PDA

View Full Version : the most lawns a 2man crew an handle

Jmc Lawn care
05-31-2003, 04:47 AM
just wondering..

whats the most lawns (reg. size houses front/back) a 2man crew can handle in 1 day? ( 100degreees outside)

any help apreciated (from personal experiences only)

KenH
05-31-2003, 06:16 AM
A few years ago, when I was young and stupid, 2 of us did 32 lawns in a day...ranging from 8K to 18K sq/ft, all within 8 miles. That was when I did 120 weekly. Now I do 40 a week, make more money, and am alot happier.

reneekrause
05-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, that also depends on what my husband calls the daily bull, if your equipment is sound, your help is on time and doesn't have to be in early for some appointment, they can get 15-21 done in a day, provided there is also not a lot of travel time between accounts.:D

goodbeus
05-31-2003, 05:23 PM
15-21...ha...I do that by myself...If that's all a 2 man crew is doing, time to find new guys...:blob4:

TurfGuyTX
05-31-2003, 05:33 PM
There are too many factors to give a solid estimate on how many 2 could get done. I would say account density would be the biggest factor. Travel time between lawns can kill you. If you have several on the same street, that will obviously take less time than the same amount spread about town. Good luck. Check out "Network with people from your area" part of this site. What areas do you primarily take care of?

reneekrause
06-01-2003, 02:50 PM
well goodbeus I am glad that you have the will and stamina to work that many by yourself, but how many hours in your day? I guess I should have been more specific that our 2 man crew does that in 5-6 hrs per day with travel time. With bull, like specified of equipment breakdown, vehicle breakdown and human breakdown it can develop into longer hours.

goodbeus
06-02-2003, 06:19 AM
5-6 hours a day is not a day...that's half a day or an early day...quiting time at 12:00 - 1:00 pm, starting at 7:00 am...but 15-21 in that time period still isn't bad :p

Jmc Lawn care
06-03-2003, 04:25 PM
what im tryin 2 figure out is how much work 2 man crew should do in a week while doin the most lawn we can and making as much money as possible. in 100 degree weather.. lets say we have 2 lawnmowers & 2 weedeaters.we gettin tired, hot, sweaty, sore, stressed, etc. etc. to not be able to handle other waiting client needing thiers done cuz of this, ive lost like 4 reg. weekly clients already. also ive lost 4 more customers that called and i scheduled them for 2 days later.. then they ended up canceling and havent called back yet (this was like a week ago) anyways if anyone here has/had a helper and what average do/did yall do in a week keeping in mind that your trying 2 make as much as possible.(in 100 degree weather from 9am to 6 pm w/no a/c in the truck.just mowing front/back & us both edging reg size houses)

thanx 4 feedback

preciate any advice from ppl dat know wut talkin about

Jmc Lawn care
06-03-2003, 04:32 PM
we aint worried about travel time just yet... were startin out close 2 home first. we primariy do ours on northside of ft worth. wheres areas u take care of?

peace

TurfGuyTX
06-03-2003, 05:57 PM
We do lawns in Fort Worth, Arlington, HEB, Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Colleyville , Wautaga and parts of Roanoke. That's why I commented on the travel time. We certainly drive alot. Good luck.

LA LAWNS
06-03-2003, 06:50 PM
My helper and I can knock out 15 to 20 a day. If your 2 guys are at a regular job more than 30 minutes(avg.) each, somethings wrong. Look into efficiency of unloading and loading mowers, proper mower size (bigger is better), and a walk behind for the back yard. My helper will edge and weedeat, I mow and blow. If the trimming is heavier, I will edge instead of him. Finish at the same time. 30 min tops for reg lawns...15 to 20 min is better...
LA LAWNS:D

Katwalk
06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jmc Lawn care
[B]what im tryin 2 figure out is how much work 2 man crew should do in a week while doin the most lawn we can and making as much money as possible
thanx 4 feedback

What im gonna tell ya is that if ya don't know how much money ya need to make it don't give a damn how many ya cut. My goal is to cut one lawn a week for about $2777 per cut. We work about 36 weeks here so that would bring me around $100k. How much ya wanna make??? 40 stops @$30=$1200.... 30 stops @$40=1200 Makes sense right......makes sense only if it is the same amount of turf that you are cutting. We cut 35 accounts in 2 1/2 days.....approx 550,000 square feet of turf. I know because I have measured every lawn. We work in an area that has a 2 acre minimum lot size for every house.....exclusive. We average approx. 15k sq. ft. lawns. If we averaged 7.5k lawns we quickly jump to 70 accounts. Every lawn brings at least $37.50 per man hour and some up to $60 per man hour. Lots of people ask "How many lawns do you do??" My answer is 550,000sq. ft. of turf or approx. 13 acres of turf. Quantity vs.Quality....sorry to ramble..Good luck

mtdman
06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
When I had a partner, we averaged 20 a day, in about 7-8 hrs. Once we did 35 in 10 hours. Now that I am alone, I can do about 15 a day in 8-9 hours. The key is to keep them together, don't do a lot of driving, and don't take lawns that you can't handle. Fenced in back yards is my bane. I hate 'em.

:D

IndyPropertyCare
06-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Sounds like alot of 1man residential mowers on this reply. We as a multi-person commercial & residential company figure 1acre is equal to 1hour. This includes unload/load/cut/trim & blow if needed. This is about the best advice for figuring how long & how much to charge. Hope this helps you 1 man operations out. L8R

Green Goblin
06-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Katwalk has it right. I could do 100 20 sqft. lawns a day for 5 bucks and mean nothing or have 1 $555 dollar lawn and be ahead.

mtdman
06-08-2003, 11:42 AM
The problem with that philosophy is, that one large lawn quits, you are out a whole lot of money at once. I'd rather do many lawns for less, therefore lessening the financial impact if one or two of them quit. And you can always replace the smaller lawns easier than the larger or commercial lawns in the middle of a season.

Green Goblin
06-08-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm just saying that the number of lawns you do a day doesn't mean anything. Its more the value of lawns you do or the sq ft of lawns a day subtracting drive time.

mtdman
06-09-2003, 01:50 AM
I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out the square footage of lawns I do. I know that my average customer is $20 a pop. If I do 15 a day, that's $300. If I do 5 lawns a day at $60, that's $300, too. But if 2 of those $60 lawns quit, it'll hurt a lot more than 2 $20 lawns, and I can replace the $20 lawns quicker, too. I'd rather not stick all my eggs in one basket, but spread them around. That's why I stick to smaller accounts, and don't bid on lawns that are bigger than I can handle.

Not to mention I get frustrated with the bigger lawns, and more can happen with a larger lawn to set you back, timewise. Smaller yards means quicker cuts. And if you group your lawns together in neighborhoods, and try to stick to those neighborhoods to gain new customers, you can reduce your drivetime and you become known in those neighborhoods as well.

But that's how I work, and it works well for me.

Katwalk
06-10-2003, 06:52 PM
:D Mtdmaster, You say "I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out square footage of lawns I do." Honestly, or are you messing with us??? Well, just to help, square footage if length times width. Why would two of those $60 lawns quit?? For us the only reason I can think is if someone is moving or loses their job. If you have a bunch of $20 lawns you need to maintain them at a superior level then the other $20 guy and get them to $25 and $30 accounts. {Quote} Not to mention, I get frustrated with the bigger lawns and more can happen with a larger lawn to set you back, timewise. Like what??? The mower can die on smaller lawns too. The line trimmer can run out of string anywhere. Gas stations are just as far away. Again, we work in an exclusive area where lot sizes are larger, therefore we must maintain larger properties. I would still recommend trying to raise the price on the customers you have. $300 a day for an owner/operator really is not that great. You deserve more. :cool:

mtdman
06-11-2003, 12:07 AM
I know how to calculate area. What I meant is, I don't pay attention to that stuff. I don't need to. I base my rates on much more than simple square footage, and after years in my business, I can produce an estimate without measuring the size of people's lots.

Most of my lawns are city size lots, and I don't go out to the bigger areas. My business and my equipment is geared toward smaller lawns, which I prefer. I don't like doing bigger lawns. If I need to do a second cut, or blow excessive clippings, whatever, with a bigger lawn it takes longer. I like to get in, get out. I like to feel that I am moving through my route, like I'm getting something done, or else I get frustrated. That's me, that's what I prefer.

Why do people quit? There are lots of reasons. People move, decide to do their own, get their kid to do it, turn into pita customers, fail to pay their bills, whateva. Happens all the time. Usually customers come and go through the season, just the nature of the business. If I have 5 larger lawns, and some of those quit, it is harder in my area to find replacements for those. But I have a list of names of people that want me to mow their lawns if spaces open up, of the smaller variety. It's easier to replace the smaller lawns in my area, in a city filled with lawns and people wanting someone to mow.

And who says I don't maintain them at superior levels at $20? Did you ever stop to think that perhaps that is the price that my market bears? You can't get $30 for a lawn that takes 20 minutes around here. I do a damned fine job, and retain 99% of my customers each year, with a very high satisfaction rate. I also have plenty of extra services and secondary work that I sell, along with a package program and a season prepay program that makes me plenty of money.

I don't do huge lawns. I do small residentials that I can crank out 15 a day by myself. It works well for me, I have a demand greater than I can supply, and have been in business for 7 years. I'd rather stick to many smaller lawns which will impact me less if I lose a few as the season progresses than fewer larger lawns that will hurt me if a few drop. Seems like simple math to me.

You do larger lawns and make money at it, great. Not everyone works in the same conditions throughout the country, and many of us operate vastly different companies. It is interesting to me to see how other companies operate compared to mine. My only point was having your income spread out over many accounts allows you to deflect the affects of losing clients throughout the season. If you don't agree, that's your prerogative. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

And please don't tell me how poorly I am doing. I am doing just fine, thank you.

Jmc Lawn care
06-11-2003, 05:17 AM
thanx

Jmc Lawn care
06-11-2003, 05:52 AM
what are sum fast andásy ways ppl get clients besides signs and fliers?
i know theres gota be more...

thanx 4 any help

mrusk
06-11-2003, 09:34 AM
How much money can each 2 man crew generate for a year. I want to become a big landscaping/mowing company one day and i am just wondering how many crews i will need to bring in the $$ i want.

matt

reneekrause
06-11-2003, 06:39 PM
:D Way to Go!!! I love your outlook my husband has been doing this by himself for 9 years, due to the increase in accounts and physical wear & tear we started hiring last year. There is another story competent help, but we have a few larger accounts, a couple of commercial and the rest a residential lawns. We have done pretty well at that and would be happy continuing but he wants to retire can't do that grossing only 40K a year.

Green Goblin
06-11-2003, 07:27 PM
How long is your work day?

mtdman
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by reneekrause
:D Way to Go!!! I love your outlook my husband has been doing this by himself for 9 years, due to the increase in accounts and physical wear & tear we started hiring last year. There is another story competent help, but we have a few larger accounts, a couple of commercial and the rest a residential lawns. We have done pretty well at that and would be happy continuing but he wants to retire can't do that grossing only 40K a year.

Thanks! I think the key to being successful and staying in business for a while is learning your niche, understanding what you want to do and can do, and sticking to it. Mine is residential lawns, and I'm happy doing them and making money at it as well. I have a few larger lawns, a few smaller lawns, but mostly I stick to the residentials that I can do in 30-45 minutes. The larger lawns go for more than $20, but I don't have more than 4 or 5 that take me an hour to do. I'd like to work my average price up, which I've been doing over the years, and any new estimates I give are at least $25 now. Honestly, most of my customers just want me to cut their lawn so they don't have to worry about it, and are pretty low key. I like it.

I think that if this site teaches us anything, it's that there are MANY MANY different types of lawn care organizations around the country, and many many ways to do business. That's why I come here, to hear about the ways other guys do the job. It's interesting for me to hear about how the guys do big lawns and large commercial stuff, how people run crews and make it work. If someone doesn't do things my way, but can make a profit, great. But I'm not afraid to talk about my way, either.

Other lawn care companies around here in my town tend to get really competitive and aren't very friendly towards other companies. I don't get that. There is plenty of work to go around my area, and no matter how hard someone tried they couldn't mow every lawn in the county. I'm all about being open and friendly and sharing info. If it helps someone else to make a buck, that's great. I've got mine, and I'm not afraid of other companies taking my business. I've got a good rep, lots of demand, and making money. Why be a dick to others? Making friends in the business and networking can only help you in the long run.

As far as retiring goes, I sock as much away as I can every year. I don't plan to do this forever, but I know getting old costs $$.

I work about 9 to 10 hours a day, when it's not raining.

reneekrause
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
I hear you, when we first started this business it was literally by the seat of our pants but my husband was in custom cabintry and the market was non existant we always loved being outside and gardening and living in Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida gives up enough work to keep over 9000 companies in the Bay Area in business.

We used to put in 12 hr days to start, but my husband is really organized and has over the years implemented systems so it can almost be done blind folded. We used to try and "network" to get some advice, but it was like you were asking for their credit card, wallet or something,

We try to help out anyone who asks for advice. If the people involved in the Green industry would come together like in so many other businesses you could actually standardize the whole when it comes to pricing, etc.

You have some people who are tight wads and others who will pay the price to have it done right! We charge 25-40 per cut sometimes less if it is just a front yard. Trying now to up the "bar." We will increase our customers everyother year $5-10 dollars per monthly service amount.

My husband now puts in approx 6-7 hrs per day servicing accounts, but he will also put in on the average 3 hrs shop time every day. He has a maintenace program that is 100% more than what is recommended thus affording our equipment a longer life span.

Like I said previously we waited to hire help and should have done so sooner. We have learned valuable lessons when it comes to hiring people. We haven't been able to find anyone so far who is as dedicated as he is though. Which brings up a new thought but totally off the subject actually.

I like reading about how people handle their business and it is comforting in a way to know that without any help from experts or paying hi fees for seminars we have done pretty well for ourselves. As I said my husband wants out of the mowing end and get into the managing end but payroll is costly!!

Would love to hear from people who have employees and how they take care of them, if they have manuals for like safety, How to...

It would also be nice to see my husband home in front of the TV or getting ready to go fishing, etc than to see him on equipment or under it. He has worked really hard for the past 10 years we have just entered our 11th year.

jeff_0
06-12-2003, 09:05 PM
this is my second year in business. have about 30 accts 1/2 of them are a acre or more... if i'm out working by myself in a day i bring in somewhere around $400... If someone is helping me it's more around $600. a day for me is 10 hrs.

DFW Area Landscaper
10-10-2003, 10:04 PM
When I run a two man crew, I gross about $580 to $630 in 10 to 11 hours. I know, I know. I'm not charging enough.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

tiedeman
10-10-2003, 11:56 PM
there are too many factors to consider...like edging, bagging, landscaping beds, trees, etc.

MGMII
10-11-2003, 03:14 AM
too many deciding factors, size of yard, travel time, equipment, etc.... For our 2 man crew, anywhere from 17-31 per day in 8 hr. day. 31 is all in one subdivison, 17 is spread out and larger lawns.

DennisF
10-12-2003, 09:47 PM
The number of accounts serviced is really not important. The amount of revenue produced per hour that will make or break the business. JMO.

gramps
10-13-2003, 04:35 PM
If I cut two and get thee hundered each and then lose one I still equal your three hundred. Allso how long could two take. And i would use very little gasoline.:confused:

mtdman
10-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Wow, what an old thread.

I still think I would rather have many smaller lawns than a few larger ones. Every year people come and go, and I usually end up with less at the end of the year than when I start. Either by my choice or theirs. If I lose a couple, it doesn't affect me as much at lower price/account as it does if the price/account is larger. That lower ratio isn't something I come by by charging too little, it's because the lawns are smaller.

Trumping all that though is the theory I have been trying to implement to work smarter not harder. Higher rates, smarter billing, targeting services for slower parts of the year so I make more $$ more evenly throughout the year. I get tired of jamming a high volume of lawns all year to be burned out at the end. I'd rather have a nice, manageable work load during the season and find a way to garner more work during the spring and fall when I have been traditionally slower.

mtdman
10-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by gramps
If I cut two and get thee hundered each and then lose one I still equal your three hundred. Allso how long could two take. And i would use very little gasoline.:confused:

Yeah, but you're still out $300. If I loose one at $25-$30, I'm out 10% of what you lost. Or 1 out of 15 lawns I can do in a day, which comes to 7% of my daily income. You are out 50% of your daily income. If I do 15 a day 5 days a week, and I lose 1 customer, I lose 1.3% of my workload. If you do 2 a day 5 days a week, you are out 10% of your workload. Big difference.

And if my schedule is compact and divided by neighborhoods, I have very little driving to do between accounts.

gramps
10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
That's all true. But I'm out spraying weeds 0r mabey just buying some Gasoline. Or just maybe I'm putting some bondo on my rusty truck. And i still made three hundred bucks.

gramps
10-14-2003, 09:33 AM
i JUST GOT A CALL i LOST BOTH TODAY. nOW i HAVE A DAY OFF.