PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Customer

CherryHill
05-31-2003, 10:27 PM
I am new to the business and have a customer that is more than difficult. I am a day and half into the job and I know there is nothing I can do to that she won't complain about or express disatisfaction, or change her mind on. There is only a half day of work or so left, but I am really considering just up leaving the job as is and collect no money for a lot of quality work that has been completed. This sounds crazy, but she's not worth the headache.

I have no written contract, just an estimate - other than leaving money on the table, is there anything I should worry about? I am not worried about getting a bad name as I have since learned that this woman has a reputation in the neighborhood for being ridiculous.

Any insights are appreciated.

Green in Idaho
05-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Are you working for my ex-wife?????

For only one more day you can tolerate her or you can communicate the issue to her. At least that's what my therapist told me....

Really, you need to let her know the problem. Then you will be able to finish the job, get paid, and avoid future problems.

"Maam, you are making this job really difficult by complaining about everything. Please let me finish it and then we can talk about it otherwise I can't finish it and I will have to leave now."

gilllawnservice
06-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Give all the money back, and let her know that she is unreasonable, can't be satisfied, and you would feel better if you parted way now.

For every customer like this, you will find 10 that will be happy.

Customers like these are not worth the effort since regardless what you do you cannot please them.

It's also a waste of manpower.

Good Luck

Gill Lawn Service

Navig8r
06-01-2003, 01:54 PM
DO NOT GIVE IN TO SOMEONE LIKE THIS!!

In my full-time job, I have dealt with MANY people like this..... they often (MOST!!!) back down when confronted....... problem is most people are afraid to make the problem worse, so they let the individual go on about their tirades, and try to appease him/her.
This just encourages their behavior.... DONT DO IT!.... for your sake and for the sake of others who may have to deal with her in the future.
You know that you're delivering quality work that is in accordance with what was discussed and agreed upon with the customer..... do not allow yourself to be walked on by someone who is unreasonable............ Take photos of your work, and if possible have someone else see the work when it's complete.

As Green In Idaho stated.... firmly tell her what's going on... then finish your work!, and get paid for it.

Also...... leave on a pleasant note with her if at all possible....... save the "I won't work for you ever again" conversation for if/when she calls you in the future.

Oh yeah..... get some Peltor Worktunes.... they block out "annoying" noise while providing music to work to !:D

fblandscape
06-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I think I worked for the same woman! :p

This is how I would suggest handling the situation; forget about the money, purchase a couple cinder blocks and some rope. Take customer, rope, and cinder blocks to a local bridge and toss said items off the bridge together (woman tied to blocks).

Unfortunately in my situation I was not able to handle it that way. I simply wound up doing what I could, and then left. Didn't worry too much about my money, just left and didn't go back. Never will go back I hope. However this woman is my best friend's mother... so it makes things interesting. I just hope I get to live long enough to forget this :rolleyes: