PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Turf Hydro Seeding Systems

jeff_0
05-28-2003, 06:21 PM
any here used there hydro seeder before... i seams a little cheaper then a couple other one's i have looked at. Any suggestoins helpful..

MCGRAIL LAWN
05-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I am thinking about buying the 100 gal
Hyrdo seeder by Turbo Turf

The turbo turf sounds like a machine to get you started. And you need to look at better machines

mike9497
05-28-2003, 09:44 PM
get the video and info package. i asked about the turbo turfs and the easy lawns about 3 weeks ago and nobody posted

Grassmechanic
05-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Jet agitation sucks. Mechanical agitation is the only way to go, IMHO.

Mike

mike9497
05-28-2003, 10:12 PM
mechanical sucks because theres to many parts that will break in time.i know i have one lol lol

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 01:33 AM
jet agitation breaks the seed up.

Mechanical mixes without tearing the seed up, and can mix faster and thicker slurries.

What to go wrong with 2 grease fittings and a chain?

worthbrown
05-29-2003, 10:23 AM
I have rented a mechanical agitation, and I own an Easy Lawn jet agitation. For all factors considered, (cost, maintenance, ease of use), the jet is by far the best for me. A jet agitation does not damage the seed, I get sod quality results very quickly. I have a 600 gal unit, and when seeding by myself, I can seed about 1.5 acres per day, a little more with a helper. If you are looking at a unit that small, the jet is the way to go. With my Easy Lawn, I can do just as much at a much lower overhead than anyone else with the same size mechanical machine. I feel the Turbo Turf and Easy Lawn are similiar enough that either would work well. I would recommend getting the largest pump/engine combo that they offer.

turfquip
05-29-2003, 07:57 PM
That's good advice about buying the largest engine and pump availabe for the size machine you are considering.

If you have a moment, check out the following link...

Honda Power (http://www.turfquip.com/hydroseeding.html)

paul
05-29-2003, 10:43 PM
I have yet to see a jet machine mix and shoot heavy slurries. they just can't do it. Most, if not all jet machines are limited to 30 lbs of mulch per 100 gallons of water. Machines like Finn and Bowie will handle 50 to 60 lbs of mulch per 100 gallons of water. In our 600 gallon Finn our normal load is 250 lbs of 100% wood mulch. Even though it says its a 600 gallon tank you can only load 500 gallons allowing for the mulch, seed and other additives. This takes 15 minutes to load and 10 minutes to shoot. Now if you are applying 1500 to 2500 lbs of mulch per acre, you need 6 to 10 loads. A jet machine you would need 8 to 14 loads to do this. Remember Iron you pay for once labor you keep paying for.

turfquip
05-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Paul is absolutely correct. We recommend 33 lbs. in our TQ 110 machine, and 100 lbs. in our TQ 300.

I had a guy call me the other day interested in a 110 gallon unit and actually get mad when I reminded him he would need to fill the tank 46 times to cover an acre at the 1500 lb. rate.

The numbers simply can't lie. But I still contend that for small jobs , repairs, etc., a jet machine is very adequate. For guys that cant plop down 18 - 20K for a Finn, four thousand for a decent 300 gallon unit makes sense.

If you can make money with a 300 gallon jet, you can probably justify the bigger purchase in the near future. Makes sense to 'probe' your market...determine demand before you take the plunge. That's the way I did it anyway :-)

Alan
05-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Paul,

How big a nozzle do you have to allow you to shoot 500 gallons in 10 minutes? I'm running a .400x 80° nozzle and it takes me that long to run through a 200 gallon load in my jet machine.

Incidentally, I built my own jet unit, and while it's not earthshaking I can average 4,000 ft per hour working alone. I nurse the seeder from either a 1,000 gallon or 400 gallon tank in either the dump truck or the pickup. I prefer the big tank as I I can get almsot 12,000 ft per trip between tank and seeder.

Running after water is the time killer, but that is the same problem no matter what type of agitation you have.

I'm hoping to build a 500 gallon unit with more/bigger jets and incorporate a full work platform at tank height with the pumps and plumbing underneath. I'm thinking of going with dual pumps to eliminate the potential problem of a pump failure with a job half done.

paul
05-30-2003, 08:24 PM
We have 3 nozzles I'll check in the am. The long range nozzle is the slowest and the wide fan is the fastest.

worthbrown
05-30-2003, 09:15 PM
I agree that jet agitation is not for everyone, but for someone new to the business, not knowing if the machine will pay for itself, it may be the best. I use paper mulch, and I mix 250 lbs in my 600 gallon tank. Granted, paper mixes easier than wood, but I get very good results with paper, but as you can see, you can put 250 lbs in a 600 gallon jet agitation tank. I can mix in 15 minutes, and spray in 20.

alfman
06-01-2003, 12:26 PM
The Turbo Turf is a fine unit to get started with. It is a great machine to get started with but the more you do you will want for the bigger mechanical units. I started spraying 5 years ago witha turbo turf 300. It did its job and got me into the grassing business. I actually outgrew it 2 years ago but coupled a 600 gallon nurse tank to it so we could get a normal new lawn (12000 k average) in one trip. You will soon get tired of mixing (time and thickness of slurrys) and the capabilities of the machine. I now use a Bowie 800 for almost every job,but sometimes I will use the Turbo turf for small patch jobs or such. I can put 2 bales (80 lbs) of 70/30 (just be carefull and let it mix fully) and use tac and soap.
Hope this helps, Don

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Jet agitation tears up the seed . Mechanical doesn't

All the seed on either machine runs through a pump

Mechanical will mix thicker slurries - True

However someone who knows what do before its hydroseeded,
during hydroseeding , and follow up procedures after hydroseeding can get excellent results .

I would like a mechanical machine , but were getting excellent results from Hydro

Here is some we did with hydroseeding

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:27 PM
after

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:29 PM
more

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:31 PM
again

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
final

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:37 PM
another

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
again

Alan
06-01-2003, 07:56 PM
OK,, I fully understand that a mechanical agitation unit will mix a thicker slurry than a jet agitated machine will. But what does it take for a pump to deliver that slurry to the nozzle?

My homegrown seeder has an 8 hp, Honda, trash pump capable of handling solids greater than an inch in diameter. I'm delivering that to five nozzles in the tank, two 1 1/4"shooting up around the circumference of the tank, two 1 1/4" shooting downwards from each side of the fill opening, and a single 2" blowing the length of the tank.

My usual procedure is to put in 150 gallons of water, add fertilizer and tackifier, followed by 50-60 lbs of paper mulch. Let that mix, then add seed and, as soon as it is incorporated, top off the tank and close all but one set of jets (the ones shooting upwards) and start spraying.

I may have to close down the remaining jets partway to get adequate pressure to get a good spray but otherwise everything works fine.

BUT! If I go even a little bit past the 60 lb mark on mulch the pump quits pumping. With everything open it will still move material, but at a markedly lower rate. And as soon as I choke it down to get spray pressure it won't move material to the nozzle.

So, even though a mechanical machine will mix thicker, what do you have for a pump that will handle a thick slurry?

I'm not debating that the mechanical units will deliver the good, but what do they have for hardware to do it?

micromike
06-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Lawntec

Thank You!!! A picture(s) is truely worth a thousand words! Plus!

Mike

Lawn Tek
06-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Alan
OK,, But what does it take for a pump to deliver that slurry to the nozzle?

a high volume , high pressure pump

So, even though a mechanical machine will mix thicker, what do you have for a pump that will handle a thick slurry?

Mechanical units on some are gear pumps

I'm not debating that the mechanical units will deliver the good, but what do they have for hardware to do it?

[B]

A pump / motor assembly costing 3 to 7 grand

paul
06-01-2003, 09:27 PM
There are many different types of pumps that will move semi-solid material. most of the smaller ones are gear type. These are what Bowie, and Turfmaker use along with other companies. Centrifugal pumps like Finn are much larger diameter than a trash pump plus they spin faster and use much more HP.

Alan that is one reason my Finn can pump so fast, I'm not taking away any pressure to keep the slurry mixed.

turfquip
06-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Just to clarify something Paul said. Generally he is right but the TQ product line from TurfQuip uses centrifugal pumps and the fins inside the pump are cupped to minimize seed damage.

Every install I've ever done has grown in to sod quality or better. I say 'better' cause sometimes the turf can be too thick:p