PDA

View Full Version : Overbuilt trailer?

harpoonalt
05-28-2003, 07:38 PM
I need a new trailer and have settled on the size of 5 x 12. This size allows me room to grow a little and most importantly, fits in my garage which is a must in my neighborhood. Now the part that's driving me crazy. For $1033 I can get a single axle 5 x 12 with 15" wheels and #3500 axle or for $1600 i can get a tandem 5 x 12 with 15" wheels, brakes on one axle, and 2 #3500 axles. The tandem has a little bit beefier tongue as well. The trailer guy, believe it or not is steering me towards the single axle and said if I got the tandem, "you'd have the most overbuilt trailer in vermont". I haul a 48' Exmark TTHP, trim mower, and some trimmers on a trimmer trap. I haul mulch in the spring, Stone occasionally, and topsoil infrequently. I know that for most of my needs, the single axle would be fine, but I want input from you guys before I plunge. I like the safety factor of the tandem but is it really overkill? pluses and minuses for both these trailers? The web site is "Indian valley trailers" if you want to take a look. Thanks!

wriken
05-28-2003, 08:08 PM
I'd get the tandem, carry more and ride smoother, plus you have 1 axle brake.

Turf Technologies
05-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Thats pricey, for 1600 I got a 5x16 tandem wheel, brake on an axle and mesh siding.New tires.

harpoonalt
05-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Trust me, around here those prices are great. We get 5 X 10's for $1200....So disregarding price...opinions on the trailer?

longviewlawncare
05-28-2003, 08:29 PM
with the tandem you can carry a skid steer if you ever have the need. It will pull better, back up better and transfer wieght better. PLus for the money why not.

lawncare3
05-29-2003, 03:15 PM
That's a good price.

Around here a single axle 5X12 is $100 USED.

grassdaddy
05-29-2003, 03:33 PM
You need 6ft wide! I just went from 5x12 single to 6.5x16 tandom.It would pay you to drive plum to TN to buy a trailer.I bought 5x12 mesh floor,drop tailgate for 635.00.My 6.5 x 16 was 885.00,with wood floor and drop tailgate.

harpoonalt
05-29-2003, 05:26 PM
I would love a 6 foot wide, but my trailer has to be in the garage at night. A 5 foot after adding the width of the tires gives me about 9" each side to play with. A 6 footer would give me about 3" each side and is just too close. I've done it but there's not much room for error and at the end of the day when you're tired it would be real easy to misjudge. I'm only part time and a 5 x 12 would be perfect for me. Plenty of room for my mowing equipment and most importantly, more room and capacity for mulch, stone, and topsoil. My concern was that a tandem 5 x 12 would be too much overkill, But you guys have changed my mind. I ordered it today and it will be here in 3 weeks. Better to have too much trailer than not enough. Now I'll be able to really load on the mulch and get enough for a job in one load and hauling stone and topsoil won't be so nerve wracking like it is with my 5 x 8. If I want to rent a small tractor I'm all set and for my area it's not a bad price. I envy you southern guys who pick up trailers so cheap. No such deals up here. Our trailers are double if not triple the prices you get. The tandem should ride better and not bounce my stuff around so much, and just not worrying about a flat is worth the extra money. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully get some pictures. Thanks again.

HandEnterprises
05-29-2003, 11:21 PM
i would go with the tandem trailer. you cant add to a trailer, but you can leave open floor space. the only problem is a tandem is almost impossable to manuver by hand unlile a single axle

blafleur
05-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Good choice, you would have regretted the single axle if you carry stone or soil even periodically. I started that way, too, and the periodically went to usually. Overloading a single axle even once would make a bad day.

Bryan

lawncare3
05-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Please excuse my earlier post.

The real price for a 5x12 used is $1000

harpoonalt
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase and can't wait for its arrival. Pretty amazing that I can get a trailer cheaper delivered to vermont from texas than I can by shopping locally and get exactly what I want as well. My present trailer has caused me a few anxious moments. Loader operators, I swear, sometimes like to drop a load just to see what your trailer will do. My 5 x 8 has had 2700 lbs. of 3/4 stone, 3000 lbs of topsoil, and you sure do know it's back there. If I had had more than a couple of miles to go I would have shoveled some off for sure. I said my share of "Hail marys" on the way home. I hope to sell the trailer to someone who'll retire it to hauling around a 4 wheeler or something easy. It deserves a rest.