PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing new lawns?

lasher66
05-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I just got done building a new house and have had a new lawn seeded about a month ago. It looks like it was seeded, then they sprayed the moss over the top of it. Anyways, after it started to sprout up I put 12-12-12 on it. It then turned real green and started growing faster than all the neighbors. Now someone told me that the first 2 months I should be putting 12-12-12 down every two weeks. I just wanted to know if this was ok to do? The bag says 3 times a year. Can someone please let me know the best fertilizer to put down and how often. Thanks

Lasher

timturf
05-30-2003, 12:49 PM
get a soil test!!!!!!

going to get hot and 2/ of n should be applied in fall.

How about lbs/1000 of uf 38-0-0, which = @1 n, which 68% will be slow release. Adjust ph, p2o5, k, ca and mg according to soil test recommendations.

Get a accurate measurement of lawn size.
Now weed killer until 3rd mowing.

Sometime in aug, depending on fert choosen, you can push yard hard to create a dense turf

fblandscape
05-30-2003, 03:13 PM
What I was taught is that in the absence of a soil test you:

Put down a 1-2-1 fertilizer at the time of establishment at a rate of 1# of N / M

Once the seedlings start to emerge you put down the 1-2-1 fertilizer again, but at a rate of 1/2# of N / M

That's all she wrote till the fall.

lasher66
05-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Do I have to hire someone to get a soil test, or is there something I can buy?

Lasher

Enviro Green
05-31-2003, 11:10 PM
Want a trade secret and you are in Ohio?

Go here:

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/

Or, go to your extension office if you are cheap and want to wait six weeks for mediocre results.

Soil test everything. Period.

That's it. No wait, I will come and soil test for you for the right price....I will be up your way in late June and I can pull your samples, box then, AND give you results and recommendations...

EG