PDA

View Full Version : If you had to do it over again?

River Hill
05-30-2003, 08:04 AM
If you were just starting out in the applications business all over again, what equipment would you purchase from the start? Would you buy one of the ride-on spreaders, that spray liquid and granular or would you go with a 200 gallon tank system? Or mabye even a liquid ride-on only machine? If so what brands of equipment are good and what would you stay away from. Can you get by with doing all liquid applications? I have seen some companies that I swear have never used granular, is this the best and most cost effective way to go? My brother is thinking of starting a applications business in VA, so I am trying to gather some information for him.

Basicly what I am asking is if you were to start from scratch and already had a 2000 F350 what would you buy to be the most profitable company you could be. I will be investing some of my money and don't want to make a mistake.

Grassmechanic
05-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Pesticide applicators license, 200 gal skid mount sprayer, walk behind spreader should get you started. I like Hypro pumps - easy to maintain/repair.

Mike

walker-talker
05-30-2003, 10:41 AM
This is my first year in the app business and this is what I started with, Lesco 200 gallon space saver sprayer and Lesco spreader.

MATT

Grassmechanic
05-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Matt - sounds like your good to go.

Mike

Enviro Green
05-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Seems like perhaps the best equipment depends on his program and what he plans to do, size of lawns, amount of N, herbicide applications, etc. Everyone can use different things and make them work for their own program, I have worked with two different programs, one with high$$ equipment, high cost, and huge client base and one with small equipment. Both were profitable and both gave good results, was one better than the other, only an opinion.

Best luck to your brother,

EG

TOMMY1115
06-02-2003, 05:35 PM
what's a pesticide applicators license??? You need that to spray??

HAHAHA!! Just kidding... Can't believe the number of people that have no clue about that!!

Tom

LawnMagic1
06-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Brians...I have a 150 gallon AG-SPRAY sprayer, 400' hose, hypro 6500 roller pump(easy maintenance), and a 6.5 hp Briggs all mounted to a 5'x10' trailer so I can unhook and store my spray equipment out of the weather. Plus, you dont get chemical in the truck bed and it's easy for me to clean my equipment. I have attached a picture for you. My advice to you is to start small....make sure like the spraying business before you invest thousands. My set up only cost 2K including the trailer. Good Luck!