PDA

View Full Version : Retirement...Someday

Darwin
05-31-2003, 01:01 AM
Let me hear your feedback on retirement programs for yourselves.

Since I happen to be self-employed this happens to be a very important concern in my life.

I contribute my max amount in Roth every year, but I'm curious as to what you folks are doing.

Thanks for the info.

Duane

Albemarle Lawn
05-31-2003, 01:03 AM
Yep. The white trash retirement plan - LOTTO!!!:confused: :dizzy: :cry:

Tbarchaser
05-31-2003, 01:22 AM
I figure in 35 years I will have 12.6 million pounds of worn edger blades, mower blades. Sell those puppys for scrap and I will have it made. :D

Darwin
05-31-2003, 01:27 AM
Yea, you both have hit the nail on the head.

I was just kiddin' bout the Roth funds.

I am soooooo looking forward to bagging groceries to "make-ends-meat" when I'm 60.

Rustic Goat
05-31-2003, 05:55 AM
It's sort of a peculiar word is't it.
Re tire
Sounds like it means getting tired again, no thanks. What am I going to do, mow my own lawn. Lord willing, and if good health remains my friend, I'll just be found one day on my mower going round in circles.
Well, maybe by then I'll be sending out crews and fussing about equipment maintenance. I enjoy what I do too much to walk away from it. Slow down yes (someday), retire no, as long as I can tell the difference between the turf and the flower beds.

Firefighter Dave
05-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Just remember some money, even if it's a little bit for retirement will go a long way. In my line of work I see many seniors without insurance or retirment money coming in. They can't afford to eat let alone buy needed medications that Social Security won't provide.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

mtdman
06-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Retirement is nothing to joke about. I have $$ in an IRA from a former 401k from another job. Just a little, but it will grow. I also just started to contribute to a Roth IRA, which is the best thing going. Even $500 a year is going to grow and be there for you, tax free, when you retire. Many banks have Roth plans if you don't feel like going the broker route, and even 4-5% a year growth is better than nothing. Don't rely on Social Security, put money away for yourself now. Getting old ain't cheap.

mowerman90
06-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Ah yes, retirement. When I retire I'm only doing 3 lawns per day. LOL

Darwin
06-06-2003, 11:17 PM
MTD, Dave, thanks for the response.

I'm glad to think that I'm not the only person out there thinking about retirement.

Green Goblin
06-07-2003, 11:25 PM
you can contribule less earlier and be better off than contributing more later. get a retirement account set up with someone. put as litttle away or as much as possible. it all adds up.

Darryl G
06-08-2003, 12:21 AM
My wife and I both have 401ks and rollover IRAs from former employers, but they don't really amount to much. We don't currently contribute to any retirement plans.

The bulk of our investments are in real estate (land), which is appreciating at a phenomenal rate in our area.

dmk395
06-08-2003, 10:08 AM
Rental properties