PDA

View Full Version : 84 GMC Truck

CoachLinz
06-02-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm looking at a 1984 GMC High Sierra to possibly purchase for my lawn care business. I'm just starting out and can haul everything in the bed of a full size truck - I know someone else who does this and it works out fine. So, this one has 150K miles on it, but looks great on the outside. The engine only has 70K miles on it and the transmission was rebuilt 2 months ago. Brakes are also recent. It needs a muffler and left front wheel bearings. Also, it uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles according to the owner. After driving it, there was a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and it looks like the valve seals may be leaking. The smoke was coming from a metal hose that had oil on it which had leaked out and was then burning off. Is this probably an easy fix and no big deal or something more serious? I have a very limited budget to work with here. This is a part-time job - I'm a high school teacher and coach full-time so there isn't a ton of extra cash. (If there was, I wouldn't need to do anything part-time). Any thoughts?