PDA

View Full Version : How do you work your billing system?

studentlawn
06-02-2003, 07:19 PM
As of now, everytime we do work on a lawn, we send out a bill. This seems to be a huge waste of time, but yet it helps so I don't forget to add to someones bill. Yet I feel like im wasting my customers and my time as I seem to be sending out bills every week. I think I would get annoyed as a customer. How does everyone else work billing?... I need something effecient.

walker-talker
06-02-2003, 07:42 PM
I send a bill once a month. I have heard of a few that leave the bill on the front door at the end of each month.

MATT

dfor
06-02-2003, 08:28 PM
I keep a written log in a day planner. Add it to the computer billing system daily and an the end of the month I print and send the bills.

Great Estates
06-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I work from a daily schedule print out and then i mark my jobs complete in the computer each day as I go. If I have to add any side jobs I just type them in so I dont forget them. Then I can print out all my invoices at the end of the month. I was doing things manually like that last year but I got Gopher2003 at the begining of the season and it made a big difference.

smburgess
06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
My crews get a "Worksheet" each day with their route and any specials notes on the jobs. At the end of the month I set down and do invoices.

AltaLawnCare
06-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Great Estates
I work from a daily schedule print out and then i mark my jobs complete in the computer each day as I go. If I have to add any side jobs I just type them in so I dont forget them. Then I can print out all my invoices at the end of the month. I was doing things manually like that last year but I got Gopher2003 at the begining of the season and it made a big difference.

Exactly how I do it, except I use "GroundsKeeper Pro". ;)
Keeps a good record of how may cuts, when also.

The Green Way
06-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Yea I use the Gopher software too. The thing that is gonna be great especially this winter is that I can use it to pull together my invoicing when I plow.

Katwalk
06-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Last year we split our list down the middle....1/2 get billed on the 15th of the month and 1/2 at the end of the month. This has increased cash flow dramitically so that we seem to always have money coming in instead of the peaks and valleys. :cool:

AztlanLC
06-04-2003, 01:12 PM
pretty good advice Katwalk for anyone who needs steady income, speacially when you just starting out.

I sent my invoices monthly for all my regular customers, I use gopher2003 too, real good program.

I usually don't use the routing sheet, I made my own in word it includes all the customers that we have, it's separate from crews, it has space for the whole month, time in time out and date, and then I always give my employees empty forms for all those small extra jobs that customers require (weed out beds, plant couple flowers, etc.) big jobs are handle by a different crew.

They have to write down the date they did the property, and if they skip it that way if somebody is in blank for that week it means something is not right.

If anyone wants a copy of my sheet just let me know I'd be happy to share it.

The Green Way
06-04-2003, 02:35 PM
That is a good idea Katwalk, i never thought of that. I bet I could do that too. I can set up the customer categories in gopher and split my customers in half like that. Then generate one group of invoices in the middle part of the month and the others at the end. I dont know if i should be messing with that now during the season but i could start that for plowing in the winter and then maybe for next year's mowing season.

mtdman
06-05-2003, 12:42 AM
I keep a route list every week. As I do the lawns, they get marked off. I bill as "Week of" and use the date for the first day of the week, usually mondays. That way I don't have to worry about each date, etc. At the end of the month I go through and add everything to my Quickbooks program, and print out the bills. Mail 'em out. Works fine. I prefer to bill monthly, and don't like it when people pay out of turn or try to pay weekly. It's much easier for me to keep everything together monthly, and I like to include announcements, fliers, etc in the statements.

The only problem I have is when a month ends in the middle of the week. People who I actually mow the 1st or 2nd might get billed as the last week of the month, and they don't get it. But it only takes a moment to explain.

3 years ago I started a "Season Prepay" option to pay the season ahead of time. 10% discount, based on 26 weeks of mowing. If I don't use all 26, I give a refund, but usually try to trade for extra services in the fall. Works great, provides a lot of money up front.

The other thing I started was a "Package" where I added mowing and a few extra services, and a fall clean up, added it up and discounted it, and billed the same amount monthly for 7 months. Nice and easy, don't have to worry about dates, and people get extra stuff I don't provide with just mowing.

I have considered doing a paperless bill, emailing the statement instead of mailing. I don't know how many people will go for it, though.

studentlawn
06-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, I was given Estimates and Invoices Pro software and I started keeping a log book, this should help me out.

Katwalk
06-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Greenway.....with plowing we actually bill per storm because we do 44 residential and 4 small commercial lots. Residential billed per storm and commercial billed per month. Only one commercial plow account on a seasonal contract. Mowing is just more consistent once we actually get going for the year(late start here in the northeast) Plowing isn't guaranteed so we opt to bill per event. Oh yeah, we used to bill per month on plowing also but again, per storm greatly increased cash flow and eliminated the peaks and valleys of accounts receivable. Good luck

IndyPropertyCare
06-06-2003, 11:24 PM
TRy this out... We bill commercial accounts on the 5th of every month, and others on the 20th of each month. This helps keep a steady flow of income coming in.

Gene $immons
06-08-2003, 01:48 PM
We record all the work done each day in Quickbooks. We also keep a written copy in a three ring binder. At the end of each month, we print out invoices and mail them. We also include a reply envelope with our P.O. Box address printed on it. Many of the checks come in very fast.

AztlanLC
06-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey gene simmons, what services do you perform (landscaping or mowing) if you do mowing give gopher a try, I use to have quicbooks only but it's time consuming when you have lots of properties to maintain.

Just a suggestion