PDA

View Full Version : transplanting 2 inch Austrian Pines

Hamons
05-29-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a job that I am working up now that I would like some advice on. I will need to transplant (3) 2" Austrian Pines from the bed they are currently in about 200' to another bed. They were B and B plants planted last year.

2 questions:

What would you suggest as the most effective way to move these plants?

Any tricks to ensure that they survive beyond normal planting practices?

Rtom45
05-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Shouldn't be too difficult if they're in baskets and just planted last year. A shovel, some 3 ply twine and a tree cart should do. If you have access to a small tree spade, it's a piece of cake. A good operator could move all 3 in an hour. If you're going to move them now, make sure they get water right away. Maybe some wilt proof. And if the candles start to droop after the trees are replanted, cut them off.

fblandscape
05-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Once you get the trees into their new homes, apply mycorhizzae and a TGR. What you want to do when transplanting, or planting is get a root system established because as we all know, when you are digging a plant out of the ground, you are leaving behind a good amount of its root system. Also, when you do dig the trees, if you see any bad cuts on the roots, take your hand snips and clean those cuts up nicely. As we all know, a good cut makes it easier for the plant to compartmentalize an injury.
Don't put down any fertilizer when you put the trees in their new holes. N stimulates shoot growth. What you want to do is stimulate root growth.

AGLA
05-30-2003, 05:34 AM
Do not guaranty survival of these. It is a higher risk transplant.

Transplanting Austrians is very difficult because the tree usually has a pretty poor root ball coming from the nursery as they do not have a local dense fibrous root system. Now you have to lift them out of a hole after the ball has been untied. Chances are very good that the tree will be flopping around in its ball by the time you get it to the next hole even if it is in a wire basket.

Hamons
05-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice we are all right about on the same page. I plan on digging up the trees -- moving them to their new location and planting them while also using Roots Transplant 1.

http://www.rootsinc.com/newlandscape/images/1-step_bucket.jpg

Has anyone ever used this product before? I've had good luck with M-roots on new flower beds but wondered about this product. I am going to set up a research plot next week using M-Roots. Fertilome Start-n'-Grow, Lesco 14-14-14 Landscapers Mix, and just compost to see which plants do best. Each plot will start with identical impatiens, daylillies, and Little Princess Spirea so that I can see effects on annuals, perennials and shrubs. I will measure growth and health this summer and survival for the next season.

As all of us do, I do a lot of planting and I want to find the product that gives my customers the highest quality plants possible.

What do you think the results will show? Maybe I should start thread here and document their growth weekly? That way we could all learn from it.