PDA

View Full Version : Hydro seeding worth it?

blafleur
06-02-2003, 02:15 PM
I know area demand and competetion come into play. But I have what appears to be a good deal on a hydroseeder from someone getting rid that part of his business and was wondering if this is a good business to get into. I always take into consideration that there may be a reason that person is selling it as opposed to something else.

Thanks,
Bryan

Moguy
06-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Depends on the area and the competition as you said. Where I live hydroseeding is big, since there are a lot of new developments going up everywhere and cheaper than sod.

Lombardi
06-03-2003, 11:34 AM
In my area hydroseeding is highly promoted, but very rarely is successful. I even know a sod farm owner who agrees that hydroseeding is a joke, but he still bought a machine because he said the demand was there. He admits that the homeowner will be re-seeding the entire area a couple of months after being hydroseeded. I re-seed numerous yards every year that were originally hydroseeded.

blafleur
06-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have always had skepticism of the process, but I don't know much about it. I wont get into it if I cant feel it is a good product, business or not. Hard to top sod for a making a happy customer.

Bryan

SCL
06-04-2003, 09:33 AM
So find out what combination of products will be successful for your area and use those, don't cheapout on seed and mulch. I've had great results and nice stands of grass. I like hydroseeding and highly promote it. And no one else reseeds my lawns. I'm in a different climate so my mixes aren't applicable to your applications.

turfquip
06-04-2003, 07:52 PM
I even know a sod farm owner who agrees that hydroseeding is a joke

I would say he has a vested interest in making statements like that wouldn't you?

I re-seed numerous yards every year that were originally hydroseeded

Unfortunately, hydroseeding is like many other trades in that there are shady, unscrupulous operators who simply do a bad job.

But, assuming a job is done right, and that means proper soil preparation as well as application, about the only way it will fail is if the customer fails to water.

Don't get me wrong, you guys can say and believe anything you want about the process. I am not here to convert anybody but just think...if hydroseeding doesn't work then why is it's popularity increasing in virtually every sector of the country?

Don't answer....just think about it :eek:

The Good Earth
06-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Testify!!!!!:D

blafleur
06-05-2003, 09:24 AM
For some reason hydroseeding is not real common in our area. I see it most on the sides of the highways. It is used some in rural areas, I assume because of cost savings on larger yards. It is rare in urban Dallas, again I assume because the small yards make sodding affordable. So I really know little about the process. I cover both urban and rural areas so I am still open to it, as long as I know it works.

I assume the mulch keeps the seed in place better, and allows it to retain moisture. How well does it hold in heavy downpours. Do you reapply if some is washed away under warranty, or do you do this at an extra cost.

Thanks again to you answers to elementary questions.

Bryan

GreginAlaska
06-16-2003, 01:46 AM
I've hydro-seeded a couple hundred yards and have never had one fail. I've also done a number of highway jobs and never had any of them fail either. I do give very detailed instructions to homeowners on how to take care of their hydro-mulched yard and we go back and check on them. One common thing is for people to not water it enough.

muddstopper
06-19-2004, 11:06 AM
If you put the same effort into preping your lawn for hydroseed as you would for laying sod, then you pay strick attention to watering needs as you do for sod and if you also pay attention to fertilization needs as you would for a soded lawn. Then hydroseeding will perform as well as sod at less than half the price. On the other hand, if you just throw the sod ontop of poorly prepared soil dont keep it watered or fertilized, then the results will be very similar to a hydroseeded lawn that wasnt prepared or cared for properly except it would have cost you twice as much. As turfquip said, think about it.

kootoomootoo
06-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Some guys spray water...

Depends on whether your spraying green water or mulch or tack or co polymer or the amount of surface prep.

Did one two weeks ago ..added tack to mulch with tack already in it....looks a million dollars already! Had plenty of rain but 95%+ intact.

Will post before and after pic.

muddstopper
06-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by kootoomootoo
Some guys spray water...

The hydro seeding industry is no different than any other industry. There will always be people that take short cuts or skimp on materials. That is one reason we are forming the International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals, IAHP. It is our intention to provide a source of information not only for the hydro seeding professional but the homeowner as well. While we are not a fully organized organization as of yet, we are hoping to be able to provide the education necessary so that the hydro seeding contractor will be better able to perform the task of hydro seeding in a more correct and acceptable manner. Educating the consumer is also a necessary part of the hydro seeding process. Most consumers havenít even heard of hydro seeding and those that have think it is some sort of magic process that is simply sprayed on the ground and produces instant grass. They donít understand that hydro seeding is just like any other form of seeding and requires care and maintenance to insure quality results. Whether grass is seeded by conventional means such as broadcasting, slit or drill seeding or hydro seeded, and even when laid as sod, follow-up maintenance is required. The level of site prep, care and maintenance given any grass planting procedure will determine the finished product and the satisfaction level of the costumer.
In the past more attention has been given to mulch rates and types and machine types than has been given to the actual hydro seeding process. The reality is that most machines and mulches will grow grass as well as other types as long as the operator is aware of the requirements to perform the hydro seeding process. Having a better understanding of what the grass requirements are to survive will result in more satisfied costumers than the type of machine or mulch used ever will. Will we ever have a 100% professional hydro seeding industry, probably not, there will always be that person that buys a hydro seeding machine and thinks that they are now qualified to perform the hydro seeding process, just as there are people that purchase a lawnmower and think they are now lawn maintenance professionals. Hopefully the IAHP will be better able to educate those that want to achieve the level of professionalism that is needed to grow their own business and the hydro seeding industry. The IAHP has a long way to go before we will be in a position to provide the services and education necessary for the hydro seeding industry. Hopefully by aligning ourselves with manufacturers, Universities, and other organizations we will be able to start laying the foundation for an organization that can be of benefit to the hydro seeding contractor, the hydro seeding industry, and the hydro seeding consumer. This will not happen overnight and I am sure we will stumble and make some mistakes along the way but hopefully we will be able to overcome all obstacles as we strive to achieve our goals.

LeoS818
06-20-2004, 03:32 PM
We have had very good luck hydroing fescue and rye grasses. Last week I was asked to hydro buffalo seed. Has anyone done that? Any suggestions are very welcomed.

muddstopper
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Buffalo Grass isnt a grass type I use in my area but here is a link that might help.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/buffalo.html