PDA

View Full Version : Breaking up grass & dirt clumps??

MikeA
05-28-2003, 11:26 AM
I just finished digging out for a patio. I now have clumps of dirt and grass that were removed from the patio area that I placed around the house that I will use to regrade the land. Is there any easy way to break these clumps up? Will a tiller do it? Is there a different piece of machinery that will do it? After busting by tail to build the patio I am looking for the easiest way to break them down into a form of dirt that can be graded.

MikeA
05-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Any ideas????

Grassmechanic
05-28-2003, 10:40 PM
rototiller should work.

Mike

MikeA
05-29-2003, 01:03 PM
I am guessing Home Depot should have that for me to rent. Should I wait until it dries out some or do it while it is still fresh?

BigDave
05-29-2003, 02:49 PM
I'm not so sure how well a tiller will work - but if you try it, I would't wait until the clumps dry out, otherwise the tiller will probably just throw the clumps.

Here's another idea which sounds like more work, but perhaps in the long-run isn't:

Lowes sells a 5 foot steel tamping rod. It's heavy enough that you can more or less just drop it on the clumps, and it should break them up pretty well. Do this only after the clumps have dried out.

Grassmechanic
05-30-2003, 08:20 AM
a rototiller will work fine. A reartine tiller even better.

Mike