PDA

View Full Version : What would you use to cut this?

gr8pyrs
05-31-2003, 09:36 AM
Ok….

The main question is what would you use if you had to mow this?

I’m currently looking to upgrade my equipment to mow the 3.5 acs. of what can best be described as slopped wooded terrain. (see photo)

Some conditions do exist that will make a difference.
We are located at the bottom of the slop so to speak and most of the water run-off winds up in our property thus creating some soft spots. That said I cut now at twice per week (spring) and in the summer down to once per week.
At times I do need to mow when the lawn is not as “dry” as I would like it so I am torn between gear or hydro drives..

I am not adverse to walking but would like the options to be “carried” .

I definitely would like to move to a commercial grade product with a 48” cut.

You input and recommendations will be appreciated.

Green Pastures
05-31-2003, 10:41 AM
I'd use a Walker, raise the deck up and keep the blades sharp.

I think an Exmark W/B would be a wise choice as well. Hydro drive and the biggest motor you can get. http://www.exmark.com/TurfTracer.htm

That lawn looks yellow from being cut to short and having dull blades. Maybe it's just the camera.

gr8pyrs
05-31-2003, 10:45 AM
Scott,

Thanks for the response.
The yellow is from the lack of sun here lately.

I usually cut at 3" and religiously sharpen the blades ever 5th cut.
However with all the ran and shade....

Russ

Green Pastures
05-31-2003, 10:48 AM
Put some "Ironite" down, I put some of that on my own lawn and it's as green as if you painted each individual blade of grass.

Did not get alot of top growth from it either.

Clay
05-31-2003, 10:58 AM
That would be perfect for an Exmark or Hustler hydro walk behind with a Proslide (proslide is a stand on sliding sulky that has auto retract when you step off and makes great stripes)

A quick suggestion on the iron additive... I also use to use ironite, but switched to Super Iron by Best fertilizer company as it has as much iron but mixed in a 9-9-9 configuration for faster uptake and you still don't get a flush of growth with that low of nitrogen...

Also use a Ferromec Ac in liquid iron form for "instant geen", but if you don't have spray equipment this would not be an option...

Looks nice... let us know what you end up with...

Good Luck, Clay

gr8pyrs
06-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Scott & Clay,

Thanks for the input.

I will look into both mfgs. since I have found dealers locally that handle them.

I see a demo is on the horizon......

Russ :D

Green in Idaho
06-08-2003, 01:54 AM
3.5 acres for a homeowner... probably have a long drive way? maybe a garden? Lots of leaves?/

I would go for the traditional lawn tractor. John Deere or Snapper would be my first looks. Go for less weight to avoid ruts due to heavy rain areas.

The additional attachments make the tractor an economical route.

OR better yet hire someone to do it for you. :cool:

gr8pyrs
06-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Green in Idaho

You have a point. That 3.5 ac is only the grass part. The other 3 ac is well forested so to speak.

As far as a garden tractor, to tell the truth I already have one. A solid 25 yr old 8123 Gravely.
What I have found over the 20 some odd years that we have lived here is that it took me more time to cut riding than it does walking. I’m now using a 33” cut mower but not of commercial grade. There are more trees on the property than the photo does justice for and twisting and turning that tractor around all those trees adds a lot of time to the job.

Passing the half century mark I am in search of my “last” mower. I hope.

As far as attachments and other stuff to get the job done here, over the years the equipment “collection” has grown in fact I’m going to have to have a garage sale to make room for what ever new piece I decide on.

As far as having someone else do it…. Gees what fun would that be.

Russ
:D

rkk95
06-14-2003, 01:56 PM
How about a Great Dane surfer? A little more money, but much faster and easier.

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Your tractor is 25 yrs old and you are looking to buy your LAST mower but are not considering that tractor dying in the near future???? How about a Dixon ZTR or a Snapper ZTR for estate properties?

If price is not a factor I would buy a 48" Walker rider. It also has attachment capability for snow, thatching, fertilizing, etc. It's definitely commerical grade in the bigger sizes. It's comfortable for a senior to sit on. It's NICE to show the neighbors. It bags or discharges. It picks up leaves like a Hoover... It's perfect for a large property!

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 02:49 PM
http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1

gr8pyrs
06-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Green in Idaho

I know sounds like the tractor should be on its last leg. But Gravely built some "tanks" so to speak back then. I hear that they no longer make 4 wheel tractors.

I've done religious maintenance on it and it still does well for me.

I don't mow much with it any longer, I've gone to a walk behind which, while more work, takes less time. It however is a getting a work out (not commercial grade equipment). It is a mulching unit and I have become quite fond of that feature. I’ve raked very little leaves in the past 6 years and I get a good deal.

The slope and the ground springs on the property are a factor. The fence in the photo gives you an idea of the slope I’m dealing with and it is pretty constant. I’ve always had to “counter balance” the tractor when I used to use it to cut. Also, the tractors weight was an issue in the spring and fall when the ground springs turn sections of the property into “soft” areas.

Any way that’s why I’m leaning toward a ZTR mini (if the weight is not too bad) or a walk behind in a 48” cut with a velky or sulky. I looked at some of the stand on units too. But with all the trees and low limbs, I think I might wind up on the ground more often than on the unit.

Your input is appreciated and the Walker looks like a great machine. I’m not sure though how well it would work for me given the conditions here.

Russ

wissel_landscaping
06-28-2003, 10:06 AM
The walker would be my pick, a twin stick (ztr) when going down the hill to make a right hand turn will spin its wheels and slide and chances are you will be stuck against the fence if not carefull
the ztr's are alot heavier than a walker i think a walker is around 700lb and a scag turf tiger 61" is like 1,300lb. i have used walker mowers for the past 7 years you can go down a hill stop half way down and turn around and go back up without sliding. also if for some reason you have to bail out the walker is much easier to bail from than a twin stick ztr...lol all the mowers are nice and cut well i have 2 scag tigers, a scag tiger cub and a cub cadet tank and 2 walkers had 4 (sold 2 of them) out of all my mowers the walkers are by far the best then my cub cadet tank and the scags last.