PDA

View Full Version : Wet Saws for paver installs

Striper
06-01-2003, 09:04 PM
I am starting to get a lot of paver jobs. The cost of renting a wet saw can be pretty expensive. I am looking to buy a wet saw and wanted to get some advise. What should I look for? How much horse power? Size blade? Name brand? Thanks for any suggestions.

SCL
06-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Depends on what you got to spend! If you got the cash, lay out the +$2k for the gas Edco or Americutter, they're great. If you only got a grand, its hard to beat the MK1070, but its electric. I think there's been discussion on this before, but thats my $.02. Personally, I have the MK, but I want the Americutter.

Rex Mann
06-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Striper,

Why a wet saw? Are you doing pavers in a confined area or are you doing intricate patterns?

I have an EDCO 14" wet saw. It has a 5.5 HP Honda engine. Plenty of power and great versatility.

Only drawback is it is very heavy (2 guys) and, it is top heavy. I'd suggest getting the factory stand. It's pricey, but worth it.

I'd stay away from electric. Not allot of power. And, if you blow a breaker and the homeowner is away your out-of-luck.

Peace,

Rex Mann

ksland
06-02-2003, 10:55 PM
A 10" Diamond blade on a mitre saw works great for me dry, Have done 4 walks and 1 patio and blade still has 75% left on it.

SCL
06-03-2003, 12:58 PM
And in a few more jobs when you get some more dust in the motor of that mitre saw you'll have a $250 boat anchor:)

SCL
06-06-2003, 11:55 PM
One other drawback to electric saws. If it rains and they aren't properly grounded, either due to the house wiring(very common) or a non grounded extension cord, your're gonna get "tickled". Its happened before, but I just got "reminded" today.:blob2: Wet saw, wet cords, wet jeans, aluminum saw horses, you get the idea.LOL

Mgardner
06-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Is there a table for a Stihl 14" gas? If there is a table that would work for the Stihl or Partner ,we will go that route because of the ease of transporting it. We used a Partner on a patio with a lot of cuts and it had a $250. diamond blade. Cut very nice with the good blade. It was a freebe for doing the job so....Last week we rented a Target with a 5 hp Honda. Fun dragging it out at 8"30 PM after a one day rental due back early next AM

Rex Mann
06-12-2003, 02:15 AM
Great looking work. And the design is way cool.

Peace,

Rex

Mgardner
06-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the compliment ! I would like to shift from maintenance to just patio`s and walks -driveways . Customer wanted the leftover materials. Not. Had about a half of pallet of mixed .

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-15-2003, 04:19 PM
I use a 10 " Felker wet saw , had for about 5 years now... Very happy with the machine overall... has plenty of power for what I have cut and I have run wall caps through the thing... as far a breakers blowing out on you , well then you need to have a small generator to back you up....or just ask the client if they know what the breaker is rated for on the outside... chances are during the day nothing else will be running on that circut or its dedicated and you shouldnt have to worry about it unless you have some reiduculous sized saw... Never had a breaker blow under normal usage....