PDA

View Full Version : crabgrass control this late in season

greenman
05-28-2003, 11:07 PM
I just recently picked up an account. I have killed the broadleaf and ferted, but, I picked this account up just as the crabgrass was emerging. I know if I spray the crabgrass more will just germinate. What can I do to get rid of all the crabgrass and keeping it from coming back,,,,,other than waiting until next year for pre-emergent?

Enviro Green
05-28-2003, 11:27 PM
How far along is the crab? It has been cool and rainy here for the past month, soil temps are still in the upper 50's at three inches, and I am going to apply Dimension with some iron to some new lawns I have picked up this week. They have not had any applications this year, and I am thinking they need the additional weed control. If you get some post emergent activity and spray, what has not germinated should not germinate with the pre put down.

How does this sound to you guys?

EG

greenman
05-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I thought about that. Going ahead and putting down pre-emergent and post-emerging the crabgrass. didn't know if it would work. the crabgrass is still young, with 1 or 2, maybe 3 leafs. But the bare spots are mature plants.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Pre-em it and Drive 75 it now............While you can still keep control of it.

Once it gets hotter out, you wont beable to spray it.

greenman
05-28-2003, 11:53 PM
I am not familiar with Drive 75. MSMA should work just fine. Right? Mixed with 2,4-D if broadleafs are present?

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Drive or MSMA, but better results on first app with Drive.

Sure it costs more, but the end results are better.

With the drive just use Drive, to costly to spray anything else with it.

My findings the MSMA will need 2 apps and yellow it, but...If you have a Johnsons grass problem also the MSMA will be the better choice. Also mix liquid iron with both any of these products to counter any yellowing of the non target turf.

greenman
05-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks, LGF. Another reason why the MSMA is also there is some Dalis grass in this lawn as well. Will Drive control Dalis grass and Nutsedge?

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Stick with the MSMA for a cost affect, 1 herbicide to kill 4 types of tuff weeds to control. Make sure you use liquid iron with the apps, MSMA can yellow the turf also on dry warm/hot days.

Many people hate MSMA, but always read the label, it's not a 1 shot 100% killer, but nothing is. Learn how to use it, it will bring great results.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Dalisgrass

greenman
05-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Dang I hate Dallisgrass. I dont think pre-emergent will control it, I kill it every year with MSMA and it seems to re appear the next year.

mr.lawnzap
05-30-2003, 03:38 AM
go ahead and put down your pre-emergant, but since youve killed the broadleafs theres no need to use any 2-4-d (trimec is better) spot-treat the crabgrass and johnson grass with msma. to make sure the crabgrass and or johnson grass dont come back put pre-emergant in with your msma when spot treating. the reason for this is that the barrier from the pre-m will not form were active weeds are, so even though you may have blanketed the yard with pre-em those particular areas with active growth need there own little shot of pre-em as the weed dies to have maximum control. lgf is correct that it may take a couple of apps to control those grassy weeds with msma. good luck!

LAWNGODFATHER
05-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Wheeew big circle...

Why re-app pre-em if he is going to blanket the lawn with pre-em anyways?

Yeah Trimec may be better, but there are like 10 of them so which one?

Trimec is a brand name of different mixes of 2,4-D and other.

Heck he could use I think it is Trimec PLus and he is covered with the MSMA too.....

mr.lawnzap
05-30-2003, 07:37 PM
any one of the forms of trimec are better than just 2-4-d. trimec plus is overated, mix your own msma.

greenman
05-30-2003, 10:48 PM
I have already treated the broadleaf with Trimec, so I will not need that again. I was gonna put down the pre-m (I still have a bag left,0-0-7 Lesco) then spray the lawn with MSMA(I still have some left from last summer/fall that I really need to use,hope its still good). But two apps of pre-m?:confused: :dizzy:

LAWNGODFATHER
05-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey that 0-0-7 is good stuff........

Only one pre-em app.

Shoot it with MSMA also. Watch that temp though 80-85 will really turn that Burmuda lime green if not careful.

Use Ferromec AC 15-0-0 in it too.

greenman
05-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
to make sure the crabgrass and or johnson grass dont come back put pre-emergant in with your msma when spot treating. the reason for this is that the barrier from the pre-m will not form were active weeds are, so even though you may have blanketed the yard with pre-em those particular areas with active growth need there own little shot of pre-em as the weed dies to have maximum control.

Hmm, I kinda see your point, never really that about that,BUT I dont want 2 apps of pre-m. Anyway, I informed this client not to expect a decent to great looking lawn until this time next year. This lawn has really been neglected for at least 5 years or so. The lawn is common Bermuda. Needs alot of attention thats for sure.

mr.lawnzap
05-31-2003, 02:03 PM
i just realized your using granular pre-em, i use liquid, but im not saying put down two apps of pre-ems one blanket app of pre-em then spot spray as needed with msma and pre-em for control of those areas with active growth, that does not mean two blanket apps lgf. anyway since your using granular just put it down and spot spray the grassy weeds with msma not rocket science thats about all you can do. bermuda is easy to take care of contrary to what some of these guys think so you should be set. good luck

LAWNGODFATHER
06-01-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by mr.lawnzap
i just realized your using granular pre-em, i use liquid, but im not saying put down two apps of pre-ems one blanket app of pre-em then spot spray as needed with msma and pre-em for control of those areas with active growth, that does not mean two blanket apps lgf. Why bother spot spraying a pre-em on top of the blanket?

Talk about excessive chemicals.

mr.lawnzap
06-01-2003, 02:55 AM
you sure are dense lgf some one could tell you something 20 times and you still dont get it

LAWNGODFATHER
06-01-2003, 12:06 PM
I am not dense you must be. You keep saying even if spot spraying, you say to spray a pre-em, when you already have a pre-em application blanketed on the entire lawn, how is that dense, you tell me.

Why spray pre-em with the spot spray, you will have the theory control with the blanket pre-em?

mr.lawnzap
06-01-2003, 05:25 PM
using pre-em with the msma will allow additional control to those areas were the active growth is. its a safegaurd or insurance that those areas with active growth will not see additional weed problems later down the road. i do not advocate blanket app of this just meant to be used as spot spraying tool. use the example of weed control in beds, surflan/round-up mix, r/up kills the weed surflan prevents more weed germination in that small little area that it was applied to, using the same reasoning with the msma pre-em mix, its a better safe than sorry type thing, no doubt others may be contrary to this idea but it is very effective and it need not be wasteful as long as the applicator does not get carried away with it.

LawnMagic1
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Why spray a pre-m this late in the season anyway. Most of the crabgrass has begun to germinate anyway. Greenman..I just use MSMA + add a little extra surfactant (16oz/ 100 gallons H2O). Sure the lawns, whether bermuda or zoysia, turn yellow but I explain to my customers that this is normal and thier lawn will green back up in two to three weeks. Havent got any complaint yet...if fact some have called to tell me the herbicide is working.

LGF...have you read any research about liquid iron reducing the effectiveness of MSMA? Just curious.

greenman
06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Lawn Magic, if I kill the existing crabgrass, new will just pop up again,thats why the pre-emergent. Or am I incorrect?

BTW, I done this lawn today.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by LawnMagic1
LGF...have you read any research about liquid iron reducing the effectiveness of MSMA? Just curious. How could it reduce the effects of herbicides?

Herbicide kills.

Iron makes green.

In layman's terms.