PDA

View Full Version : Nutralene verus polymer SCU

xpnd
06-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Has anyone used both products? Is the premium price for Nutralene justified in slower fert release and slower growth over the polymer SCU? Comments of turf color quality would also be appreciated. Thanks

Chad@LebanonTurf
06-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Use Meth Ex 40 or Mesa from Lebanon Turf. Meth Ex 40 is the new and improved version of the Nutralene product. THe growth characteristics of the MEth Ex and Mesa are much slower than the PCSCU product and the color is phenomenal. You have never seen this green w/out the growth before. THe MESA product is priced more in line with the PCSCU product because it is not a homogeneous product like METH Ex 40. Although the nitrogen is totally homogeneous. MESA is made from METH Ex 40 and Ammonium Sulfate in one particle. You get an instant greening effect from the AS and longevity from the METH EX 40. Using methylene urea products is a lot better agronimically than the PCSCU, even the ones Lebanon produces. We all know the importance of Sulfur from the PCSCU product, but the MESA product has just as much sulfur coming from the Ammonium Sulfate product. Give it a try and I'll guarantee you'll like it and be a repeat user.

HBFOXJr
06-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Nutralene makes gorgeous turf.

Grassmechanic
06-01-2003, 01:00 PM
used both and, quite frankly, if both are used at the same rate of N, there was no noticable difference that I could see (this was on bent fairways and Ky. blue roughs). Save the $$$ and go with poly.

Mike

mac43rn
06-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Lebanon,

I really like Lebanon products, however, the company I purchase from has raised their prices dramatically. For example. The Lebanon 5-5-20 with dimension is selling for $30.00 for a 50lb bag. Kind of hard to make money when I can get similar product from Lesco at half that price. Is there any other distributor in the Evansville, IN area that handels Lebanaon products, for decent prices?

43mac@adelphia.net

thanks

Ray@LebanonTurf
02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
There is a huge difference between SCU and low end polymer enhanced SCU and methylene ureas like Meth-Ex 40 or MESA. SCU is subject to early [catastrophic] release due to premature cracking of the coatings that ocurres when these products are handled after manufacture. Some attrition is alway present but with the really cheap SCUs it can be as high as 35%. That means that 35% of the SCU in the product behaves just like urea. The result is that you need to use less N and make more frequent applications to avoid flush growth, overstimulation, etc.

Methylene urea products, unlike coated products, rely on microbial breakdown to release. They actually feed soil microbes and are more reliable and generally last longer.

At the end of the day turf loves N so you might not notice a difference between poly/scu and Meth-Ex on a single application. The circumstances of the application, weather, rate, etc. can all conspire to make a marginal N look good and vice versa. The difference is always evident over the long haul with methylene ureas producing healthier turf with less loss to leaching and volitilization.........................

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

timturf
02-11-2004, 05:10 PM
A lot of varience in the different scu, and polmer coated products! Depends on the manufactur of product!
I personal wouldn't normorally use any scu product, only exception is in my pre emerge control, and I can't buy it without 50% of nitrogen from scu.

To me, scu is the worst slow release nitrogen source available, my opion only

scottt
02-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I think I will try nutralene on our fescue here. It is common in my area to put down two ferts on fescue in late winter and spring. I think I will try one app. now of 21-7-14 with 30% nutralene and fe and other micros at 3 pounds per k. At a little under $13 a bag that comes out to $1.28 per k. If it turns out like I hope, I will make more money than the competition on my second app. with the same results. In the fall we do one winterizer app. and I think I will go with a regular scu to make sure nutrients are released in time and to save money. Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

grassguy_
02-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I've used both products and I'm partial to the Nutralene, simply seemed to do a better job for color longevity. But on a comparison side by side at the same time there probably isn't much difference, especially if you're using a higher % PSCU.

Rtom45
02-12-2004, 06:34 AM
lebanon:
Are these fertilizers available as combination products? (I probably should go look at a catalog, but I'm here now so I'm asking).

Chad@LebanonTurf
02-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Look for our ProScape line including our homogeneous combination products in addition to our combination products consisting of MESA homogeneous Nitrogen.

As for Evansville, IN dealers you woul dneed to call our rep DOn Botkin at 937-642-3229.

fertit
04-30-2005, 12:53 AM
It has a nice upfront- and contrary to chad's statement, it has nothing to do with what Lebanon sells in Mesa- that is a totally different product, as you may have read in his repsonse. Nutralene will provide a nice quality turf over the growign season at reasonable application rates.

SOMM
04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Ray & Chad speak well of value comparisons.

Lebanon MESA products have helped us retain more customers, than those with SCU or polyon combos. The time release is well into the 12th and even 14th week, and doesn't surge with heat and profuse storm water or overwatering the way SCU or polyon combos do. Hence you get what you pay for and pay for what you get in this arena.

SCU also has a nasty effect upon irrigated lawns(especially without rain gauges) causing actual blackening of the topsoil surface with a black fungus that makes turf sparser in mid May through June.

Check out the Pictures Forum posts we just did: "Estate Quality Grounds" to see for yourselves.
Or ask an independent expert who's our turfgrass Hero:
http://www.plantpathology.msu.edu/profiles/vargas.htm