PDA

View Full Version : These are my truck options - HELP!

CoachLinz
06-03-2003, 12:06 AM
I'm on a serious budget here. I'm looking at $2000 max for a truck and the less I spend on a truck the more I can spend on better equipment - blower and trimmer. This is what I have found locally and I need a truck ASAP as I've already gotten calls for mulch jobs and lawn cutting - I put out flyers Friday and an ad started running today in the paper. Assuming all are in similar condition and will get on the road with inspection repairs for about the same price, what would you choose. I need to use it to haul my mowers and gear, and also to haul mulch, stone, etc (not at same time as mowers).

1- 84 GMC High Sierra - full-size w/ 8 ft bed - 150K miles, but engine replace with a 302 V8 from a car and has 70K miles - auto transmission is 2 months old - recent brakes and overall good condition - asking $1350

2- 86 Ford F-350 - 10 ft flatbed - 351 V8, auto - 125K miles - asking $700

3- 89 Ford F-150 XLT - 5.0 V8 - manual - 150K miles - xtd cab w/ 8 ft bed - asking $2400

I've looked at and driven the GMC already. I'm looking at the F-350 tomorrow and may look at the F-150 tomorrow night if I don't like the 350.

Which would you choose and why?

Silver_odd_o
06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I would narrow it down to the GMC or the F350. F-150's in those years with a 5.0 were junk IMO.

CoachLinz
06-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up not buying any of those. I bought an 85 GMC that is in almost perfect condition. Got it for $2000 from a retired guy who builds classic street rods as a hobby. He used to race them too. Anyway, he rebuilt the engine and overhauled the transmission about 2 years and it runs perfect. They just had too many cars/trucks and so wife made him sell his 57 Chevy and this GMC truck. He was asking more ($2450) and was going to reject my offer but his wife made him accept it. Picked it up tonight. Good thing too since I lined up 2 landscape jobs and 2 new lawns this week and need to start on those next week.

pottstim
06-07-2003, 03:28 AM
Congrats. Sounds like you got yourself a nice truck. What engine/trans combo does it have? 350 V8 and 700R4 trans? I really like those older style Chevy/GMC trucks. Hope you get great service out of it. BTW, I have some cousins that live in Bel Air. Small world. :)
Best of luck to you.

Tim

grassdaddy
06-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Don't do ANY pullin of trailers in Overdrive and you'll be fine.:)

Brickman
06-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by grassdaddy

YUP, the 700R4s weren't known to last for ever. I had a 85 Caprice Classic with that trans. And while I loved the 305 V8 and that trans the guy I bought it from had rebuilt it before I got it.

That trans will last a lot longer if you put a shift kit in it. Makes the shift points firm instead of soggy soft.

pottstim
06-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by grassdaddy

Grassdaddy is exactly right. Use D when you pull, not OD. My folks had 2 Astro vans with the 700R4. While they never had any problems with the transmissions, they were VERY shift happy from D to OD on the slightest grades. This was without towing or hauling anything. Brickman mentioned the shift kit. That would be a good idea, so would an auxilary trans cooler. I've heard the biggest killer of the 700 was excessive heat.

CoachLinz
06-07-2003, 04:53 PM
It has the 305 V8. It was rebuilt 2 years ago by the guy I bought it from. Not sure which tranny it's got, but he overhauled that and tweaked it a bit at the same time he rebuilt the engine. THe truck runs like a top. I've pulled a trailer before with my old Suburban so I know the drill there. Since I'm just starting, I'm working out of the truck for now. My plan is to buy a trailer next year (and hopefully a Z).

BTW - Just got another landscape job this morning, plus signed them up for weekly lawn maintenance - 20 min lawn for $30. Picked up a $50/week lawn on Friday. Things are looking good for only being "officially" (as in licensed,insured, etc) in business for 2 weeks. I had 3 lawns I've been doing for 8 years since I was in college, but with my wife not working now, I decided to give it a go for real. The landscape jobs are nice, but I want to pick up more lawns.

pottstim
06-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey Coach,
Congrats on your new jobs, that is great. If the shift pattern on the column of your truck is like this: (P-R-N-OD-D-2-1) then you have a 700R4 trans.

Tim

CoachLinz
06-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Tim,
Shift Pattern is -- P-R-N-D-2-1

BTW, what is your cousin's name? My next door neighbors have relatives in Tennessee.

Bryan

pottstim
06-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Coach,
Hey, I'm getting ready to send you a PM. About the trans in your truck. If it has that shift pattern, then you have the Turbo 350 3 spd auto, so it's not a 700R4. They are very good transmissions.

lawndreamer
06-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Glad you didn't pick the 84 Gmc with a 302 because a 302 is a Ford engine. That wouldn't be good knowing someone had to rig it up to make it work. I put an oldsmobile engine in a chevrolet truck before. Had to reroute exhaust cut and weld new drive shaft, and weld new motor mounts in it. It was never right, I wouldn't ever recommend it.