PDA

View Full Version : App license and insurance rates?

gogetter
05-29-2003, 01:13 AM
I know I can call my insurance agent to get the answer, but I'm just getting some preliminary input before I do (won't be 'til next season anyway).

So...... when I get my applicators license next season and call my insurance agent, what kind of increase can I expect, if any?

Currently paying around $550 or so for 1 mill liability.

Thanks.

LawnMagic1
05-29-2003, 06:27 AM
Really all depends on the amount of GL insurance you get. I may be mistaken but insurance premiums for applicators have gone up this year in about every state. Just shop around you have plenty of time and MAKE sure whatever ins. company you use.....they will back the CLAIMS if you should ever have to use it.

Good luck!

greenman
05-29-2003, 09:18 AM
If any increase? Yes. It will definitely go up. $200,$300 more at least!(annual). Its worth it though. As far as license price, its $100 here, and have to renew every 3 years.

LawnMagic1
05-29-2003, 04:17 PM
Being an applicator is definately worth it. Of course that is all I do! I'm not to fond of the mowing and landscaping. This is just my guess....but you should be able to make around 50k in spraying your first year...maybe more since you have mowing accounts established.

Do you currently sub that work out? You could probally pick up some accounts from other lawn maintenance crews who aren't liceased.

Good Luck!

gogetter
05-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Lawnmagic, I don't sub it out. The customers that use a spray service now had them before they became my customers.

The other customers either do it themselves, or just don't do it at all. I'm certain however, that once I tell them I'm certified, many will give me that work.

I do plan to sub to other LCO's that aren't certified, and homeowners that cut thier own lawns as well.

Thanks again.

walker-talker
05-29-2003, 05:11 PM
For 1 mil GL it cost me $500, for an additional $500 they wrote pesticide into the policy. The state only requires something like $25K for property and $5K for medical coverage for pesticide, something I didn't know or find out until after I already had the other policy wrote. Something you might check into.

MATT

bobbygedd
05-30-2003, 07:14 AM
i think mine went up $250 when i added pest

Enviro Green
05-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Six to eight bills (100's that is) here in VA. That's 1,000,000 GL, 500,000 and 500,000 on personal and property. Over the minimums but when yo work with high end properties, you might need it. Also, you might think about becoming incorporated or at least a limited liability to cover yourself more. Chemicals can come with problems.

Good idea to get others who aren't licensed to work for you. It works OK.

Oh, and ALL I do is apps.

Best luck,

EG

Scraper
06-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Hey Jon,

I am with Nationwide and it didn't go up at all. Just added the necessary endorsement to my current policy.

G

gogetter
06-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Hey Glenn, I also have Nationwide.
I'll be sure to check with them as I get closer to that time.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

MacLawnCo
06-02-2003, 03:47 PM
for those of you who posted your increases, would you mind sharing which company you went through. I tried to add it this year but the only company who would write it, american family who already has everything for the business, was a $1000 increase.