Envy Lawn Service
05-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Can anyone identify this?

atwoodsz
05-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Looks Like a dwarf Violet liliac from the pic

Envy Lawn Service
05-29-2003, 02:43 AM
Thanks, I tried searching the net to see if I could confirm if it was that. However my searches came up empty. You wouldn't happen to know the scientific name for it would you?

When it was small, it looked sort of like a hedge sprout. It has developed quickly and this year is the first time it has flowered. Until now I hadn't really paid any attention to it much other than noticing it was growing fast and appeared very healthy.

Georgiehopper
05-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Are those flowers white? Its hard for me to tell. If so, there is a type of privet which resembles that plant with the same type of flowers and its evergreen. I have one growing on my property and it has those shiny leaves with nice white flowers. I wish the flowers pictured were a little more clear.

I don't think your plant is a lilac (syringa species)...I have never seen lilacs with such shiny leaves.

mdvaden
05-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Is there a Sasanqua camelia variety with a fine texture petal like that?

Camelia sasanqua '?'

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Yes the flowers are white.

I will search on that other species mentioned as well.

Georgiehopper
05-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Is it shrubby or vining?

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Shrubby, tree like even...

mdvaden
05-30-2003, 10:39 AM
These are fall / winter, but it gives an idea of what's out there for spring look too. Does it look similar to these?:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/camelli1.html

Georgiehopper
05-30-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm still leaning toward japanese or waxleaf privet. It grows 8 to 12 feet tall, produces white nice looking flowers, is evergreen and grows like a weed.

Are the leaves growing opposite each other on the stem?

JimLewis
05-31-2003, 08:30 PM
I am not as familiar with the wax-leaf privit but I'd swear that's a Lilac!

Envy Lawn Service
05-31-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Georgiehopper
I'm still leaning toward japanese or waxleaf privet. It grows 8 to 12 feet tall, produces white nice looking flowers, is evergreen and grows like a weed.

Are the leaves growing opposite each other on the stem?

That sounds like a good description of it. Yes, for the most part the leaves are growing that way. From a distance the flowers look shaped like a buch of grapes. Upon closer inspection it is actually a bunch of white X petal flowers.

yourlawnguy
06-01-2003, 10:49 AM
I agree with Georgiehopper, the Privet is also known as ligustrum, they are very common down here.

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Eric,

Thank you! The word ligustrum and the fact you are in Florida helped me get a
positive ID (http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/ligu_jap.cfm). I could match up the trunk in the first picture and the flowers and leaves in the second one.

You guys who take care of these all the time will have to help educate me on how to care for them properly. The entire ordeal about this little tree has been completely freak luck.

The most pressing issue it that it really should be relocated to a better location farther away from the house.

Thanks again! I can always count on all of you guys to try and help me when I need it!