PDA

View Full Version : plants

colonel landscaping
06-02-2003, 08:29 AM
anyone know what type of plants would be good for the fall season? one of my customers wants plants that bloom in the fall and i have no idea so i thought id jump on here and ask... the location North eastern us .. south eastern ct

Lanelle
06-02-2003, 09:14 AM
For perennials, Japanese anenome, russian sage, bluebeard, asters, mums, scabiosa. For a tree, try Prunus Autumalis (Autumn flowering Cherry) and for a shrub--butterfly bushes tend to bloom until hit with a hard frost. Ornamental Grasses look great in the fall. And for the annual color beds -- pansies.

Grassmechanic
06-02-2003, 10:04 AM
and don't forget Sedum "Autumn Joy", and mums. For shrubs, you can't beat Hydrangea "Tardiva".

Mike

mdvaden
06-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Everything looks fine so far except Autumn Higan Cherry - Prunus subhirtilla 'Autumnalis' if that's the one I'm thinking of.

Its a gnarly nasty mess for branching and disease 97% of the time.

I'm not sure how late Rose of Sharon blooms - but the lavender color ones look better than the pinks. The lavender look two-tone when the spent blossoms become a shade of blue.

If you are after color more than just blossom, maybe Burning Bush.

Grassmechanic
06-04-2003, 10:43 PM
mdvaden - rose of sharon is August - Sept. blooming and I agree with you, the lavender varieties are spectacular. Also colonel, I forgot to add hamamelis virginiana and if you're looking for another shrub with nice fall foliage, try clethra alnifolia. Clethra is as beautiful in the fall as in the summer.

Mike

Green Goblin
06-07-2003, 11:00 PM
swamp sunflower, hardy hibiscus, perennial mum 'Sheffield', fall color Itea, Oakleaf hydrangea, fothergilla,

AGLA
06-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Flowering shrubs would include lots of other Hydrangeas especially Nikko Blue that will continue with high impact well into the fall. Potentilla and several Spireas will bloom continually late into the season. There are plenty of Roses including shrub type roses that make a strong color statement in the fall.

Don't overlook Chrysanthemums as powerful late season color.