PDA

View Full Version : Grass Identification

Enviro Green
05-29-2003, 11:43 AM
A new account has this grassy weed in his yard, and he calls it Johnson grass. However, I wouldn't have thought to see a seed head on Johnson grass this early in the year, and it did not have large rhizomes. Any ideas on what this grass may be?

Thanks!

Enviro Green
05-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Another pic

kickin sum grass
05-29-2003, 10:30 PM
is the base of the stem flat or round. Roll it in your finger to tell. One of the seed heads looked like goosegrass but some of the others did not, unless they are drying out and opening up. If the stem is flat it could be.

LAWNGODFATHER
05-29-2003, 11:48 PM
That's not Johnsons Grass, it would have a real wide blade with a red tint to the bottom of the base of each leaf.

www.weedalert.com

Can't find Johnsons grass on there, anyone know the other name for it?

Enviro Green
05-31-2003, 10:00 AM
The base of the stem is round. This thing is some type of a weedy colonizer, because it is coming up in areas he sprayed with Roundup early this spring and last winter.

I will check that website LGF. Thanks guys!

EG

kels
05-31-2003, 06:05 PM
looks like Poa Annua to me

grassguy_
05-31-2003, 09:17 PM
Annual Blue gets 2 votes! quite prevalent this time of year and especially is those areas were rounded-up last winter or early spring leaving nothing to compete with it.

Enviro Green
06-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Roger that Captain!

As I looked harder, I began to think annual bluegrass as well, but I didn't want to correct the homeowner at that point, due to the face he knew it was Johnson grass. Hmmm, what about control? Fertilization, aeration and over seeding?

Thanks!

EG