PDA

View Full Version : f 150 computer controlled tranny h***

captken
06-01-2003, 01:12 AM
after pulling the trailer on the highway at speeds of 65-70 mph, it works fine. come to a stop and accelerate, the tranny will not shift from 2nd into drive unless you manually shift into neutral then back to drive. when you disconnect the battery pos. terminal to reset the computer, it shifts fine. what could be the problem?

shifting in traffic all day, no problem. go on the highway and the problems begin.

94 f150 351 engine, 125k miles.

captken
06-01-2003, 10:10 AM
This problem only occures when towing the trailer. Never had a problem with the truck on the highway without the trailer.

captken
06-02-2003, 02:29 AM
no ideas?

Potomac Lawns Inc.
06-02-2003, 08:20 PM
are you towing in drive or overdrive?

captken
06-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Yes, I tow using the od. I have tried using just third. It still shifts extremely hard and will not shift into high.
What are you thinking when you asked about towing in od?
Do you think this is part of the problem?
I want to know from others if they have experienced the same thing, and what they did to fix it.
I had a 93' Bronco that did the same thing. I didn't know about resetting the computer and by Mistake, took it to AAMCO for a "remanufactured" tranny. They rebuilt mine,charged me [2800] luckly I got the extended warranty. They never did completly fix the problem, it ended up being rebuilt 2 more times, and finally They ended up putting one in from a junkyard, and I sold it within a week of getting it out of the shop.
Each time AAMCO kept the truck a minimum of one month.
I wonder if this is a common problem with the Ford aeod transmission. AAMCO says this tranny is heavyduty.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
06-03-2003, 04:49 PM
if towing a trailer you should not be in overdrive i would check your owners manual to see what they recomend

Seon
06-03-2003, 04:52 PM
I had a similar thing happened on my F350. Ford shop changed a speed senor located in the rear end. Fixed it.

captken
06-05-2003, 05:25 AM
hmmm...was the diagnostics expensive and take a lot of time? I quit using od for towing. more power, probably less strain on tranny.
where is the location of the speed sensor on rear end?

Woody82986
06-16-2003, 01:51 AM
I pull my trailer with a 99 F-150 ext cab V8. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was by my best friend who works at the Ford House in our city. He ahowed me the bill for the least lawn guy who pulled for too long in overdrive with his F-150. It was astronomical. I never ever never ever never ever pull my trailer in orverdrive especially on the highway. This advice could be different for different trucks but I know personally that you don't need to be pulling a trailer anywhere with an F-150 in overdrive. It might take some getting used to remembering to hit the button but it will help. U might find that it pulls better too.

plowboy81
06-16-2003, 02:08 AM
You have an E40D transmission. Your Bronco had the same one. Ford had a problem with those transmission until 98 when they changed them. Talk to the ford dealer because they can hook it up to a computer program and change the shift pattern. Hope this helps. If it don't, try putting a shift kit in it from B&M. Good luck.