PDA

View Full Version : bad reveiw for my new Dodge

CBB
05-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Just wanted to post for anyone looking at new trucks.

Bought a Dodge 1500 two months ago. I am a traveling sales rep that puts approx. 1000 miles/ week on it. Presently I am in a rental truck for the next week. Yesterday had pinon seal replaced because was showing a little leaking. Took all day, but under warranty. Today, the roaring sets in and rear end is shot. Got the first repair at the biggest dealer in the state in my hometown. But now I am 250 miles away, in another state with my truck at a dealer in a town of 3000 pop.

Dodge is covering my truck and rental, but will not let me pull my trailer with equipment. Which means I have a trailer full of stuff far away from home that I have to store somewhere. For me no trailer = down time and loss of money. Not happy at all and will be looking to trade trucks as soon as this one is out of the shop.

Sorry about the rambling, but want to help anyone out there looking.

Randy J
05-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Hey CBB sorry to hear about your problems with your truck. I think you should trade, for a 3/4 ton. Don't know how heavy your trailer is, but a 1/2 ton isn't made for pulling big loads continuously. You still shouldn't be having the problems you're having though. With those kind of problems on a 2 month old truck, maybe Dodge will work with you to buy the truck back. I personally prefer Dodge as I've had better luck with them than Ford or Chevy, but which ever brand you chose, I highly recommend a 3/4 ton.

Randy

ElephantNest
05-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Friends don't let friends drive Dodges.;)

Turf Technologies
05-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Do the Lemon laws apply yet?

Nebraska
05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Pull the trailer anyway....how are they going to know?

ffemt1271
05-31-2003, 11:53 PM
2500 DIESEL !!!!!!

CBB
06-02-2003, 08:59 PM
quick update on the Dodge. Called dealer today. Rebuilding the complete rear end. Will be picking it up tommorrow. Driving a Chevy from Enterprise that Chrysler is picking up the tab on. Confirmed that I want my Dodge back because, do not like this Chevy at all.

Have to say "hats off" to the folks for stepping to the plate and keeping me in a truck (even if another brand) all at their expense.

For towing comparisons. I pull a 16ft. open trailer with at most 2 ZTr's on it. At most the weight would be 2500 lbs. but put a lot of miles on it.

Grassmechanic
06-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Friend with F-350 had the same problem with rear axle.

Mike

lazer 46
06-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Just had a new tranny installed in my 2002 Chevy HD. Only 8000 miles. Under warranty but a big inconvenience as I pull my mowers. Wouldn't give me another truck to pull mowers, but believe it or not it rained all the time my truck was out of service. I am a firm believer that Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all junk.

Randy J
06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
I don't know that they're all junk, but you can sure get a lemon from any of the big 3. What luck though, to have it raining the whole time your truck is being worked on!

Randy

smburgess
06-03-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm sure you are, but I'll ask anyway: Are you pulling the trailer with the overdrive off?

brucec32
06-08-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Randy J
Hey CBB sorry to hear about your problems with your truck. I think you should trade, for a 3/4 ton. Don't know how heavy your trailer is, but a 1/2 ton isn't made for pulling big loads continuously. You still shouldn't be having the problems you're having though. With those kind of problems on a 2 month old truck, maybe Dodge will work with you to buy the truck back. I personally prefer Dodge as I've had better luck with them than Ford or Chevy, but which ever brand you chose, I highly recommend a 3/4 ton.

Randy

You have to be carefull to check what really is different in the various 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. Often it's not as big a difference as one might think. In the dodges, I believe that the engine/transmission in the stock 2500 and 1500 with the hemi engine are identical. So much for that problem. The rear end MIGHT be heavier, but I can't find any info on that. The dodge 1500 is rated up to maybe 8000 lbs. It should be able to tow that much, if you believe their marketing claims of millions of simulated miles at 95% of max load . You might wear some brake pads faster, but I've towed landscape trailers with light duty trucks, even an S10 at one point, and only once did I have a problem, and that was the overdrive gear on a dodge needing rebuilding under warranty. My brother's Ram did the same and he didn't tow at all, so I figure it was just the design.

If you're pushing up towards the max capacity, yeah, go for the HD, but unless you go for the diesel advantages (and costs) there isn't enough difference for many uses to outweigh the costs in dollars, ride quality, acceleration, braking, etc. (HD's brake and accelerate slower due to the weight)

As they've become more luxurious and liveable, HD trucks have become oversold I think. I would say maybe 10% of the ones I see here are carrying or towing anything other than a human being. They've become some sort of status symbol. I know a guy who uses a Chevy HD 1500 4x4 ($35,000) to commute to his job at a firehouse! Gotta keep up with the Joneses, I guess.

brucec32
06-08-2003, 12:59 AM
This reminds me. MY brother just had to SUE Dodge after his '98 Ram had transmission problems repeatedly and they would't fix it after it was over 36K. They settled and he got $5000 (new mopar transmission and rear end) plus they had to pay his $2500 attorney costs. He found a firm on the web that specializes in suing Dodge over these trannies, apparently.

That said, he is buying another Ram Hemi, and so am I. I just couldn't get excited about any of the other current trucks out there.

Brickman
06-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by lazer 46
I am a firm believer that Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all junk.

Not true. I have a 2000 F250 PSD with 153,000 hard miles on it. It still runs just as good as the day I drove it off the lot.

Brickman
06-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by smburgess
I'm sure you are, but I'll ask anyway: Are you pulling the trailer with the overdrive off?

That will/should blow the trans, not the rear end.

bmh1202
06-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I don't feel so bad now. I bought a '00 1500 and had the rear end blow apart. A spider gear broke and shattered the rear housing. It took almost 2 weeks to ger it repaired. This was only 8 dats after I bought it. Now the tranny is starting to slip. I'm looking really hard at an '03 2500. SWEET!!!!!!