PDA

View Full Version : BHB eat your heart out; my new truck

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Here it is, my new truck its finally here.

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:13 PM
of course it's a PSD

HarryD
06-01-2003, 10:16 PM
take some pics in the daytime for us

phillylawnking1
06-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Nice Truck its the same color has my 99 F-250.

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:20 PM
harry ill get the daytime in tomorrow. Tonite has been my first free time in since i picked it up yesterday.
Front view

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:24 PM
me pointing to PSD and f350 decals

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Inside shot

drobson
06-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Very nice truck.... Can't wait to see the daytime pics..

dlandscaping
06-01-2003, 10:36 PM
The truck is a 03 f350 supercab xlt psd. It has the 6.0l psd with torqueshift auto. It has the plow package, skid plates, heavy duty suspension, 3.73 limitedslip axle, payload package, keyless entry, trailer mirrors with heat and signals, privacy glass, rear sliding window, bedliner, trailer hitch, cab steps, shift on the fly 4*4, adjustable gas and brake pedals, power seats power everything. Its a sweet sweet truck.

wriken
06-01-2003, 11:46 PM
pretty soon it will be all grass clippings and dust inside, nice truck I have a 02 powerstroker

DanTheGrassman
06-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
The truck is a 03 f350 supercab xlt psd. It has the 6.0l psd with torqueshift auto. It has the plow package, skid plates, heavy duty suspension, 3.73 limitedslip axle, payload package, keyless entry, trailer mirrors with heat and signals, privacy glass, rear sliding window, bedliner, trailer hitch, cab steps, shift on the fly 4*4, adjustable gas and brake pedals, power seats power everything. Its a sweet sweet truck.

I bought my 2003 f350 power stroke diesel in December but I opted for the 7.3L engine. I heard many bad things about the new 6.0L engine. My mechanic was one of the local people who tested the new diesel (6.0L) while it was in production prior to release. He said that many bugs need to be ironed out and he personally would not buy the 6.0 engine until next year when all the bugs are ironed out. Firstly there was a problem with a labour dispute, then there was a recall on sub-standard parts.

Are you sure about the plow prep package is included? When I bought mine the plow prep package is not available on the diesel models but only on the gas engine models....because of the weight restrictions here would put it in a different GVWR category, and secondly it would have voided the ford dealership warranty when you stick a plow on the truck.

Just asking because i'm curious.

Dan

Simone Lawn Service
06-02-2003, 02:51 AM
That's what I affectionately refer to as a "Man Truck"...Two more years and I can get a new one. Any plans for a plow for this winter? You've definitely got the power to push snow.:)

Keith
06-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by DanTheGrassman

Are you sure about the plow prep package is included? When I bought mine the plow prep package is not available on the diesel models but only on the gas engine models....because of the weight restrictions here would put it in a different GVWR category, and secondly it would have voided the ford dealership warranty when you stick a plow on the truck.

Just asking because i'm curious.

Dan

You can get the diesel and snow plow prep package with regular cabs and supercab shortbeds, as far as I know. No snow plow package on crewcabs or longbed supercab diesels.

DanTheGrassman
06-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Keith
You can get the diesel and snow plow prep package with regular cabs and supercab shortbeds, as far as I know. No snow plow package on crewcabs or longbed supercab diesels.

Well i guess that answers my question if it's true/ I got a supercab or cab plus whatever you wan't to cal it plus the long bed (8ft box). It's a ***** when it comes to turning radius, but damn it's a street legal tank when it comes to snowplowing and hauling heavy loads.

Oh yeah someone else was mentioning in another thread about 0-60 and how fast it moves...the other day a bloody kid just barely over 16 by the looks of it and blasting his music super loud in his honda civic decided he would like to race me from the red light. Man I was lucky the truck bed empty just came from the car wash and I was greased up and full of hormones. I laid some diesel smoke when the turbos kicked in when it hit green and never looked back. The next light the bozo decided he wanted a re-race because we were now in a residential zone so i just kept going.

But the moral of the story is Ive never ever raced any of my cars but as soon as I bought my 350 I feel like superman, my uncle who owns a parts shop has been begging me to put a banks system on the truck (extra horsepower) and would do it at his cost so long as I advertise a small space on the truck, I said no maybe next year when the truck is mine and paid off.

dlandscaping
06-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Yes plow for winter,
Had a break down already at 124 rpg valve? had to be towed to dealer took 4hrs killed my day for doing lawns.

fblandscape
06-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Why do people insist on racing with their trucks? I know I don't buy to race, I buy to work. What happens when a cop stops you for illegal street racing and gives you a nice fat ticket, locks you up, impounds your truck, whatever. Or what happens if somebody pulls out in front of you and you wreck?

BSDeality
06-02-2003, 10:16 PM
way to be a thread pooper fblandscape! :D :D :

drobson
06-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Not to mention the great advertising to your existing and potential clients if your name is on your truck...

brucec32
06-03-2003, 12:09 AM
I chuckle when I read of guys with trucks "racing" . Even my relatively quick Tundra (0-60 in 7.8 seconds) can be blown off the road by fairly modest cars these days. My wife's 4 cylinder car is faster than that.

Drag racing a HD turbo truck is like having the best looking girlfriend in prison. Not that impressive.

Try stopping your beast suddenly from high speed sometime and note it takes the length of a football field. Be careful out there.

drobson
06-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Drag racing a HD turbo truck is like having the best looking girlfriend in prison. Not that impressive.

That is very funny... I will have to remember that for future use.

mag360
06-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
I chuckle when I read of guys with trucks "racing" . Even my relatively quick Tundra (0-60 in 7.8 seconds)

:D :D :D HAHAHA!!!!! "relatively quick tundra" haha Tundra.

No offense---7.8 is pretty good---I've just never put "toyota" and "truck" or "fast" in the same sentence before.;) It feels kinda good:)

Nozzleman
06-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Yes plow for winter,
Had a break down already at 124 rpg valve? had to be towed to dealer took 4hrs killed my day for doing lawns.

What exactly is a 124 rpg valve breakdown?

I hope you have good luck with your new 6.0 because I have heard alot of negative feedback on it.

I do like the look of the Ford Superduty but I am a Dodge man so it was a 2003 Ram 2500 4X4 with a High Output Cummins for me.

Don't you love that new truck smell.:D

dlandscaping
06-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry about that Nozzleman, it was late.
After 124 miles on it (two days after i took delivery) it broke down. I had to be towed to the dealer and wasted 4 hrs of my day. They said it was a faulty erg or rpg i cant remember valve. It caused the emission control light to stay on and then i lost all power, i couldnt drive about 20 mph and fuel went straight to the exhaust causing smoke to pour out of the truck. I was not happy to say the least and the dealer tried to make me wait but i refused to leave until they fixed it. Im at 200 miles now and problem free. Ill keep the updates coming.

Nozzleman
06-04-2003, 11:23 AM
dlandscaping, it was most likely the EGR valve since the 6.0 has one for emissions. One reason I bought my Cummins this year is because I got the redesigned "quieter" engine without the EGR valve that will be installed on all Cummins engines built after 1-1-04.

Should you have any questions or want to learn about the new 6.0 try going to http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

Krois Landscaping
06-21-2003, 10:17 PM
dlandscaping-

how bout' an update on your 6.0L? How many miles are on it now and have you had any more problems with it? What mpg are you getting with it?

Bryan

dlandscaping
06-22-2003, 12:32 AM
3 Week update on truck.
Been back to dealer twice and third appointment scheduled is tuesday.
It has 1070 miles on it as of tonight.
New problems include:
driver's side door glass is scratched from going down in door
smoke at cold starts, hesitation in acceleration (same symptoms as egr vavle), loss of power when pulling or uphill driving, smoking after acceleration, engine whistling above 35mph, engine knocking occasionally above 35mph, and best of all a whopping 10-13 mpg for fuel economy, this was mostly empty driving and about 800 of the mileage was highway. Not too happy to say the least.

jsr2741
06-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Dlandscape, while I really like the ford, especially becuase of the 4 full doors and roomy cab, I would if I were you seriuosly think about getting on fords butt about buying it back. I could tell by the look on your face you are very proud of that truck and rightly so but to continually put up with all that grief is costing you money in down time.

This new motor is going to be Fords waterloo, I dont think there's anything they're going to be able to do to rectify the problems and from what I've been seeing, Ford's willingenss to stand behind this truck engine is almost a joke.

I can see having a problem shortly after purchase, especially with a new design but to have the samething occur again along with other added engine related problems after only 1k is rediculous. At least see if they'll swap you for another truck, you might get the one that actually won't **** out on you.

I really hate seeing guys save their hard earned money to buy something they've been wanting and then find out that not only is there a problem but a continual problem not only with the truck they bought but the majority of the trucks produced.

I myself am a Cummins man and if Ford had that engine in their truck one would be sitting in my driveway. All I can say is good luck and keep us updated.

mdb landscaping
06-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by brucec32

You obviously havent been around too many suped up diesels....:D ive seen some pretty sick diesels that can romp on a lot of nice cars. My truck alone runs 14 sec quarter miles, and thats pretty darn quick in my opinion for a 6500 lb diesel. some of the cummins are running low 13s!!! buy a powerbox for your diesel, and youll understand why people race em:D i have yet to come across a suped up 6 liter powerstroke, but i obliterated a 7.3 liter that had a banks exhaust, intake, hypertech and box.

Nozzleman
06-22-2003, 02:56 PM
dlandscaping, jsr2741 is right. Get on ford to buy the truck back. Check the Mass lemon law for the procedure in your state and make sure the dealer document's everything that is done to your truck. I have read of quite a few buybacks on the site I gave the link to in my earlier post.

If you get ford to buy back your truck and you still want a diesel get a Dodge/ Cummins or GM/Duramax but If you have to have another Ford then get a gasser.

I really feel for you because if it was me I would be BULL*****. Also, don't buy into the dealers B.S. of "we will fix it" because I was in another site that is run by ford tech's that is designed to allow the tech's to communicate with one another on how to fix the 6.0 and the reason they had to form this site is because Ford does not know how to fix there own product and have left the tech's to fend for themselves.

Good luck.

Keith
06-23-2003, 02:48 AM
They are going to get the 6.0 right, it's just a matter of time. Me personally, I just can't do what some of the 6.0 guys are having to go through. Just too much potential down-time. Maybe you get a good one, but you never can tell. To get one lemon-lawed takes quite a few service visits and down time, I just wouldn't have the patience. Maybe you get lucky and the dealer buys it back and sells you another, again something I don't want to deal with :(

I had every intention on getting a new 6.0 a year ago. I waited it out and let most of the 7.3's get sold. I may wait it out until the time comes when they get it right, I don't know yet :confused: The more I look at the gassers the more I like the idea of getting into a truck a whole lot cheaper. Yeah, I will have to hear the ridicule of diesel guys...but who cares :D I don't need need a diesel, nor do I need a crewcab 4x4 XLT. But when I look at a stripped XL with a diesel vs. a fairly well equiped XLT V10 for less money...the gasser looks better to me right now. I'd love to have a new, reliable loaded 4x4 Powerstroke, but the reality is...it isn't going to happen.

Note: My opinion on this subject may change hourly :p

dlandscaping
06-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Nozzleman is right.
Ford dont know how to fix my psd!! They are clueless and they have a 6.0 tech hotline, got me no where. So if any one has any idea what must be done to stop smoky starts, vibrating cab, hesitation in drive gear and bad mileage and uneven idling give me a pm pleasee. I d like my truck back. O yes for ford to buy back they get 4 chances thats the lemon law otherwise no go.

lawnkid
06-25-2003, 11:35 PM
dlandscaping,
Very nice truck. How do you find time to make that much money to afford a truck like that. I cut 16 lawns a week and although I make pretty good money, I couldn't afford a truck like that. How you gonna plow, aren't you in school?

jsr2741
06-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Have you posted this question on thedieselstop.com. I would imagine if anyone is going to be able to guide you through this, those guys will. Especially since their dealing with the same B.S. you are.

Spend the 30 or 40 bucks it cost to join that site and get the info you need.

Although I'm a Cummins man, I would not buy another Dodge if they were having the problems Ford is, I 'd bite the bullet and go Ford or Chevy. If you get your truck bought back resist the temptation to buy another Ford till the problems are ironed out otherwise you will not get any sympathy here.

dlandscaping
06-26-2003, 11:41 PM
If it gets bought back i ll wait for a generation 2 6.0l psd or a duramax allison combo. Ive been reading on the diesel stop and i registered. Man i never heard of so many problems with one engine. Ive got ford covering a payment for a month, its going back around the end of the month since ford is coming out with new software to recalibrate the engines. It seems they cant get over this latest rough idle smoking starts problem which i have.
Lawnkid 14 hr days 7 days a week thats how and yes in the winter i was realll lucky this past yr 110" and no missed school.

lawnkid
07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Are you talking about 6 hours of school and 8 hours of work or straight work? Man, if I did that much, I wouldn't have time for a social life. What your doing is great andI support it but don't you wanna enjoy your teenage years, you got your whole life to work.

Keith
07-28-2003, 01:43 PM
dlandscaping, any luck getting your 6.0 fixed?

dlandscaping
07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
No luck yet.
2850 miles on it as of today it just turned 8 weeks old. I still have numerous problems. The biggie is the 13mpg i am getting. I was told i would get 20's since it does 10% than the 7.3l psd. I am doing unloaded driving mostly highway and i get 13 something is not right but they try to give me bs. I just sent the ford disputement board their papers. I will go before them in 10 days and present a case. They will decide the outcome 6 days after that meeting and then we ll see what happens from there.
Other problems to let you know about include: no 4*4low range, drivers doors dont close and rattle like madd, bad mileage, smoke at startups, hesitation in gear after starting, metal grinding noise when switching from R to D yes i do come to complete stops, paint bubbling on hood, passenger side mirror is defective causing a highpitch whistle noise, tailgate is missing a piece and has fallen off randomly, lack of power going up hills, smoke after going above 35 and the smell of diesel like crazy at any stop.

Keith
07-28-2003, 05:28 PM
I was really hoping they would work this thing out, but they are coming up on about 9 months of having this engine in production trucks and they seem as bad as ever. I need a freaking truck and waited it out for a 6.0.

jsr2741
07-29-2003, 10:59 PM
I'd say it's time to tell your dealer to fix it or it'll be parked on your lot and a letter from my attorney will be sent. Man, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. Got to make you sick at your stomach.

As far as the mileage, my buddy's new psd did the samething. He took it in and they reprogrammed the timming on it and that seemed to fix the problem.

Good luck

dlandscaping
07-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Steve
what is he getting now?
Mine has dropped to about 10 for city/highway its unreal. They reprogrammed it three times already.

jsr2741
07-30-2003, 04:36 PM
He went from 21 to 15 in one trip. Fortunately he's got a friend who's a Ford master mechanic and after the re-program its back to around 19. He hasn't pulled anything substantial yet though so we'll see how long it stays fixed when he does.

See if the dealer has a used 7.3 for you to use while they muddle their way through fixing your truck. Hell I'd ask them to swap you for another new one.

Good luck.

Keith
07-30-2003, 05:47 PM
It seems all the flashes for the truck are hit and miss. There is supposed to be a fix-all flash available in Sept. after being delayed from August. Seems like they are all beta versions, who knows when they will get it right :confused:

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:42 PM
guess you never drove a twin turbo Supra then.

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by KLC99
:D :D :D HAHAHA!!!!! "relatively quick tundra" haha Tundra.

No offense---7.8 is pretty good---I've just never put "toyota" and "truck" or "fast" in the same sentence before.;) It feels kinda good:)

THIS SPOT:

Guess you never drove a twin turbo Supra then!:rolleyes:

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:45 PM
3 Week update on truck.
Been back to dealer twice and third appointment scheduled is tuesday.
It has 1070 miles on it as of tonight.
New problems include:
driver's side door glass is scratched from going down in door
smoke at cold starts, hesitation in acceleration (same symptoms as egr vavle), loss of power when pulling or uphill driving, smoking after acceleration, engine whistling above 35mph, engine knocking occasionally above 35mph, and best of all a whopping 10-13 mpg for fuel economy, this was mostly empty driving and about 800 of the mileage was highway. Not too happy to say the least.

of buying new. How much was that truck anyway? 35K?

Mike Bradbury
08-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Nozzleman
dlandscaping, jsr2741 is right. Get on ford to buy the truck back. Check the Mass lemon law for the procedure in your state and make sure the dealer document's everything that is done to your truck. I have read of quite a few buybacks on the site I gave the link to in my earlier post.

If you get ford to buy back your truck and you still want a diesel get a Dodge/ Cummins or GM/Duramax but If you have to have another Ford then get a gasser.

I really feel for you because if it was me I would be BULL*****. Also, don't buy into the dealers B.S. of "we will fix it" because I was in another site that is run by ford tech's that is designed to allow the tech's to communicate with one another on how to fix the 6.0 and the reason they had to form this site is because Ford does not know how to fix there own product and have left the tech's to fend for themselves.

Good luck.

On the GM forums they say "buy the Ford" if you want a diesel because of all the problems with THIER'S!
Chrysler's quality has been sh*t for some years now. Heard stories of their HD "breaking" behind the cab? Bed or frame?
I understand the lust for "new", but give me a solid OLD truck that the garage on the corner can fix any time.

dlandscaping
08-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Truck was 40,075 all said and done. I had another problem today. The turbocharger valve and icp valve need to be replaced.

Heron Cove PM
08-02-2003, 10:23 AM
dlandscaping

I know you are busy... But what is the build date on your truck? It's on the door tag. When you get a chance, can you please post?

Tvov
08-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Mike Bradbury

Chrysler's quality has been sh*t for some years now. Heard stories of their HD "breaking" behind the cab? Bed or frame?

I don't know if this has anything to do with actual breaking, but friends have told me that the newer Dodge trucks don't have a solid frame from front to back. They are welded together right behind the cab, so that it is easier (supposedly) to put on all the different body styles. As a welder friend told me, if they are welded correctly, the weld is actually stronger than the frame. Friends who have the Dodges haven't had any problem with them "breaking".

Mike Bradbury
08-02-2003, 11:47 AM
shoulda - as I have no personal experience with them.:cry:

jsr2741
08-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Dl, know your busy and whatnot but it's time to walk in and make Ford do right by you. Tell your dealer to either replace it or he'll be hearing from your attorney.

I think you've shown more than enough restraint and they've had ample opportunity (what 4 times its been back now) to repair the truck. Hell as much as those trucks are going down you'd think they'd have some grasp as to what to do to fix it by now.

Good luck.

p.s., Do yourself a favor and go buy the Dodge, once you catch that Cummins fever you'll never go back. JMHO

dlandscaping
08-02-2003, 06:03 PM
it was in march 03 i belive
the actual date was the 23 if i remember right.

Dan's lawn care
08-03-2003, 01:30 PM
You guys must not know the power of DSL. There is a f350 4 door long bed powerstroke in my town runing 12's in 1/4 mile :eek: . I say screw Imports supras are slow. Now give me a older Muscle car then its a whole different tune.:D

Mike Bradbury
08-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Dan's lawn care
You guys must not know the power of DSL. There is a f350 4 door long bed powerstroke in my town runing 12's in 1/4 mile :eek: . I say screw Imports supras are slow. Now give me a older Muscle car then its a whole different tune.:D

REPEAT:
You've obviously never driven a TWIN TURBO Supra..........:dizzy:

Keith
08-04-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Mike Bradbury
REPEAT:
You've obviously never driven a TWIN TURBO Supra..........:dizzy:

True. I am not a big fan of imports in general, but I like Supras and RX7s (newer ones) A trip out to the track and watching a Supra knock down a 10.50 1/4 is a humbling experience :o I know...there are faster ones than that by a long shot.

Dan's lawn care
08-04-2003, 09:09 PM
i will never drive an import cus in the end a mucle car WILL always be faster :D

Mike Bradbury
08-06-2003, 03:08 AM
i will never drive an import cus in the end a mucle car WILL always be faster :D

My friend loves nothing more than smoking IROC's and Vettes with his 280hp (rw) turbo Miata. Been with him many times. Light weight makes up for a LOT of horsepower. Did you know there are 4 cyl imports making more than 500 hp???????? I like muscle cars too, but they aren't the only game in town. It's a lot of fun seeing the looks on the faces of guys like you after seeing the taillights of a little ole Mazda. :)
You should get out more. :D

Dan's lawn care
08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
LOL I should get out more :rolleyes: in a straght line muscle will allways be king:D Yeah i do have respect for the 6ers and the four bangers that are fast but I just like muscle cars better for striaght line racing. For road cousre i would always pick an Import ;)

Mike Bradbury
08-07-2003, 08:44 PM
LOL I should get out more :rolleyes: in a straght line muscle will allways be king:D Yeah i do have respect for the 6ers and the four bangers that are fast but I just like muscle cars better for striaght line racing. For road cousre i would always pick an Import ;)

I WAS talking about drag racing.:rolleyes:

Movinfr8
08-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Mike,
Speaking of Twin Turbo Supras, Which I have lusted after for years, I seem to recall that you can bump the HP to the 450 -500 range by adding an adjustable wastegate only. What i read said the clutch became the weak point, but still, 500 HP would pretty well SMOKE any camaro SS, I think

Nozzleman
08-19-2003, 07:03 PM
dlandscaping, any new news on your ford or are you still getting the runaround.

dlandscaping
08-22-2003, 12:23 AM
hey nozzleman,
I got mail from the Ford Disputement Board recently. It will be another 28 days until i actually get to the board. Since mileage use is taken into effect i get screwed since i put 400-500 miles a week on my truck. tHANKS FORD

Keith
08-30-2003, 02:13 AM
I thought they could only charge you for mileage before the first time it was brought in for problems :confused:

dlandscaping
08-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Keith,
I am not sure it just says usage in all my papers.

Boycea
09-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Any update on the problem ??

dlandscaping
09-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Ford is buying it back in full. There is no usage since i had problems since day one.

jsr2741
09-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Well dl now the big question, are you going to buy another ford.

troblandscape
10-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Three letters GMC

Mike Bradbury
10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
just don't get THEIR diesel! :)

dlandscaping
10-08-2003, 10:27 PM
I have no idea
Each one has had their horror stories. Trying to go for the Isuzu mpr or w/e but the neighbors arent too happy with that.

brucec32
10-08-2003, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately, most roads tend to actually curve. : )

Give me a BMW 540i any day.