Vetch

turfquip
05-27-2003, 11:24 AM
I have an opportunity to bid a job with the following variables:

Square feet is 14,000, slope is 1 to 1, this is new construction, grade is established but erosion has created rivulets from top to bottom, customer wants me to shoot it 'as is', access from top only, using a T-60, no water on site, job is 10 miles from shop.

Now the questions...what is the preferred amount of vetch seed, companion grass variety, and pricing for a job like this? How much hydromulch to use/type?

I have shot a pretty fair amount of turf but have only one previous job with vetch so confidence is not real high with the stuff.

Thanks to all!

Ed

John Allin
05-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Ernst CrownVetch Farms / Ernst Conservation Seeds

Great people to deal with. Call them, and they'll answer all your questions - and sell you the Vetch cheaper than you'll get anywere else (from our experience).

www.ernstseed.com

Harleyman
05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
I always run a rye grass or winter wheat in the mix to get a quick veg on hill. 4 Pounds per thousand i think, but check site. Let them know that the vetch may not come up for 1-2 years i have had 2 jobs that took 2 years for the winter weather to break that lagume seed, even with the innoculant Tripled!!!! If you do not let them know they will keep bugging you about it.

The Good Earth
05-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Ed,

Here is my $.02 worth. I would consider broadcasting the vetch @ 1 lb. per thousand. Run a rake over the seed and rough the ground up a bit to ensure good soil contact. Mix some annual rye @ 2.5 lbs per thousand with some Conwed 2000 and Lesco 18-24-9 @ 3 lbs. per thousand. Apply the mulch @ 3000 lbs per acre. That will give you just about $400.00 in materials.

As far as the water, I would figure 3 trips to the water site. If you are filling up at your shop, which you say is 10 miles away, I would figure a 35 minute turnaround time.

So your start at 7 am. Fill the tank and hit the road. Get to the job and broadcast the vetch. Rough the ground up a bit and start shooting by 8:30. By 9:30 you have another load ready to shoot, and by 10:30 you are putting down your final load. By noon you are back at the shop and cleaning up. Young and the Restless comes on at 12:30 and you should have plenty of time to tune in for that!! :D

Charge them $.0725 per square foot and bill them for $1,015.00. They are happy, you are happy, everyone wins!!

Lesco in Cincy has a bunch of Vetch. I have thrown it one 3 jobs this year and my guys have been getting it from the store down there.

Harleyman
05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
If he has a hydroseeder thats the only way to go. We have seeded old compacted gravel roads for towns and the stuff will grow. Sounds like a lot of extra work for nothing. I have also grown vetch on shale face cliffs without any prep. Invasive plant loves anything you give it.

turfquip
05-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks everybody for your fantastic input so far!

Keep those ideas coming :-)

SCL
05-28-2003, 10:29 AM
I vetched 300 feet on a crazy slope last year and nursed with perennial rye. I weedwhacked once last year and its ugly already this spring. Vetch is present but other stuff is getting away. Any thoughts or herbicides that may work?

John Allin
05-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Takes the Vetch 3 years to take hold.
Two years from now you'll see the Vetch taking over.
Five years from now, Vetch is all you'll see.
Seven years from now - you'll never get rid of it.

Harleyman
05-28-2003, 08:11 PM
thats what makes it great!

crazygator
06-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by John Allin
Takes the Vetch 3 years to take hold.
Two years from now you'll see the Vetch taking over.
Five years from now, Vetch is all you'll see.
Seven years from now - you'll never get rid of it.

John,
We too have a slope that is ugly right now. Vetch is there, but as commented on above so is a whole lot of others things too.

Would you suggest trimming off the tops of the other stuff to keep it down and looking some what presentable? Or would it be better to whack it all the way down, to allow the vetch to grow over?