PDA

View Full Version : Die-Hard

Envy Lawn Service
05-28-2003, 03:02 PM
This is one Die-Hard little weed. It's the only thing to escape my apps. I spot sprayed for it a second time and still have some. It seems that some of it browns, then recovers.

It sort of sickens me to see this stuff in this lush green turf.

HELP :(

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 12:48 AM
To me it looks like blurry chickweed.

Should be easy to kill with 2,4-D.

See if you can get a better pic please.

Try and match it up on www.weedalert.com

Envy Lawn Service
05-29-2003, 12:55 AM
LGF,

Thanks for the help. I will check out that site and "try" to get a better picture. My camera is far from the best.

2,4-D is what I've been using. After two applications with marginal success.......well, time to hit the books and figure out something else.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 12:59 AM
Are these from your new ZTR?

Envy Lawn Service
05-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Yup :D

Envy Lawn Service
05-29-2003, 02:52 AM
Here is a picture I took of this stuff browning. You can see it best in the stripe coming from the bottom righthand corner.
:cry:

Envy Lawn Service
05-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
See if you can get a better pic please.

Try and match it up on www.weedalert.com

I went through the entire southeastern list on that site. No match.

I tried getting some better pics with no luck. I even pulled some and tried taking at least a dozen pictures of it. Seems when I get close enough to show any detail, the picture just gets blury.

Here is a second pic I took at the same time as the first one. It's not really any better either.

Turf Medic
05-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Do you have a knowledgeable Lesco dealer close by, I have pulled weeds that I couldn't id and taken them in for some help. I don't buy much from Lesco but the guys here seem to like a challenge. Also if you have a county extension or something like that they are usually quick to help.

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Turf Medic,

Unfortunately I don't have a Lesco nearby. I had planned to take a sample to my extension agent for ID. Now that I think of it, my local Southern States store used to have a huge info book that I may be able to ID it from. They "may" have something to help me on their site as well.

mr.lawnzap
05-30-2003, 04:00 AM
have you tried trimec??

philk17088
05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Could be Veronica,which 2,4D will stun but not kill. It's everywhere here in PA.

KenH
05-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Are those flowers or seedheads??? Looks a little like annual bluegrass going to seed.....cant kill that with trimec. Im sure you know what that looks like though...wouldnt be a great mystery.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
have you tried trimec?? Which Trimec, there are about 10 of them?

mr.lawnzap
05-30-2003, 08:31 PM
trimec-992

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2003, 11:54 PM
* I have not tried Trimec yet. I will NOT be doing another app of anything until I know exactly what it is and what kills it.

* I will search for pictures of the Veronica.

*It is not Annual Bluegrass, just a blury picture....

After a lot of searching through pictures, the only thing I have found that resembles it is some memers of the Parsley family.

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2003, 12:34 AM
OK I'm nearly convinced it is parsley piert envn though it also resembles one of the Veronica varieties as well. The leaves look like they are pictured below. But they seem more petite an more lime green in color. The stems have a purple tint. It does have a bushy growth pattern in thin open areas like in the picture (in bed areas). I would describe he growth pattern there as like a bonsai tree.

However, out inthe turf it grows upright in single stems. I suppose this is because the turf is very dense and crowding it out. Some of it now looks dead for good after the second 2,4-D app. But some is again recovering somehow and some appears completely unaffected.

If it is in fact Parsley Piert, then I believe a Trimec would be the app of choice to finish it off. Here is the picture.

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2003, 12:36 AM
In this picture of it, the tall portion to the upper left most resembles the single stem growth I'm seeing in the turf.

grassguy_
06-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Looks quite similar to Corn Speedwell of the veronica family. Really a persistent hard to control annual, but once the temps increase mother nature will handle what the herbicides don't. Usually takes a few consistent weed sprays to get good control.